Found Hiker Dies

Old August 4th 05, 03:00 PM
Chris Foster

Default Found Hiker Dies

Found Hiker Dies

POSTED: 10:06 p.m. PST January 9, 2005

bakersfield-- -- A missing hiker found in the mountains near Kernville died
Friday night of Hypothermia.

Joe Nelson, 73, was found by Kern County Search and Rescue crews Friday
afternoon on the Whiskey Flat Trail near the town of Kernville.

Nelson was semi-conscious and lying in the snow.

He was taken to Kern Valley Hospital in Lake Isabella, where he died.

He had been missing since Thursday after leaving for a day hike in the Bull
Run Creek area.

Nelson was not dressed properly for the cold weather and had no emergency
supplies.

http://www.thebakersfieldchannel.com...35/detail.html