building a Fireman's Cruzer

Old August 9th 05, 09:06 PM
(PeteCresswell)

Default building a Fireman's Cruzer

Googling "Fireman's Cruzer" doesn't return anything but some race results.

No web site?
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 9th 05, 10:09 PM

wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys; I really appreciate it.

I did a bunch of reading last night and was able to figure out the
spacing difference This frame definitely takes 110-120mm axles. That
all makes sense now. I have checked out the Phil hubs for and they are
definitely in the top three of my choices so far. That list includes
King, Profile, and Phil. Seems like the Profiles have quite a bit of
choice and availability as far as cogs go. If I go with them, I'll
pick up a couple of extra cogs. I don't foresee changing gear ratiors
on a regular basis, but it looks like cassette is the new standard.

I'm going back to the LBS today to start putting together a build
sheet. I'm also leaning towards Profile cranks and Evolution BB, Paul
MotoLite Brakes and compact Love levers, King headset, Profile stem,
Crupi pedals, Thompson post, WTB Pure V saddle. Not sure on bars and
grips yet. I'm going to be eating ramen noodles for a long time. :-)

Be different - put drop handlebars on it. If not drops, then maybe a
pair of bullhorns (also called cowhorns) with reverse pull levers. In
either case, this would probably mean switching to cantilever brakes,
for which I would recommend Paul Components neo-retro brakes. You
might be able to get by with mini-v brakes if you don't have a desire
to run very wide tires.

If not drops or cowhorns, maye a nice set of north-road style bars, or
moustache bars...

Later,
Mark Muller

Old August 9th 05, 10:36 PM
Chalo

wrote:

I did a bunch of reading last night and was able to figure out the
spacing difference This frame definitely takes 110-120mm axles.

The Fireman's Texas Cruiser uses 110mm spacing.

Seems like the Profiles have quite a bit of
choice and availability as far as cogs go. If I go with them, I'll
pick up a couple of extra cogs. I don't foresee changing gear ratiors
on a regular basis, but it looks like cassette is the new standard.

Cassettes are the latest trend, but they are not the "new standard" in
any real sense. They all use proprietary sprockets and drivers, so
when you buy one, you place a bet that your particular hub's parts are
going to remain available for as long as you want to use the bike.

To my mind, freewheel hubs are not only a better value, they are a
better choice for your application. There's no practical reason for a
big-wheeled bike like the Fireman's Texas Cruiser to use a sprocket
smaller than 16t.

I'm also leaning towards Profile cranks and Evolution BB,

I have had several quality control issues and warranty replacements on
new Profile cranks, but I have never had even one such problem with any
other manufacturer's crank. I highly recommend Primo Powerbite cranks
instead. They're much more nicely made, and from better materials. I
say this as someone who has three sets of each of those cranks on his
own bikes at this moment.

Not sure on bars and grips yet.

S&M bars are very nice and widely available. Crupi make some gorgeous
aluminum bars that have given me many years of reliable service.

My favorite grips for BMX bars are ATI Pistol Grips. Big Cheese grips,
the ones with little stars all over them, are quite good and available
in fun color combinations.

http://www.staff-bmx.com/store/grpbrend/ati-pstl_n.html
http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=433&page=1

I'm going to be eating ramen noodles for a long time. :-)

Well, yeah... but note that Suzue sealed bearing hubs are better than
those you are considering IMO, that a Tange Levin headset is the
functional equal of a Chris King and much prettier, and that likewise
there exist many other first class parts that don't demand the very
highest prices.

Any recommendations for some excellent all-around rims?

Consider the Velocity Deep-V MTB. It uses a much taller, wider
extrusion than the road Deep-V. It weighs about the same as a Rhyno
Lite, but makes for a stronger wheel overall. If you like the unusual
look of it (and I do), then it's a great choice.

Chalo Colina

Old August 10th 05, 05:47 AM

Dear James & list:

I have been racing a 26" cruiser this last year, getting more than a
little air. It's not a Fireman, which is basically a copy of the SE
"OM Flyer" - it's a frame I built myself. I like profiles, 180mm, and
am running a Ti spindle on mine, which cuts about 4 oz. for an extra
$40. 36/16 is pretty good all-round gearing, though I went to 40/1`6
last week for a race on a downhill track. Profile makes a CNC machined
110mm spider for their cranks that allows you to use a whole universe
of chainrings.

I've been running WTB laserbeams on Shimano HF hubs, with WTB
Nanoraptors. The lazerbeams stayed round through a two-year Dirt Rag
test of the bike (the tester hung onto it for a while extra, and rode
it VERY hard). The Nanoraptors grip as well as any BMX tire you can
buy, plus they roll good on the street.

The Rhyno Lites are a good choice on a Crupi or Profile hub. I like
the cassette system actually, having dirtied myself many times doing
last minute gear changes.

I use a Primo Coffin stem and Profile 2" rise bars - although I've used
cut down Renthal motocross bars as well. You don't want too much rise
on the bars.

I use the odyssey A Brake, it's a good, stiff, cheap unit but it
corrodes internally and then you have to toss it. Shimano DX is good,
the Pauls look good and have a lot of adjustment - you'll need that if
you move from wide to skinny rims.

Buy a good chain. Sedis/SRAM is good and doesn't stretch like KMC or
some other brands.

Get a good seatpost. Thomson is the best and has been holding up
pretty good in BMX use. Kalloy Uno is a good cheap post.

You can take a look at my 26 at my website,
www dot thursdaybicycles dot com

good luck

jn

"Thursday"