Noob: 'Bents and Lumbar Problems

Old April 23rd 04, 04:41 PM
Dick P.

Default 'Bents and Lumbar Problems

A collegue at work suggested doing shoulder stands to de-compress my
spine. It was amazing how quickly this solved my problem.

What are shoulder stands? How are they done, and how do they
de-compress the spine (I have a L5-S1 problem; hopefully, shoulder
stands can provide some releif to me also)?
Old April 29th 04, 10:53 PM
Goyo

Default Noob: 'Bents and Lumbar Problems

I switched to recumbents due to ruptured discs in my back, 2 in my
lumbar area and 1 in the upper thorax T6:T7.

I have a tour easy (with a rans seat), a rans screamer and a Bachetta
Strada. All have similar seats that have a built in lumber support
that supports my back extremely well.

I find that the combination of exercise, building up of my back
muscles and forcing my back into the lumbar support while I pedal
helps my back. In fact, at times when I have been having severe back
pain with muscle cramping, sciatica and difficulty walking....I can
always climb on one of my recumbents and ride with little or no pain.
Sometimes, it is what I have needed to stop the muscle cramps. It has
never made my back worse. Before I sold my Lemond Zurich, I used to
try to take it out when my back was doing well....riding it always
made my back worse...always!

I second the comment made that you should travel to a recument bike
shop where you can take extended 2-4 hour test rides. I have done that
for every recumbnet bike purchase that I have made and it has been
worth it. In fact, twice I went after much reading with the intent of
buying a certain model of bike...and ended up buying something
different after a day of extended test riding.
Old April 29th 04, 11:32 PM
J Ahlstrom

I have an unknown back problem - MRI said something about
l4, but that was 10 year ago and I don't remember what.

I get severe back pain after more than about an hour
in any car where I cannot have a very upright sitting posture -
seat back reclined and/or knees more straight than
bent causes me problems.

I am retiring (tomorrow) and want to get back into bike riding.
I would like a bent if it won't hurt, but don't know how to get
enough time on a rental or something to find out.

I have read this thread and think I can find a bent that
will meet my needs, but I don't know how to find it. I
live about 30 minutes south of San Francisco. Any ideas
on bents that I should try and where I can rent one them
for a couple of days?

Thanks

JKA

--
[As CEO] It's my job to outsource enough jobs
to make a profit and to keep enough jobs here

Old April 30th 04, 11:33 PM
Steve Fox

I'll just repeat what I wrote a few weeks ago on this thread. Feel free
to ignore the advice, but before you do anything, get a thorough
checkup. Find out what the problem is and whether there is a medical
approach/solution. This based on experience.

J Ahlstrom wrote:

[...]

McKinleyville, CA
Old May 1st 04, 06:54 AM
Eddie H

J Ahlstrom wrote in message ...
I have read this thread and think I can find a bent that
will meet my needs, but I don't know how to find it. I
live about 30 minutes south of San Francisco. Any ideas
on bents that I should try and where I can rent one them
for a couple of days?

Try Zach Kaplan in Alameda. He doesn't have a website but if you
Google search you'll find his e-mail address. He is available by
appointment and you won't find another more knowledgeable.