Thieves snatch injured Scott's bike as he lies recovering in hospital(Doing Him a BIG Favor!)

Old July 7th 12, 06:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Thieves snatch injured Scott's bike as he lies recovering in hospital(Doing Him a BIG Favor!)

It seems to me that they did him a FAVOR: preventing him from injuring his brain again!

Mike

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Th...ail/story.html

Thieves snatch injured Scott's bike as he lies recovering in hospital

Saturday, July 07, 2012

Derby Telegraph
Follow

THIEVES have stolen a mountain bike from a young rider while he is recovering in hospital after suffering brain injuries in a crash.

Scott Shepherd has been in hospital since being hurt in a downhill mountain bike race, in Kent, on May 8 last year.

Scott Shepherd is pictured in action at the race in Kent where he crashed last year. Below, Scott and his mountain bike which has now been stolen.

His family say the 27-year-old is beginning to improve and showing signs of communication, but yesterday one of his mountain bikes was stolen from where it was being kept at sister Lisa Shepherd's home in Allenton.

She was in bed at the house in Marina Drive when she heard dogs barking next door in the early hours.

The 31-year-old said: "I got up and went outside to have a look. This must have been about 1am on Friday morning. I couldn't see anything but it was unusual to hear the dogs bark.

"I went out again about 5.30am and saw the shed door was wide open and Scott's bike was gone."

She estimated that the grey, full-suspension "Specialized" mountain bike was worth about £1,000.

She said: "The shed had been locked with a padlock but the whole clasp had been forced open, as if with a crowbar. I rang the police straight away but I just felt sick. I felt such shock that someone could do this, take his bike while he is still in hospital."

After the accident, Scott was initially kept at Royal Hospital London where his parents Karen Wild and Stefan Shepherd kept a 24-hour vigil at his bedside at Royal Hospital London.

In January, he was moved to the Royal Leamington Spa Rehabilitation Hospital, where some of the country's top neuro-consultants are helping him gain more strength and movement.

Last November, doctors said they believed Scott had locked-in syndrome * a condition that leaves a patient aware and awake but unable to move, except for the eyes.

It is unlikely he will ever fully recover but Lisa said: said: "He has started to show signs of communication.

"He is still quite poorly but he has started to try and talk to us and can let us know things like yes and no.

"It's not consistent but he is a lot more responsive than he was two months ago."

Police are urging anyone with information about the theft of the bike to call them on 0345 123 3333 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Old July 11th 12, 04:04 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade

On Saturday, July 7, 2012 6:35:44 PM UTC+1, Mike Vandeman wrote:
It seems to me that they did him a FAVOR: preventing him from injuring his brain again!

Mike

snip

What a contemptible comment. Have you no empathy whatsoever ?
Old July 11th 12, 04:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Trevor[_7_]

On 7/11/2012 9:04 AM, Blackblade wrote:
On Saturday, July 7, 2012 6:35:44 PM UTC+1, Mike Vandeman wrote:
It seems to me that they did him a FAVOR: preventing him from injuring his brain again!

Mike

snip

What a contemptible comment. Have you no empathy whatsoever ?

He only has empathy for non-humans.
Old July 12th 12, 01:48 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:04:05 AM UTC-7, Blackblade wrote:
On Saturday, July 7, 2012 6:35:44 PM UTC+1, Mike Vandeman wrote:
> It seems to me that they did him a FAVOR: preventing him from injuring his brain again!
>
> Mike

<snip>

What a contemptible comment. Have you no empathy whatsoever ?

Mountain bikers are the ones with no empathy! They would rather be silent, and let him get on a bike again and lose more of his brain. They don't want anyone to know how dangerous mountain biking is, because it might be banned (as it should be). You guys are truly sick! The best thing that could ever happen to him is for his mountain bike to be stolen and STAY stolen. It's obvious!
Old July 12th 12, 06:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade

Empathy involves understanding how someone else feels. You obviously haven't the first inkling of what that is about. You struggle to accept that anyone who disagrees with you can even be rational hence your imbecilic and incessant cries of "Liar" when anyone contradicts you.

If you stopped and thought for five seconds and genuinely tried to put yourself in this unfortunate guy's shoes (the very definition of empathy) you would understand that he is probably desperate to ride again. He can't as he has severe brain damage and he may never ride again whether he has a bike or not.

And for you to use such a tragic event to promote YOUR agenda shows how little human feeling and empathy you possess. I thought you misguided before; well intentioned but too messianical and egotistic to accept others views. Right now, I think you are simply contemptible.
Old July 12th 12, 09:26 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:48:25 PM UTC-4, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:04:05 AM UTC-7, Blackblade wrote:
> On Saturday, July 7, 2012 6:35:44 PM UTC+1, Mike Vandeman wrote:
> > It seems to me that they did him a FAVOR: preventing him from injuring his brain again!
> >
> > Mike
> >

> <snip>
>
> What a contemptible comment. Have you no empathy whatsoever ?

Mountain bikers are the ones with no empathy! They would rather be silent, and
let him get on a bike again and lose more of his brain. They don't want
anyone to know how dangerous mountain biking is, because it might be banned
(as it should be). You guys are truly sick! The best thing that could ever
happen to him is for his mountain bike to be stolen and STAY stolen. It's
obvious!

No, Mike. The "best thing that could ever happen to him" at this point would be that he experiences a full recovery.

That is obvious to everyone but someone as sick as you, apparently.