Inexpensive deep-section aero rims?

Old August 6th 05, 10:34 PM

Default Inexpensive deep-section aero rims?

Hi,

Can anyone make some recommendations for some inexpensive deep-section
aero rims? Something similar to the Zipp 404 and the like. Inexpensive
probably precludes carbon, but I'm interested in aero, not weight.
40-50mm deep minimum.

Any suggestions?

Joseph

Old August 6th 05, 10:47 PM
Scott

If any of the writings of Steve Hed and John Cobb are to be taken at
face value, you'll need a minimum of 60mm, preferably around 80+ to
gain any truly aero benefit.

At that rim height, anything but carbon is weight-prohibitive.

Old August 6th 05, 11:02 PM
colnalu

wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone make some recommendations for some inexpensive deep-section
aero rims? Something similar to the Zipp 404 and the like. Inexpensive
probably precludes carbon, but I'm interested in aero, not weight.
40-50mm deep minimum.

Any suggestions?

Joseph

OK, for 20 mm wide, 45 mm deep, go to
www.corima.fr. They ship directly
from factory for EUR 250 each + shipping. I'm told that you can use
regular nipples in them as well, though I have not verified this. Nor
can I find weight for a rim only (complete wheelset is 1470 g) /Robert

Old August 7th 05, 12:19 PM
Ron Ruff

Scott wrote:
If any of the writings of Steve Hed and John Cobb are to be taken at
face value, you'll need a minimum of 60mm, preferably around 80+ to
gain any truly aero benefit.

Do you have a link to those writings? I'm trying to get some info on
aero wheels... specifically, I'm interested in aluminum rims, and I'm
wondering if there is much benefit to going from 20mm to a 30mm rim
depth.

I found some test data at Zipp:
http://www.zipp.com/tech/aero.shtml

I'd expect them to be a little biased, but they actually show Ksyriums
being almost as good as their 202s at shallow wind angles. Anyway, they
definately show a benefit with the deeper rims (especially at large
wind angles), but the 202s and Ksyriums are still way better than the
GL330s.

-Ron

Old August 7th 05, 08:13 PM

On 7 Aug 2005 04:19:18 -0700, "Ron Ruff"
wrote:

Scott wrote:
If any of the writings of Steve Hed and John Cobb are to be taken at
face value, you'll need a minimum of 60mm, preferably around 80+ to
gain any truly aero benefit.

Do you have a link to those writings? I'm trying to get some info on
aero wheels... specifically, I'm interested in aluminum rims, and I'm
wondering if there is much benefit to going from 20mm to a 30mm rim
depth.

I found some test data at Zipp:
http://www.zipp.com/tech/aero.shtml

I'd expect them to be a little biased, but they actually show Ksyriums
being almost as good as their 202s at shallow wind angles. Anyway, they
definately show a benefit with the deeper rims (especially at large
wind angles), but the 202s and Ksyriums are still way better than the
GL330s.

-Ron

Dear Ron,

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...wheelview.html

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...wheelshed.html

Carl Fogel
Old August 7th 05, 11:14 PM
Ron Ruff

wrote:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...wheelview.html

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...wheelshed.html

Thanks for the links... but they only state a *preference* for deep
section rims. This is consistant with Zipp's data which shows slight
benefits as the section gets deeper. I didn't see anything like "you'll
need a minimum of 60mm, preferably around 80+ to gain any truly aero
benefit"... as though anything less than that is useless.

-Ron