RR: Hall Ranch, first time

Old June 26th 04, 05:00 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default RR: Hall Ranch, first time

Sistahs rides are mellow in temperament, and often in terrain. Last
night, though, we did the one Hall Ranch ride of the season. Most of
the beginners disappeared for this one; that left me as the beginner
representative.

The plan was this: ride for an hour. Wherever you are after an hour,
turn back so that you don't end up stuck on unfamiliar terrain at night.
Seemed reasonable.

Hall Ranch is gorgeous, and it is *way* more difficult than anything
I've ever attempted. I managed to scrabble over some stuff I never
thought I'd clear; still, there were a number of sections I didn't feel
bad for walking. (If one of you can show me how some of these sections
are even *possible*, I'd love to see it. I'm sure they're doable -- I
just can't imagine how.) I can't imagine getting up enough speed to
clear some of the turns, which seem to require a very precise angle to
avoid being chomped by the rocks at either side of the path.

Anyway ... the ride. I biked what I could and walked what I couldn't.
Towards the top, the ride gets more mellow technically, but I was
starting to feel the slippery edge of exhaustion. One of the other
women and I agreed to make it at least to the loop ... I slowly lost
her, though, and eventually I just kind of ... stopped pedalling. I
told two guys who passed, "Tell the girl on the shiny yellow bike that I
couldn't make it." A couple of gasps later, I realize that they've
stopped not fifty feet ahead to chat with said girl, so pride drags my
sorry butt onto the bike and I pedal on up to the fork.

Some discussion ensues -- we have about 10 minutes till an hour will
have passed. I'm promised that the climb is short; the descent sweet.
Okay. Off we go.

I quickly realize my error. Not only has my bike stopped allowing me to
use my two grannymost gears, but my body isn't really all that ready for
more climbing. I keep going, gasping and panting like it's the first
ride of the year. Slowly, I lose sight of the other two women doing the
loop, but that's kind of comforting. I no longer worry about keeping
up; instead, I set my own pace, my breathing gets regular, and I just
keep trucking. Eventually, I do start to head downhill, and yes, it is
sweet, but it's getting long, it's getting dark, and I don't see any
other riders about.

Finally, I get back to the beginning of the loop, and the girl who had
done the loop with me asks if I'm okay. I tell her I'm fine, just
tired, and she scoots off. It seems like I start after her right away,
but she might as well have vanished in a puff of smoke. I'm alone.

Well, okay then. I'm a bit grumpy because there was supposed to have
been a sweep rider, but then, I'm out about half an hour past quitting
time, so whose fault is that? I resolve not to challenge myself *too*
much; sure, it's getting late, but it's better to get to the trailhead
after dark than to hurry and break an arm or something. That's my
thought, anyway. As I get to the technical sections, I get more and
more nervous; I'm afraid to try them without eye protection, but I don't
have clear lenses and the shades are making it hard to see. I walked
quite a lot of the way down, unwilling to ride what I couldn't make out.
Fortunately, even hiking the bike, the way down was a lot faster than
the way up. One of the experts coming down from above asked if I was
okay; I told him my deal, and he offered to ride down with me. I
declined, not wanting to hold him up, but really appreciated the offer.
He did tell me that there were still a few riders up top, so at least I
knew that, if something did happen, someone would find me before
daybreak.

So, down I go, mostly walking, sometimes riding. I swear that I can
hear snatches of conversation from the women at the trailhead.
Eventually, I make it to the easier bit at the bottom and start riding
to the trailhead in earnest. The girl on the shiny yellow bike rides up
to me; she'd realized I was way behind, so she rode down to get a light
and come back for me. As it turns out, I'd made it just about to the
trailhead by the time she got started again. Nice of her, though.
Everyone's happy to see me in one piece; I guess previous rides at Hall
have been more ... bloody.

Despite the fact that it's way out of my league, I really liked Hall.
I'd like to go back some time when I don't have to worry about night
time creeping up and see how I do.

--
monique
Old June 26th 04, 11:47 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Default Hall Ranch, first time

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Sistahs rides are mellow in temperament, and often in terrain. Last
night, though, we did the one Hall Ranch ride of the season. Most of
the beginners disappeared for this one; that left me as the beginner
representative.

Novice, my dear. Beginner is such an insulting word. The others will
always be "beginners" if they don't try harder.

The plan was this: ride for an hour. Wherever you are after an hour,
turn back so that you don't end up stuck on unfamiliar terrain at
night. Seemed reasonable.

Hall Ranch is gorgeous, and it is *way* more difficult than anything
I've ever attempted. I managed to scrabble over some stuff I never
thought I'd clear; still, there were a number of sections I didn't
feel bad for walking. (If one of you can show me how some of these
sections are even *possible*, I'd love to see it. I'm sure they're
doable -- I just can't imagine how.) I can't imagine getting up
enough speed to clear some of the turns, which seem to require a very
precise angle to avoid being chomped by the rocks at either side of
the path.

I used to think things were impossible to do (still do), but you'll be
amazed at what your bike and you can do. It's all about balance. Don't
ever feel bad about walking. It's the best way to be able to try the area
again some day without crutches or a sling.

Anyway ... the ride. I biked what I could and walked what I couldn't.
Towards the top, the ride gets more mellow technically, but I was
starting to feel the slippery edge of exhaustion. One of the other
women and I agreed to make it at least to the loop ... I slowly lost
her, though, and eventually I just kind of ... stopped pedalling. I
told two guys who passed, "Tell the girl on the shiny yellow bike
that I couldn't make it." A couple of gasps later, I realize that
they've stopped not fifty feet ahead to chat with said girl, so pride
drags my sorry butt onto the bike and I pedal on up to the fork.

Confusious say, "It's always faster on the bike".

Some discussion ensues -- we have about 10 minutes till an hour will
have passed. I'm promised that the climb is short; the descent sweet.
Okay. Off we go.

I quickly realize my error. Not only has my bike stopped allowing me
to use my two grannymost gears, but my body isn't really all that
ready for more climbing. I keep going, gasping and panting like it's
the first ride of the year. Slowly, I lose sight of the other two
women doing the loop, but that's kind of comforting. I no longer
worry about keeping up; instead, I set my own pace, my breathing gets
regular, and I just keep trucking. Eventually, I do start to head
downhill, and yes, it is sweet, but it's getting long, it's getting
dark, and I don't see any other riders about.

"Pace", the magic word. If you get caught up in what the people are doing
ahead of you, expect to lose steam. If this were a race, it's a different
story.

Finally, I get back to the beginning of the loop, and the girl who had
done the loop with me asks if I'm okay. I tell her I'm fine, just
tired, and she scoots off. It seems like I start after her right
away, but she might as well have vanished in a puff of smoke. I'm
alone.

Well, okay then. I'm a bit grumpy because there was supposed to have
been a sweep rider, but then, I'm out about half an hour past quitting
time, so whose fault is that? I resolve not to challenge myself *too*
much; sure, it's getting late, but it's better to get to the trailhead
after dark than to hurry and break an arm or something. That's my
thought, anyway. As I get to the technical sections, I get more and

snip

Next bike purchase: HID Light

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Old June 26th 04, 12:14 PM
Stephen Baker

Ride-a-lot says:

Novice, my dear. Beginner is such an insulting word.

I always preferred "acolyte". It has the advantage of being comfortingly
mediaeval-monkish, with the implication that this here mountain-biking is just
as good as religion as any.
My cousin Herb used to walk in the woods on Sundays, because he said that God
had done a much better job than Man did in building a place to worship. Never
worshipped outloud, either. Nice walks. ;-)

Steve "just yer basic agnostic, but I used to enjoy the walk"
Old June 26th 04, 04:51 PM
Shawn Curry

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Sistahs rides are mellow in temperament, and often in terrain. Last
night, though, we did the one Hall Ranch ride of the season. Most of
the beginners disappeared for this one; that left me as the beginner
representative.

I like Steve B's term "acolyte". We won't make you wear the white robes
though. :-)

snip nice report

Despite the fact that it's way out of my league, I really liked Hall.
I'd like to go back some time when I don't have to worry about night
time creeping up and see how I do.

Its not out of your league after you've done it, just harder than you're
used to. And dark doesn't count. Familiar trails can get real exciting
in the dark, even with a light.
If you'd gotten to the trail head and said "This is out of my league."
and gone home, well yeah it would be.
There are lots of trails out there where maybe we can ride 90-95%, but
we fret about the 5-10% we can't. Work on the 5-10% when you can and
that percentage will drop over time.

Cheers,
Shawn.
Old June 26th 04, 06:48 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-26, Ride-A-Lot penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Sistahs rides are mellow in temperament, and often in terrain. Last
night, though, we did the one Hall Ranch ride of the season. Most of
the beginners disappeared for this one; that left me as the beginner
representative.

Novice, my dear. Beginner is such an insulting word. The others will
always be "beginners" if they don't try harder.

I s'pose. How 'bout "future not-sucky person"? *grin*

I used to think things were impossible to do (still do), but you'll be
amazed at what your bike and you can do. It's all about balance.
Don't ever feel bad about walking. It's the best way to be able to
try the area again some day without crutches or a sling.

I've seen some crazy stuff -- a lot of it in video footage from this
very newsgroup. It's inspiring.

"Pace", the magic word. If you get caught up in what the people are
doing ahead of you, expect to lose steam. If this were a race, it's a
different story.

*nod* I've learned to regulate my breathing when I find myself
scrambling; it usually gets my legs to behave, too. But it's a real
struggle when someone's ahead of me -- my natural reaction, without even
realizing it, is to catch up.

Next bike purchase: HID Light

There's a thought. I really didn't expect to be out that late ... but
I'm sure that can be true of a lot of rides.

--
monique
Old June 26th 04, 06:50 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-26, Stephen Baker penned:

I always preferred "acolyte". It has the advantage of being comfortingly
mediaeval-monkish, with the implication that this here mountain-biking is just
as good as religion as any.

Or cultish =P

My cousin Herb used to walk in the woods on Sundays, because he said that God
had done a much better job than Man did in building a place to worship. Never
worshipped outloud, either. Nice walks. ;-)

Makes sense to me.

Steve "just yer basic agnostic, but I used to enjoy the walk"

I definitely know what you mean. I'm agnostic, too, but I feel most
spiritual when surrounded by things not made by man.

--
monique
Old June 26th 04, 06:54 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-26, Shawn Curry penned:

Its not out of your league after you've done it, just harder than you're
used to. And dark doesn't count. Familiar trails can get real exciting
in the dark, even with a light.

No doubt.

If you'd gotten to the trail head and said "This is out of my league."
and gone home, well yeah it would be.

Fortunately, the trail head is mellow. By the time it gets interesting,
my ego is well invested =)

There are lots of trails out there where maybe we can ride 90-95%, but
we fret about the 5-10% we can't. Work on the 5-10% when you can and
that percentage will drop over time.

*nod* ... I think in this case it might have been more like 75-80%, but
the point remains.

And after experiencing Hall, my usual haunts should be much less
intimidating.

--
monique
Old June 26th 04, 11:54 PM
Corvus Corvax

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

Despite the fact that it's way out of my league, I really liked Hall.
I'd like to go back some time when I don't have to worry about night
time creeping up and see how I do.

Cool. Hall is a stiff ride, but way fun.

I'm in Boulder for the weekend, actually. (The best advice for the
citizenry is to remain indoors with the blinds closed until the danger
passes.) Have to say, I like to see the trend of everybody riding
around town on cool singlespeed cruisers. Nothing like a cute girl in
a dress riding a big balloon-tired townie. Aah.

CC
Old June 27th 04, 12:52 AM
Shawn Curry

Corvus Corvax wrote:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

Despite the fact that it's way out of my league, I really liked Hall.
I'd like to go back some time when I don't have to worry about night
time creeping up and see how I do.

Cool. Hall is a stiff ride, but way fun.

I'm in Boulder for the weekend, actually. (The best advice for the
citizenry is to remain indoors with the blinds closed until the danger
passes.) Have to say, I like to see the trend of everybody riding
around town on cool singlespeed cruisers. Nothing like a cute girl in
a dress riding a big balloon-tired townie. Aah.

CC

Come out to the glider side of the airport tomorrow (Sunday) around
noon, and I may be able to get you a view of Boulder from a different
perspective.

Shawn
Old June 27th 04, 01:24 AM
Roger Buchanan

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote:
Despite the fact that it's way out of my league, I really liked Hall.
I'd like to go back some time when I don't have to worry about night
time creeping up and see how I do.

It was nice that there were some riders that checked in on you. Some
group rides can get pretty lonely for the newest members.

Great RR Monique, keep em coming.

Have you had enough time on the new ride to post your thoughts on it???
--
- Rog

http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html

NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.