trek 820 brakes

Old March 12th 07, 06:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default trek 820 brakes

I have an old trek 820 chromoly with some shimano altus ct90 brakes
that have fallen apart. The plastic spring holder has broke on them
and the brakes drag on the rim. I need to know what replacement
cantilever brakes would be most appropriate for my bike. I was
considering using shimano altus ct91 brakes. I figured that this
model would likely be compatable with the old trek.

Old March 12th 07, 11:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Crazy Fred

On Mar 12, 2:13 pm, wrote:
I have an old trek 820 chromoly with some shimano altus ct90 brakes
that have fallen apart. The plastic spring holder has broke on them
and the brakes drag on the rim. I need to know what replacement
cantilever brakes would be most appropriate for my bike. I was
considering using shimano altus ct91 brakes. I figured that this
model would likely be compatable with the old trek.

No no go V brakes, all your need to change is the levers to V brake
levers.With V brakes your find they stop better and their way easier
to set up. I did it 10 years ago and never looked back.

Old March 12th 07, 11:46 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Mar 12, 6:17 pm, "Crazy Fred" wrote:
On Mar 12, 2:13 pm, wrote:

I have an old trek 820 chromoly with some shimano altus ct90 brakes
that have fallen apart. The plastic spring holder has broke on them
and the brakes drag on the rim. I need to know what replacement
cantilever brakes would be most appropriate for my bike. I was
considering using shimano altus ct91 brakes. I figured that this
model would likely be compatable with the old trek.

No no go V brakes, all your need to change is the levers to V brake
levers.With V brakes your find they stop better and their way easier
to set up. I did it 10 years ago and never looked back.

Ok, Ill take that direction. Thanks for the advice. One other thing
tho. I have no experience with bikes, and Im concerned about getting
brakes that are the correct size for the brake posts on my frame. Or
is that a universal size among all bikes. Also, is there any
affordable brand that you would recommend?

Old March 13th 07, 08:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Crazy Fred

On Mar 12, 2:13 pm, wrote:

[...]

OKAY I do. Your in business I had a 1996 Trek 820 ,my upgrade from a
department store bike. And that was back in 96. Tektro or Shimano
Deore.

Old March 13th 07, 09:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an old trek 820 chromoly with some shimano altus ct90 brakes
that have fallen apart. The plastic spring holder has broke on them
and the brakes drag on the rim. I need to know what replacement
cantilever brakes would be most appropriate for my bike. I was
considering using shimano altus ct91 brakes. I figured that this
model would likely be compatable with the old trek.

Nashbar makes decent cantis. I believe they are actually made by Tektro.
If you get Vs, you will need to get new levers as well.

Old May 11th 07, 05:01 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Mar 13, 4:23 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I have an old trek 820 chromoly with some shimano altus ct90 brakes
that have fallen apart. The plastic spring holder has broke on them
and the brakes drag on the rim. I need to know what replacement
cantilever brakes would be most appropriate for my bike. I was
considering using shimano altus ct91 brakes. I figured that this
model would likely be compatable with the old trek.

Nashbar makes decent cantis. I believe they are actually made by Tektro.
If you get Vs, you will need to get new levers as well.

My Bike Was Stolen Tonight! I had made the shimano Vbrake upgrade
which was fantastic along with a new seat. The thing was perfect for
my needs. What are my options for finding it?