Buying a bottom bracket and crankset for an older bike online?

Old February 10th 15, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Buying a bottom bracket and crankset for an older bike online?

AMuzi wrote:
On 2/10/2015 2:11 PM, James wrote:
On 11/02/15 01:09, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 6:14:50 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 10/02/15 09:59, Duane wrote:
James wrote:
On 09/02/15 04:07, Lou Holtman wrote:

When I drive 200 miles I am out of the country.
Doesn't matter in what
direction I go :-).

I could drive 2,500km North West in a relatively
straight line and not
cross the state border.... http://goo.gl/maps/cImfA

Clara Hughes did a ride around Canada that took 110 days
and 11000km.
Some places are bigger than others. :-)

A ride around Australia could easily account for more
than 13,000km

http://goo.gl/maps/hNtAe

It's all one country, and I didn't include Tasmania ;-)

I think the more interesting part about Australia is the
incredibly low population density and what must be vast
expanses of nothing -- like on the road between Adelaide
and Darwin. You should ride that, have a spiritual
awakening and then write a book called "Wild (on a bike)."

You can get more distance riding around the contiguous 48,
but there are far more stoplights. Australians also tend
to get mugged by meth-heads in the deep south.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/lancashi...00/8557481.stm

From the television I thought the deep south was full of
vampires and werewolves!

Not being a television owner, my memories of working in the south are
more to southern girls, grits and eggs for breakfast, southern girls,
Crystal hot sauce and southern girls. There may have been more that I have forgotten.

Crystal hot sauce made me smile. red beans and rice ...

--
duane
Old February 10th 15, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 10/02/15 09:59, Duane wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

From the television I thought the deep south was full of vampires and werewolves!

Mostly republicans now. Think vampire without a sense of humor. I hear
Gaelic works on them as well.

--
duane
Old February 11th 15, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/10/2015 4:13 PM, jbeattie wrote:

And at the risk of sounding like a sociopath, I cringe every time I

hear about someone riding a bike to "raise awareness" of a common medical
condition. I could see putting on a ride to raise money, but most people
already know about depression, cancer, MS, etc. Maybe I'm just tired of the phrase.

I agree. On our big ride, we were asked several times about the cause we
were riding for. Several reporters looked a tad disappointed when we
said we were just doing it because we wanted to, or because it was fun.

Sheldon Brown had something to say on the subject:
http://sheldonbrown.com/thons.html

And underneath Sheldon's article, an ad for the Ride To Conquer Cancer,
which sounds like a fun ride except for the requirement to raise 2,500
dollars before they'll let you join them.