Insurance for Cyclists?

Old July 24th 05, 01:01 AM
John

Default Insurance for Cyclists?

Hello.

I just wondered what companies you recommend for insurance for
cyclists, and also do you think that it should be a requirement of law
in the UK that cyclists that use the roads be insured as is the case
with other road users?

Thanks

John

Old July 24th 05, 08:16 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

I submit that on or about Sun, 24 Jul 2005 01:01:20 +0100, the person
known to the court as John made a statement
in Your Honour's bundle)
to the following effect:

I just wondered what companies you recommend for insurance for
cyclists,

Your house contents insurance may well cover you, but membership of
the CTC (http://www.ctc.org.uk) brings substantial third-party
liability cover.

Insurance for your bike against theft is also usually cheapest through
your house contents policy (but check the small print regarding where
it can be stored and left, and restrictions on locks).

and also do you think that it should be a requirement of law
in the UK that cyclists that use the roads be insured as is the case
with other road users?

No. Most road users are not insured (pedestrians are the most
numerous users of the roads), and the insurance which is mandated for
motor drivers is mainly a reflection of their substantial capacity to
cause damage to property. Bikes have very limited capacity to cause
damage - the fact that many cycle clubs can include millions of
pounds' worth of public liability at no additional charge is an
indication of how low the risk is! The "problem" of uninsured
cyclists has never been large enough to justify the costs of the
"solution".

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old July 24th 05, 08:25 AM
wafflycat

"John" wrote in message
Hello.

I just wondered what companies you recommend for insurance for
cyclists, and also do you think that it should be a requirement of law
in the UK that cyclists that use the roads be insured as is the case
with other road users?

Thanks

John

Assuming you are not a troll from uk.tosspot... :-)

Many cyclists already have third party liability via household insurance.
Many have it via membership of CTC or British Cycling. No, I don't think it
should be mandatory, even though I hold such insurance, as it is *not*
mandatory for other road users other than motorists, which is right and
proper (I am also an insured motorist by the way), due to the greater
increased risk of injury to third parties caused by driving a significantly
large chunk of metal around at speed. The greatest number of road users are
pedestrians (I'm also one of those) and pedestrians don't require insurance
to be able to use the highway. Do you think pedestrians should be insured
before they are allowed to cross the roads? Remember where the risk comes
from. It's not cyclists or pedestrians killing 3500 people on our roads each
year and injuring tens of thousands more - it's primarily motorists killing
other motorists, so IMO, there is a legitimate requirement for motorists to
be insured.

Cheers, helen s

Old July 24th 05, 09:53 AM
davek

John wrote:
I just wondered what companies you recommend for insurance for
cyclists

I have insurance via my club membership, which I think is affiliated to
the CTC.

, and also do you think that it should be a requirement of law
in the UK that cyclists that use the roads be insured as is the case
with other road users?

Yes. Fortunately, as Guy says, most cyclists are already covered by
their household insurance.

In any case, uninsured (not to mention unlicensed) motorists are a far
bigger problem.

d.

Old July 24th 05, 09:55 AM
davek

Guy wrote:
The "problem" of uninsured
cyclists has never been large enough to justify the costs of the
"solution".

....which becomes even more apparent when you compare it to the problems
caused by uninsured motorists.

d.

Old July 24th 05, 11:17 AM
JohnB

John wrote:

Hello.

I just wondered what companies you recommend for insurance for
cyclists,

I would fully recommend you are covered for third party insurance. This
is often included within household insurance policies or as a 'freebie'
within membership of various cycling organisations,such as the CTC.
It is *very* cheap - a reflection of the low number of claims against
cyclists and that they do not go around killing many thousands of people
each year.
I have changed my mind recently and believe that all adult cyclists
should have 3rd party insurance. With today's regretful growth of US
style litigation cases, it is the actions of a responsible rider.

Regarding other insurances - you should look at having your bike insured
with any household policy but beware small print.
It is by far the cheapest way.

and also do you think that it should be a requirement of law
in the UK that cyclists that use the roads be insured as is the case
with other road users?

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that what applies to one class
of road user should automatically apply to all others.

John B
Old July 24th 05, 12:39 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

I submit that on or about Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:17:21 +0100, the person
known to the court as JohnB made a statement
in Your Honour's bundle) to the
following effect:

I have changed my mind recently and believe that all adult cyclists
should have 3rd party insurance. With today's regretful growth of US
style litigation cases, it is the actions of a responsible rider.

So should all adult pedestrians, then, since they are much more likely
to cause crashes in which actual damage will be done to people's
precious penis extensions.

I recommend insurance, but would certainly not elevate it to the level
of a "should have" let alone a "must have". Nice to have is about as
far as it goes for me.

Guy

Old July 24th 05, 01:22 PM
JohnB

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

I submit that on or about Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:17:21 +0100, the person
known to the court as JohnB made a statement
in Your Honour's bundle) to the
following effect:

I have changed my mind recently and believe that all adult cyclists
should have 3rd party insurance. With today's regretful growth of US
style litigation cases, it is the actions of a responsible rider.

So should all adult pedestrians, then, since they are much more likely
to cause crashes in which actual damage will be done to people's
precious penis extensions.

OK. Perhaps they should.

John B
Old July 24th 05, 05:11 PM
John

Okay thanks for the replies. I understand.

John