Ain't I the sh!t

Old September 12th 03, 06:49 AM
Raptor

Default Ain't I the sh!t

I'm a bit out of practice doing wheel stands (balancing at a stop). But
I gave it a go today. At a stop light during rush hour, got tipped to
the wrong side, the left one, the foot that doesn't come out of the
clips quite as easily as the other.

Witness count: approx 8 including a pedestrian. It was a skillful fall,
no broken skin whatsoever, just some road grime on the shorts. The
pedestrian said, sagely, "Oh!" I replied brightly, "That's what I get
for showing off."

I unclipped the other foot, picked up the bike, bowed ellaborately to
the chuckling driver at the head of the waiting auto queue, remounted
and rode off with the green light, laughing at myself.

No falls, no balls. Although my falls don't really get much worse than
that anymore.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old September 15th 03, 01:32 AM
Burr

I pulled up at a diner on the beach at Newport Beach, Ca. in
front of five or six women and forgot to take my feet out of
the clips.
I feel and the chain ring did a job on my leg (still have the
scares). I got up and locked up the bike and went in and got
my food and set down.
One of the women came over and set with me, she old man if
you don't let me take care of your leg you are going to
bleed to death. I looked down and my right foot was in a
puddle of blood.

LIVE AND LEARN.
PS: I have also done a few of the stop light falls.

Burr

Old September 15th 03, 03:42 AM
P. Hardewig

Heavy afternoon traffic, 2 lanes each way to witness.
Did a really nice track stand and held it perfectly.
THEN...went to start & my left foot pulled out & I ended up almost doing a
header over the bars.
Luckily I didn't go down, just looked incredibly clumsy.
Seems those "Exus" cleats they sold me at my LBS aren't the "perfect
replacements for Looks" as they told me!
--
Wishing you flat hills, tailwinds & friendly dogs,
Pat

Old September 15th 03, 04:11 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:32:48 GMT, Burr penned:
I pulled up at a diner on the beach at Newport Beach, Ca. in
front of five or six women and forgot to take my feet out of
the clips.
I feel and the chain ring did a job on my leg (still have the
scares). I got up and locked up the bike and went in and got
my food and set down.
One of the women came over and set with me, she old man if
you don't let me take care of your leg you are going to
bleed to death. I looked down and my right foot was in a
puddle of blood.

LIVE AND LEARN.
PS: I have also done a few of the stop light falls.

Burr

The lesson is that pain is temporary and chicks dig scars? =P

--
monique

My pointless ramblings:
http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6
Old September 15th 03, 06:05 AM
Thomas Reynolds

Raptor wrote in message ...
I'm a bit out of practice doing wheel stands (balancing at a stop). But
I gave it a go today. At a stop light during rush hour, got tipped to
the wrong side, the left one, the foot that doesn't come out of the
clips quite as easily as the other.

Witness count: approx 8 including a pedestrian. It was a skillful fall,

This isn't quite the same thing but it reminded me of an incident that
happened to me more than 20 years ago. I was riding thru downtown San
Diego on a Sunday morning and I made a very fast right turn, leaned
over too far while pedaling, struck my right foot on the ground and
did an endo. I skidded a few feet, my bike a few feet farther but I
was ok.

I had been aware that there was no traffic but when I looked around to
see who I had embarassed myself in front of, there was no one in
sight. It felt wierd, downtown San Diego, in the middle of the
morning, and completely empty of life. It felt like one of those
"after the bomb" movies.

Tom
Old September 15th 03, 08:35 AM
Will S.

Showing off for my girlfriend in the alley with riding tricks. Leaned
the bike to the left (while riding) and climbed over to the right side
bracing my feet against the frame. Looked very cool for 3 seconds until
half of the back spokes blew out and the bike folded with me layed out on
my butt. Girlfriend was very impressed, I could tell by the awe in her
voice when she said "what an asshole".
Old September 15th 03, 02:52 PM
Burr

I hit my peddle one time and went about two feet sideways,
scared the hell out of me and I had pulled in front of cars.

Burr
PS: I didn't go down.