where can i get

Old August 22nd 05, 10:57 AM
Steve W

Default where can i get

Aluminium strip about 1/8" thick by 1/2" wide to make up some brackets for
my rack on my 'bent?

SW

Old August 22nd 05, 11:32 AM
Andy M-S

Most large hardware stores have a selection of metal sheet and rod
stock; at my local Menards, I can get steel and aluminum in many shapes
and sizes, some pretty close to what you're looking for.

Old August 22nd 05, 11:49 AM

Go to:- http://www.mcmaster.com/

Enter part # 88805K42

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

***************

Old August 22nd 05, 12:33 PM
Zoom

Steve W wrote:
Aluminium strip about 1/8" thick by 1/2" wide to make up some brackets for
my rack on my 'bent?

SW

Cut a bit of a street sign.(An old unused one of course).

Zoom
Old August 22nd 05, 12:38 PM
Steve W

Thanks Lewis but I am in the UK

SW

wrote in message
oups.com...
Go to:- http://www.mcmaster.com/

Enter part # 88805K42

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

***************

Old August 22nd 05, 01:12 PM

Edina Locksmiths in Edinburgh recently made up some custom brackets for
a friend of mine. They built them up from faxed plans quite reasonably.
Any good locksmith may do the same - or I can collect and post from
Edina for you?

email address is valid; include Edinburgh in the subject...

Alternativey, buy the cheapest metal letter box flaps you can find at
B&Q ?

M.

Old August 22nd 05, 04:23 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:33:38 +0800, Zoom wrote:
Steve W wrote:
Aluminium strip about 1/8" thick by 1/2" wide to make up some brackets for
my rack on my 'bent?

Cut a bit of a street sign.(An old unused one of course).

European street signs are sheet steel. Are you sure yours are alu?

Jasper
Old August 22nd 05, 05:20 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Steve W" wrote: (clip) Aluminium strip about 1/8" thick by 1/2" wide to
make up some brackets for my rack on my 'bent?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't overlook the metal bins at a recycling center. At the place near me,
people often discard extruded aluminum window or patio door frame material
which can be cut with a saber saw very easily. This is what I used to hold
a rack on one of my bikes.

BTW, if you cut this material properly, you can extract angle from it, which
will make stronger brackets.

Old August 22nd 05, 11:15 PM
RonSonic

Steve W wrote:
Aluminium strip about 1/8" thick by 1/2" wide to make up some brackets for
my rack on my 'bent?

Cut a bit of a street sign.(An old unused one of course).

European street signs are sheet steel. Are you sure yours are alu?

Why yes they are indeed aluminum, just about 1/8" thick and of a strength and
temper that makes them near perfect for any number of jobs around the home and
shop.

Not only are they made of a very useful material but they are found in a variety
of sizes and colors. Even better, they can be harvested at no cost in almost any
neighborhood.

Ron