How do you stay motivated during the winter.

Old November 12th 04, 04:16 PM
Badger

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:33:59 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

:: I'd be interested in knowing (from your experiment) if one can
:: maintain fitness riding just on weekends, and riding that much in
:: one or two sessions. Keep good records, like an excel spreadsheet so
:: ya can share your results, mebee?

Sure. I keep my records in Gary G's program Cyclistat (sp?). I'm sure my
results will be better than if I just didn't ride at all!

Can you export those?

:: My routine is almost exactly the opposite. I ride only about 20-30
:: miles per day, often broken up in twice a day sessions, seven days a
:: week.

Hey, that where I started out in the summer. However, with short days and
working, I don't find time for AM and PM rides. I have a 40-mile commute to
work, but I'm not even considering riding that.
But I'd love get more rides in during the week, though.

Oh, for sure. You know I'm in awe of your training and wouldn't doubt
you're doing all you can fit in with work and stuff. I'm just batting the
ball back and forth with ya, bro.

:: For me (and I'm not dissing your plan in any way!) being out of the
:: saddle for 5 days followed by 100 mile rides on the weekend would
:: just be the end of my fitness. IOW, I'd spend all week (I think)
:: hurting from the 100 miler, and due to the lack of frequent
:: stimulation, I'd probably be down in the dumps.

Well, it won't be the END of your fitness, but you likely won't improve. The
general rule is 4 or more times for improving. I'm talking twice (sat and
sun) to maintain. My quads will be sore for days afterwards, but I liken it
to doing a 3X per week split routine in the gym. I'm sure you've done that
before. Bomb the hell out of chest, shoulders, and tris on Monday, do back,
biceps, abs on Wednesday, and lower body on Friday. Or some other
variation.

Uh, well I say 'end' b/c for me, once I start missing days, I end up
missing more days. Now, granted missing one day when you're out there 7
isn't so bad, but as another poster mentioned, you can skip lots of days
when you're in your 20s and not be too bad off. Me, I have to keep the
pedal to the metal.

In fact, I must be weird, b/c just missing 3-4 days riding on the road
(i.e. go to either my flat or my hilly bike trails for a week), I start to
lose my 'traffic nerves', as it were. That sucks.

So yeah, for me, not riding for 5 days would be bad newz. I'm glad to hear
you can 'make a workaround'. My sympathies for having to struggle with your
routine vs the working and stuff. I know I'm very luck to be retired and
able to plan my whole day around the cycling and workouts!

So when do we get to see the .jpgs of you and your bike? g Seriously,
it'd be cool to 'see' who I'm chatting with...email is ok.

:: Now I know you workout at the gym, too, so pardon my idealizing your
:: 'on weekends' concept - I'm not at all trying to put ya on the
:: defensive or anything of the sort. Just offering a counterpoint and
:: maybe a topic of discussion.

Don't worry, Badge. I don't offend easily.

::
:: Good luck, buddy.

BTW, I replied to an e-mail you sent me a couple of weeks ago. Did you get
it? I'm asking because I don't want you to think I was ignoring you.

Yeah, I got a long one about the comics and binary groups and torrents, but
that's it. Just remember to use my real addy and not the bogus Badger South
spamtrap one.

-B

Old November 12th 04, 04:52 PM
Badger

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:55:07 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 02:52:54 -0800, Maggie wrote:

I took everyone's advice and bought a better bike last night. I don't
have it yet, but I broke down and spent a decent amount of money on
one. The Walmart Bike will be donated to my favorite charity. Now
that the weather is getting colder..rain today...I hope I stick with
this.

Congrats on the new bike. Looking out at the rain, maybe you might
re-consider getting rid of the wal-mart special. You might use it as a
rain bike so your shiny new one stays clean and rust-free. You can also
add thins like fenders (wonderful things, fenders) to the rain bike.

Hmm, is the new bike a Suzuki motorcycle? That's the only bike I saw on
webpage.

-B

Old November 12th 04, 07:46 PM
James Lynx

What kind of bike did you buy?

Riding during Winter, huh? Well I'm 37 just turned, and haven't
ridden seriously in about 20 years. I'm sure this Winter I should be
able to ride as long as I'm motivated too. But when Christmas Day
sometimes is in the mid '80s and clear, same as New Year Day, I think
that's pretty motivating. Hope we don't get a wet winter yet get a
warm dry winter like we often do.

James
Old November 12th 04, 08:09 PM
Bill Baka

On 12 Nov 2004 11:46:07 -0800, James Lynx wrote:

What kind of bike did you buy?

Riding during Winter, huh? Well I'm 37 just turned, and haven't
ridden seriously in about 20 years. I'm sure this Winter I should be
able to ride as long as I'm motivated too. But when Christmas Day
sometimes is in the mid '80s and clear, same as New Year Day, I think
that's pretty motivating. Hope we don't get a wet winter yet get a
warm dry winter like we often do.

James

Wow, man, you got it rough.
Sheesh,
Bill Baka

Old November 12th 04, 11:17 PM
Maggie

"Bob Burns" wrote in message hlink.net...

http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

I love to XC ski in the snow. This time of year, I'm motivated for riding
the bike by thinking of staying in condition for when the snow flies.

I'm sure you can rent a pair of skies in Tahoe

I am sure I can too. The only problem is, I can't ski. I tried when I
was young and boy was I bad. Now if I was bad at it when I was young,
do you think I could be good at it now? I also would need stamina to
do the cross country thing. My niece, who lives out in Tahoe skies,
backpacks, climbs mountains, and coaches all her daughters sports
teams. She is 34. She has been athletic for as long as I can
remember. Her little 7 year old is athletic. Sometimes I wonder how
the two of us are blood related. I know she is my niece because we
look alot alike....but that's where the similarity ends. She climbs
mountains and I get manicures. Maybe she will convince me to try this
ski thing one more time. Why not? Ya only live once and if you do it
right...once is enough. ;-)

http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
Old November 13th 04, 12:26 AM
Roy Zipris

The same way you get motivated for any outdoor exercise, such as
skiing or ice skating: the joy of doing something you love, the secret
delight in cycling when most other people you know have folded up shop
for the winter but you perservere, the wonderful warmth of the coffee
shop when you finish the ride....

Fenders, adequate tires, approrpiate clothing--fleece, balaclavas,
good gloves, warm socks, booties. --Roy Zipris
Old November 13th 04, 12:40 AM
Bill Baka

On 12 Nov 2004 16:26:17 -0800, Roy Zipris wrote:

The same way you get motivated for any outdoor exercise, such as
skiing or ice skating: the joy of doing something you love, the secret
delight in cycling when most other people you know have folded up shop
for the winter but you perservere, the wonderful warmth of the coffee
shop when you finish the ride....

Fenders, adequate tires, approrpiate clothing--fleece, balaclavas,
good gloves, warm socks, booties. --Roy Zipris

Put a little snow plow blade on the front of your bike.
The neighbors will be impressed, or call the local asylum.
Bill Baka
Old November 13th 04, 01:50 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Maggie wrote:
I took everyone's advice and bought a better bike last night. I don't

That's one way.

Came *this* close to Amexing up a Bianchi at the bike shop
this afternoon, but no, it's not the perfect one I would
want to have built for me. Chunky hubs. Still, it's like
the Sirens calling Odysseus every time I pass down that aisle.

As for what I do:

Mix it up.

Ride different routes every day.

Go to the gym to ride a stationary if I feel the least
bit like riding outside will be miserable or dangerous.

Tweak the bike and use the ride as a shakedown.

Look at the remaining flab dandling on my waistband
and get my game face on.

--Blair
"The pain in Spain is mainly in the climbs."

FA: $1 End of Summer Garage Sale - nice winter clothing! Carla Hukee Marketplace 0 August 26th 04 04:26 AM
winter slippery dark scary time digigal1 Unicycling 1 August 4th 04 08:41 PM
Winter Riding evil-nick Unicycling 28 July 2nd 04 05:20 PM
How do you prep for winter riding? Gadget UK 18 October 29th 03 07:45 PM