AVID Shorty 4 brake on Mountain Bike with road levers?

Old August 22nd 05, 08:46 PM
Pete Grey

Default AVID Shorty 4 brake on Mountain Bike with road levers?

Avid Shorty's are the best stopping brake I've used, and I've used quite a
few from the old XT Canti days and onward.
I did initially have some squealing with my first set, several years ago,
but Avid fixed the problem with those pads long ago.

The Tektro brakes are ok, if you use a really good and low-slung straddle
wire, but not as good as the Avid's for stopping, IMHO.

Just about any combo of either the 105 or LX deraileurs will work with that
cogset.

-pete

"Marty" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello rbt,

I'd like to setup a mountain bike with drop handlebars. So, I'd have
road brake levers (Shimano 105) and I'd like to know if I'd be able to
use them with the AVID Shorty 4 brakes and 26" mountain bikes wheels?

Also, would I be able to use a 105 rear derailleur on a mountain bike
frame with 26" mountain bike wheels with a 12/25 105 cogset?

I'm thinking of building such a bike for my daughter. It's kind of a
cross bike, but more towards mountain than road.

Thanks.
--
Marty