Tomorrow's ride cancelled because I didn't give a darn

Old January 21st 19, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Tomorrow's ride cancelled because I didn't give a darn

"Darn" isn't a euphemism. It's predicted to be well below zero
tomorrow, and my alpaca tights need mending.

I wonder whether people who use Celsius exclusively have a name for
the temperature at which road salt stops working and below which
frozen food will keep forever.

Ah, well, I need driving practice and we are getting low on seltzer
and other things too heavy to bring home by bike.

Yes, I did bring home a case of beer bungeed to the rack of my bike
once. *Once*.

And if I put two cartons of seltzer in my panniers, there isn't any
room for anything else. I want at least half a dozen, and also
Mountain Dew and Dr. Pepper. We're also low on frozen "I don't feel
like cooking tonight"s.

I did climb stairs three times today. When we had a multi-floor
house, I'd climb stairs more than three times per hour when I had a
load of wash in. But I was really glad to be all on one floor this
time last year, when my meralgia parasthetica advanced into sciatica.
All praise to the guy who invented fluoroscopic steroid shots!

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old January 21st 19, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/20/2019 11:40 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

"Darn" isn't a euphemism. It's predicted to be well below zero
tomorrow, and my alpaca tights need mending.

I wonder whether people who use Celsius exclusively have a name for
the temperature at which road salt stops working and below which
frozen food will keep forever.

How about "Darned cold"? ;-)

Yes, I did bring home a case of beer bungeed to the rack of my bike
once. *Once*.

I did that quite a few times, back in the days when I could buy a case
of beer in bottles and return them for a deposit. I felt quite virtuous,
figuring that one factory washing bottles made a lot more sense than a
different factory re-melting glass to make new bottles.

Bit I stopped doing that after the beer store stiffed me on the deposit
a couple times. To my surprise, their policy was "There are only 23
bottles, so you don't get the deposit." :-(

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 22nd 19, 05:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Just as well. Aside from needing to re-stock the freezer, I'd have
had to walk clear downtown before it was safe to mount my bike -- and
there was no place to walk but in the roadway.

The tire tracks in the incoming lane started before the tire tracks in
the outgoing lane, and the incoming lane continued to be cleaner
nearly to the entrance. You'd think that in the morning in a bedroom
town, it would be the other way around.

On the way home, I saw two bike riders -- one on Argonne Road, and one
crossing it. It's physically possible that they were the same guy,
but not likely.

I accidentally went to three stores. As I was looking for a parking
space in Martin's lot, I suddenly realized that this was not Aldi. I'm
not at all surprised if I turn toward Owen's when I meant to go to the
fairground, but I don't have a habitual route to Martin's -- indeed,
this was they very first time I've gone out on Center and turned left
onto US 30, though I've gone east on 30 countless times.

So I decided that as long as I was there, I'd go in and buy some
Brownberry buns that aren't available at Aldi or Owen.

It's usually difficult to get out of Martin's driveway onto Husky
Trail, but much to my surprise, when I wanted out, there wasn't a soul
in sight in either direction. That had changed an hour or two later
when I wanted to get out of Aldi's driveway onto Husky Trail. I
mis-judged the four-way stop at Husky and Parker, but by great good
fortune the pavement was *not* icy and a hard jab on the brakes kept
me from hitting the unexpected pick-up truck. Then I merged in behind
him and nothing had happened.

Also spent a long time in Owen's, because Aldi sells hardly any
pre-cooked meals, and most of what they do sell is for large families.
I did get lots of pizzas at both stores. It took quite a while to
carry all the stuff into the house when I got home.

I don't recall seeing any Amish vans at the new Aldi, I suddenly
realize. I saw them at the old Aldi all the time. (There is a van
with a cargo trailer that takes Amish women shopping. Probably more
than one.)

Perhaps they do all their shopping on-line now. Some folks think that
they don't like technology, but they love it as much as they love
their horses -- like the horses, they don't let it into the house.

When a spammer wakes me up just as I've settled down to sleep, I see
their point.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Give me inertia or give me death (what the heck, give me both...) Ralph Barone Techniques 5 January 28th 08 03:25 AM
Son of Death ride cancelled ? Postponed ? Callistus Valerius Racing 9 August 23rd 06 05:44 PM
God intervenes! Ride cancelled. dgk General 11 December 16th 04 03:29 AM
Darn it MSeries UK 6 December 3rd 04 06:07 PM
A ride that didn't suck. p e t e f a g e r l i n Mountain Biking 4 October 7th 04 05:55 AM