Recumbent Trikes - Where to Put the Lights?

Old August 28th 07, 06:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Tosspot

Default Recumbent Trikes - Where to Put the Lights?

Rob Morley wrote:
In article , Tosspot
says...

Artemisia wrote:

From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.

I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?

Miguora space savers helped me on this point.

ITYM Minoura :-)

Dammit! Quite right of course. You know the things, got them on
http://www.wiggle.co.uk "Minoura Space Grip SG2 Handlebar Extension"
Variations on a theme from a few other manufacturers.

Can be useful little bugegrs. Recumbent tadpole trikes are well short
on sensible upfront, horizontal bars to tie things to.
Old August 28th 07, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Alistair Gunn

In uk.rec.cycling Tosspot twisted the electrons to say:
Dammit! Quite right of course. You know the things, got them on
http://www.wiggle.co.uk "Minoura Space Grip SG2 Handlebar Extension"
Variations on a theme from a few other manufacturers.

Having had the "fun" of installing a few SpaceGrips over my recumbent
owning years, I am wondering if the TerraCycle accessory mount is any
better? http://preview.tinyurl.com/2lc5bn

Can be useful little bugegrs. Recumbent tadpole trikes are well short
on sensible upfront, horizontal bars to tie things to.

That's one nice feature of Catrike's range - they've put a small
horizontal extension onto the front deraileur post to mount stuff on.
Old August 28th 07, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Alan Braggins

In article , Alistair Gunn wrote:

Can be useful little bugegrs. Recumbent tadpole trikes are well short
on sensible upfront, horizontal bars to tie things to.

That's one nice feature of Catrike's range - they've put a small
horizontal extension onto the front deraileur post to mount stuff on.

Yesterday at Mildenhall I saw a Trice with a stem mounted on the
derailleur post. It didn't have a handlebar in, but had a replacement
clamp with a short bar to put lights on (I've seen those elsewhere,
but can't find one online right now - some come with a bottle cage mount
as an alternative). But if you wanted more space, you put put a section
handlebar diameter tubing in the stem (or even a full handlebar).
Old August 28th 07, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Rob Morley

In article , Alan Braggins
says...

Yesterday at Mildenhall I saw a Trice with a stem mounted on the
derailleur post.

I was just about to suggest that, but you beat me to it. :-)
Old August 29th 07, 01:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1079_]

Artemisia wrote:
From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.

I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?...

I have an older version of this mount on the derailer [1] mast of a SWB
recumbent [2] - it should work on any trike with such a mast:
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983907300.
This has room for two lights, or a light and a cyclometer.

ICE/Trice makes a mount that clamps onto the mast:
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/images/products/la_07trice_lightmount.jpg.

The cyclometer can also be mounted on the main tube in front of the seat
where it is easily reached while seated. There are custom mounts for
this, or one can be made from two hose clamps (one around the tube, the
other held perpendicular to the tube by the first), a piece of dowel
(held by the second clamp) and some electrical tape [3].

[1] Brownian spelling.
[2] My trike has a built in version.
[3] I had such a mount on a USS Reynolds Wishbone.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old August 29th 07, 01:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1080_]

Alistair Gunn wrote:
In uk.rec.cycling Tosspot twisted the electrons to say:
Dammit! Quite right of course. You know the things, got them on
http://www.wiggle.co.uk "Minoura Space Grip SG2 Handlebar Extension"
Variations on a theme from a few other manufacturers.

Having had the "fun" of installing a few SpaceGrips over my recumbent
owning years, I am wondering if the TerraCycle accessory mount is any
better? http://preview.tinyurl.com/2lc5bn

Can be useful little bugegrs. Recumbent tadpole trikes are well short
on sensible upfront, horizontal bars to tie things to.

That's one nice feature of Catrike's range - they've put a small
horizontal extension onto the front deraileur post to mount stuff on.

Earth Cycles made such a derailer [1] mast several years before Catrike did.

[1] Brownian spelling.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old August 29th 07, 03:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Aug 28, 8:52 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
wrote:

Earth Cycles made such a derailer [1] mast several years before Catrike did.

[1] Brownian spelling.

A spelling whose atoms move with random motion? ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

Old August 29th 07, 06:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Geoff Lane

Artemisia wrote in news:46d1c4b6$0$427
:

From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.

I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?

From the ICE website, the following link is one Trice T owner's solution:

http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/images/trik...es/chips_t.htm

Perhaps a bit extreme for most!