So how do I pick my seat ?

Old May 5th 07, 12:55 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G Wood

Default So how do I pick my seat ?

Bicycle seat that is...

I've been doing a lot of bike commuting to work while I wait for the local
trails to melt and dry out. The seat on my commuter was terrible, so I
swapped my comfy seat off my Klein for temporary commuter use.

Now the trails are drying and I really need a comfy seat on both bikes. I
know seat fit is very personal, and I know what feels bad, but how do you
get to test out a bunch of seats to see what feels good without buying them
and riding them for a few days?

Case in point, this spring I rode some trails in Baja on rental hardtails.
For the first few miles I thought - Hey these stock Specialized seats are
great, I'll get one when I get home. However, after a few more miles I
found I didn't like it at all. I can see buying a seat and setting it up
for a test ride, then thinking it's fine. A day later (when no retailer in
their right mind would take it back) you find out it's really not a good fit
for you.

What's the trick?

Old May 5th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On May 4, 4:55 pm, "G Wood" wrote:
[...]

Fizik Nisene for me. Ride more, trying different saddles until you
get it right. Then, eBay the ones you don't like off.

JD

Old May 5th 07, 02:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn

G Wood wrote:
[...]

Throw money at it until you find one you like, then buy one for each bike.
I like my Terry Fly Ti's
http://www.terrybicycles.com/saddles...tem_no=2123900

I hate the little "buzz off" thing, but I see no better way to dis it
than my fat butt sitting on it :-)

Shawn
Old May 5th 07, 05:01 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
wizardB

G Wood wrote:
[...]

I like the Selle Italia Flite for long rides but try lots of different
saddles every butt has it's own fit
Old May 5th 07, 05:12 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

I like my Terry Fly Ti'shttp://www.terrybicycles.com/saddles/detail.html?item_no=2123900

I hate the little "buzz off" thing, but I see no better way to dis it
than my fat butt sitting on it :-)

Shawn

I have to ditto the Terry seats. I've got the Ti Liberator Race on
the Switchblade, and the Fly something on the road bike. I love them.
And if you buy it new, they'll give a no questions asked refund, or
exchange if you find you don't like it.

CDB

Old May 6th 07, 03:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Crazy Fred

On May 4, 7:55 pm, "G Wood" wrote:
[...]

Sit ride till your butt loves one. And thats the seat thing.

Old May 7th 07, 02:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On May 4, 7:55 pm, "G Wood" wrote:
[...]

Maybe a month ago I read somewhere that, IIRC, WTB (Wilderness Trail
Bikes) put together some deal for shop owners to purchase a set of
their saddles for cheap so that people could demo ride before
purchasing. Can't find any info on it now, but I know shops were
grabbing them up. Anybody else heard of this?

Also: what works well on one bike won't necessarily work well on
another. On a road bike, I'm comfortable with a more ass-hatchety
saddle than I would be on an upright commuter. The weight distribution
is different.

/s