Latex on tubular base tape

Old August 4th 05, 08:11 AM
Michael Press

Default Most Influential Person in my Cycling career/ was latex

In article ,
"Jay Beattie" wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
David Damerell wrote:
Quoting Tom Nakashima :

been there a few times myself. I was determine to learn

bicycle maintenance
and learn the correct way. I'm very pleased with the

information I've
gathered from Jobst and still use many of those methods and

suggestion
today. I have saved a lot of money and time working on my

bike, and have
had years of pleasurable riding experiences.

Not to make this all Jobst's fanclub, but he is the second on

the list of
people from whom I have learned the most about bicycles - the

first is
Sheldon. The things I have learned have been enormously

useful.

I have to agree about the learning, but I also find the NG

really boring
without Jobst.

Not so! The signature lines are enterainment enough. I am
learning to swear in French.

Bone rot!

--
Michael Press
Old August 4th 05, 06:06 PM

Default Latex on tubular base tape

On 4 Aug 2005 07:23:11 -0700, "41"

How do you eliminate pinch flats?

I'm sure that all those retarded fellows involved in
Paris-Roubaix would appreciate your instructions.

Sorry Carl, I prefer to watch "So You Think You Can Dance?" on
television. Their moves are much more interesting than yours, which are
predictable, endless, and circular. Didn't we begin this by you telling
us how the pros prevent pinch flats, with their secret sauce, instead
of what we poor, low kinetic energy, weak-kneed, clincher-riding
retirees and plebians have to make do with, F = P*A?

wrote:
#
# Dear Tom,
#
# Most of the Tour de France is ridden on tubulars.

# You also expect to have fewer impact flats, even at lower
# and more comfortable pressures, because the tublar tire and
# rim don't tend to pinch things like a clincher rim.

So another CF circle-dance moves to its logical conclusion.
,

Dear 41,

Why, yes, the pros do tend to use tubulars instead of
clinchers to reduce impact flats at the same pressu

"Winning tyre [Continental Competition tubular] at the last
THREE Paris-Roubaix races . . ."

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...petition.shtml

"Winner of 10 Paris-Roubaix, Pavè [tubular] . . ."

http://www.cbike.com/vittoria_tires.htm

Carl Fogel
Old August 5th 05, 03:42 AM

Tom Reingold writes:

I'm up to 175 lbs (76 kg) and have a 30 inch (76 cm) inseam, and I
don't expect to apply as much torque on my cranks as Jobst is, so
I'll just be taking my chances. So far, so good.

Don't be so sure. I have recently seen crank failures on two
bicycles with 160lb riders. It is not torque that breaks the
cranks.

Oh, then what is it? You said side bending. Is that the weight you
put on it when it's at the bottom of the stroke?

Yes, that is correct. The most cranks break in bending across the
flat of the crank in side loading and, among those, more than half
fail at the pedal eye.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 5th 05, 02:21 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

wrote:

"Winning tyre [Continental Competition tubular] at the last
THREE Paris-Roubaix races . . ."

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...petition.shtml

"Winner of 10 Paris-Roubaix, Pavè [tubular] . . ."

Carl Fogel

That is one sweet tubie, wish it were less expensive.

Old August 18th 05, 02:25 PM
David Damerell

Quoting Michael Press :
David Damerell wrote:
I weighed over that before I broke my jaw [1],

I am sorry. Hope you are better.

Oh, yes, everything has healed up just fine and I am returning to my usual
slightly pear-shaped norm. And I have a titanium plate in my jaw - weight
weenies, eat your hearts out. :-)
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Oneiros, August.
Old August 19th 05, 04:08 AM
Ted Bennett

David Damerell wrote:

Quoting Michael Press :
David Damerell wrote:
I weighed over that before I broke my jaw [1],

I am sorry. Hope you are better.

Oh, yes, everything has healed up just fine and I am returning to my usual
slightly pear-shaped norm. And I have a titanium plate in my jaw - weight
weenies, eat your hearts out. :-)

Is it lighter than the original bone? I needn't ask if the upgraded
model was more expensive, which any Ti lover knows is an important part
of the allure.

--
Ted Bennett
Old August 23rd 05, 01:33 PM
David Damerell

Quoting Ted Bennett :
David Damerell wrote:

[broken jaw]
Oh, yes, everything has healed up just fine and I am returning to my usual
slightly pear-shaped norm. And I have a titanium plate in my jaw - weight
weenies, eat your hearts out. :-)

Is it lighter than the original bone? I needn't ask if the upgraded
model was more expensive, which any Ti lover knows is an important part
of the allure.

Actually, since I still have the original bone and I got it for free, I
guess only the people who want Ti because it is Ti will be all that
pleased. Maybe I should have asked for purple anodised Al instead. :-)
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is First Monday, August.