Reach

Old December 19th 15, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Reach

Is reach the distance from center of BB horizontal, to the center of the Head Tube horizontal? Or is the center of the head tube at the top?

Mark Cleary.
Old December 19th 15, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 1:38:31 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/19/2015 12:23 PM, wrote:
Is reach the distance from center of BB horizontal, to the center of the Head Tube horizontal? Or is the center of the head tube at the top?

Mark Cleary.

Good question. We used to use 'reach' for center of post to
center of bars, horizontally.

The newer meaning is on a horizontal line from BB center to
center of head tube at the top. It's used with another
newish term, 'stack', see image:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/reachwfd.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

care to ameliorate on that ?

more stack less reach equals greater turn in

more reach less stack equals more forward less MTB more CX...

frame top tube bottom tube subs for head tube angle .....

the Honda with minus unsorung weight with 4WD comes with CF front brakes standard on base model.
Old December 19th 15, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_3_]

Next village to where I live is called Reach. Good cyclist-friendly
pub there too.

Well, they don't don't chuck me out when I arrive peeling off cycling
mitts and obviously a bit sweaty. First went there in the 1970s so
maybe I'm grandfather-claused now?

Mike

Old December 19th 15, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/19/2015 3:13 PM, Mike Causer wrote:
Next village to where I live is called Reach. Good cyclist-friendly
pub there too.

Well, they don't don't chuck me out when I arrive peeling off cycling
mitts and obviously a bit sweaty. First went there in the 1970s so
maybe I'm grandfather-claused now?

Mike

Mike, is this you?

http://www.reach-village.co.uk/Image...gn_1140729.jpg

Old December 20th 15, 11:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 12:38:14 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/19/2015 12:23 PM, wrote:
Is reach the distance from center of BB horizontal, to the center of the Head Tube horizontal? Or is the center of the head tube at the top?

Mark Cleary.

Good question. We used to use 'reach' for center of post to
center of bars, horizontally.

The newer meaning is on a horizontal line from BB center to
center of head tube at the top. It's used with another
newish term, 'stack', see image:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/reachwfd.jpg

What is these new dimensions supposed to indicate?

Certainly the distance from the seat to the handle bars is relevant
and the distance form the seat to the pedals (i.e. bottom bracket) ,
but the distance from the bottom bracket to the head tube?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 20th 15, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 12/19/2015 12:23 PM, wrote:
Is reach the distance from center of BB horizontal, to the center of the Head Tube horizontal? Or is the center of the head tube at the top?

Mark Cleary.

Good question. We used to use 'reach' for center of post to
center of bars, horizontally.

The newer meaning is on a horizontal line from BB center to
center of head tube at the top. It's used with another
newish term, 'stack', see image:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/reachwfd.jpg

What is these new dimensions supposed to indicate?

Certainly the distance from the seat to the handle bars is relevant
and the distance form the seat to the pedals (i.e. bottom bracket) ,
but the distance from the bottom bracket to the head tube?
--
cheers,

John B.

indicates a larger number of potentially conscious customers
Old December 20th 15, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/19/2015 10:38 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/19/2015 12:23 PM, wrote:
Is reach the distance from center of BB horizontal, to the center of
the Head Tube horizontal? Or is the center of the head tube at the top?

Mark Cleary.

Good question. We used to use 'reach' for center of post to center of
bars, horizontally.

The newer meaning is on a horizontal line from BB center to center of
head tube at the top. It's used with another newish term, 'stack', see
image:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/reachwfd.jpg

With compact frames and threadless headsets I see a lot more setups that
remind me of the old Midas commercials where the customer comes into the
shop and asks if they have a muffler to fit his vehicle and the service
writer says "fit? we'll MAKE it fit" and proceeds to weld up a kluge of
pipes and adapters.

Add a threadless headset riser. Add an adjustable stem (or just a stem
with a different reach), add an angled seat post, and voilą, a bike that
fits.

Old December 20th 15, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 16:18:19 -0600
AMuzi wrote:

Mike, is this you?

http://www.reach-village.co.uk/Image...gn_1140729.jpg

Not me, someone with the initials JH.

Mike

Old December 20th 15, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 19/12/15 19:23, wrote:
Is reach the distance from center of BB horizontal, to the center of
the Head Tube horizontal? Or is the center of the head tube at the
top?

http://cyclingabout.com/understandin...rame-geometry/

Has explanations for all the terms you wish you'd never heard

ducks

Smart way to reach your customer [email protected] General 0 September 1st 07 07:57 AM
Short reach brakes on frame designed for long reach brakes [email protected] Techniques 33 August 25th 06 05:29 PM
Shimano 9 spd Reach Adjustable STI? James Myers Techniques 9 September 12th 05 03:16 PM
Brake lever reach yk Techniques 7 June 27th 05 03:46 AM
Bike Fit - Reach Ed General 7 October 2nd 03 03:52 PM