Growing a Uni Club and sharing unis

Old June 13th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Growing a Uni Club and sharing unis

I started a uni clun in PA recently and it is going well. Tonight about
10 riders! Many new riders are coming again and again, and I share my
unicycles.

As happened two weeks in a row, I was left with only a giraffe and an
UW to ride. I certainly don't mind the practice on those, but I'd like
to get in some freestyle practice.

What's the best way to let these new riders know that they should to
get their own uni soon? I want to be as encouraging as possible, they
are doing well and populating a fledgling club. I do have many unis to
share, too, and don't mind in the least provided I get a half hour in
on my nimbus!

Your suggestions, please.

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Old June 13th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Well you could try going to your LBS and asking them to sponser your
club with a uni or two, that would allow for some extras.

As for how to ask the people to get their own unis i would say:
"Well it sure looks like you guys are progressing well. I think it may
be time for you to get a uni all your own so you could practice at home
to!"
Or
"As you can see our club is growing quite fast and i think that you
need your own uni so that new commers will be able to have a try too,
the more the merrier!"

Always sounds like somehow your helping them and knoone else, people
like that. If they think that your trying to boot them off your uni
they may get discouraged and give it up altogether.

Hope that helps
-Phil

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF

koebwil wrote:
I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

Old June 13th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

You can always sneak it in under the guise of "demonstrating" how to
learn a trick. "Here, let me show you something I've been working
on..." (Start with a trick you can actually do).

--
tholub

Old June 13th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

You guys are brilliant! Thanks.

Trials-Uni, you are wise beyond your years...

I'll use all those suggestions!
Blake

Old June 13th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

podzol wrote:
Trials-Uni, you are wise beyond your years...

Thanks Blake, that means alot coming from you...You made my night.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF

Old June 13th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I can bring an extra if you want next week. (I had a previous engagement
today)

--
TheObieOne3226

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

\"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

\"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
mental

*disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if
you are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i
don't feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where
not everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*

Old June 13th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

TheObieOne3226 wrote:
I can bring an extra if you want next week. (I had a previous engagement
today)

Cool! We missed your expertise today. Hope you were having fun and not
at the dentist or the podiatrist.

It was kind of funny. There was a old-man's baseball team tailgating
watching our practice today. They watched without heckling us for about
an hour, but generally kept their distance. When I finished loading the
car (9 unis, 4 adults, 1 kid, one big tub of elbow and kneepads) they
all laughed and agreed that it was truly amazing that we could pack a
car (Jeep Cherokee) like that. The Giraffe did have to ride on the
roof.

They didn't say anything about the riding. Oh well, can't expect to
reach everyone!! Then again, maybe we'll see some of them next week!

Old June 13th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

trials_uni wrote:
Thanks Blake, that means alot coming from you...You made my night.

Well you're certainly welcome. I'd have tossed you some rep points for
that post in the ol' days.

Old June 13th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Make sure you educate them. Tell them what unis are good for the money
and such. Suggest a LBS or UDC (or somewhere else). Like Trials_Uni
said, see if a LBS will support you. Even if they don't give out free
unis, maybe they will give a discount to your club members. Encourge
them to try the UW and/or Giraffe! Maybe try and get some more riders
that have unis to themselves. Good luck with your club!

--
Eroick

'The Unicyclopedia!' (http://unicyclopedia.org/)

Whaahahyeah! All you can hear is me screaming into the camera. Yahha!
--Victory

'Listen to Music By Me' (http://musicinclined.blogspot.com)
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

Old June 13th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Once my students are able to ride they are required to purchase a
unicycle but they still have the ability to use any of my uni's as well
as anyone else's unicycle.
This way if they have a unicycle of their own it doesn’t reduce the
number of unicycles I have available.
Anyone who is new and unable to ride can borrow a unicycle from me
until they are able to ride. It's much easier to get someone to buy a
unicycle once they know how to ride.
I always make sure there are no more than 4 or 5 people at one time
that need one on one training at a time. This way I know how many extra
unicycles I need and it keeps the newbees safe and reduces the learning
curve.

I noticed at many clubs, when people are just left at a wall or railing
on their own without much guidance they will progress very slowly and
have a large drop off rate and a small success rate. But, when you
train and motivate a smaller group of student at a time they will learn
much quicker and wind up sticking with it.

Just One Wheel is not a club, we are a business. We charge people to
learn to ride. Our promise is to reduce the learning curve and the pain
of learning to ride.

We want to produce new riders. Allot of them!

All my students are also required to wear a helmet and pads in order to
ride or practice.

Our business exists to -*support existing riders*- but [i]*mainly to
harvest new one’s.[/*I]

“Have Fun On One”

Adam

--
JustOneWheel

There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237