To France - options

Old November 23rd 05, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default To France - options

Planning a trip to the Normandy area of France next May, about 10 days
cycling. Have been on some ferry sites and the prices they charge are
ludicrous and bikes do not go free anymore. I live in South Wales so
have access to the trains - Cardiff - to the South. What is my
cheapest non flying option? It is in my mind somewhere that a ferry
does go from somewhere on the south coast at a very reasonable cost.

All help appreciated.

Old November 23rd 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"nobody760" wrote in message
Planning a trip to the Normandy area of France next May, about 10 days
cycling. Have been on some ferry sites and the prices they charge are
ludicrous and bikes do not go free anymore. I live in South Wales so
have access to the trains - Cardiff - to the South. What is my
cheapest non flying option? It is in my mind somewhere that a ferry
does go from somewhere on the south coast at a very reasonable cost.

All help appreciated.

Varies according to time of year and operator. We went to Normandy in May
and at that time, car with three occupants & three bikes on rear
towbar-mounted bike carrier, the cheapest was via the tunnel. In the past
we've also used Norfolk Line and the Sea Cat. It just depended upon costings
at the time.

Cheers, helen s

Old November 23rd 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

nobody760 wrote:
It is in my mind somewhere that a ferry
does go from somewhere on the south coast at a very reasonable cost.

I've used Brittany Ferries before, without problems. You can even book
the bicycle on the ferry online:
http://www.brittanyferries.co.uk/

Brittany Ferries is a French company (I think) and, as you might expect,
the food is excellent.

Bob
Old November 23rd 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:19:12 GMT, "nobody760"
wrote:

Have been on some ferry sites and the prices they charge are
ludicrous and bikes do not go free anymore.

I think the norm is for bikes to go free on ferries - if not pop it in
a bike bag and carry it on as hand baggage.

Eurostar take them for free in a bike bag or you can pay £10 and send
them in advance.
Old November 23rd 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"nobody760" wrote in message
Planning a trip to the Normandy area of France next May, about 10 days
cycling. Have been on some ferry sites and the prices they charge are
ludicrous and bikes do not go free anymore. I live in South Wales so
have access to the trains - Cardiff - to the South. What is my
cheapest non flying option? It is in my mind somewhere that a ferry
does go from somewhere on the south coast at a very reasonable cost.

All help appreciated.

Eurotunnel is about the cheapest crossing - assuming that it's realistic to
get there from Wales and then to wherever you are going in Normandy ... fare
for passenger + bike is £16 each way. The service runs twice a day and is a
mini-bus and trailer that goes on the Shuttle train. You cycle to the
Eurotunnel offices (or I think you can drive and leave your car there) and
they take you across to the offices on the French side

RG

Old November 23rd 05, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

nobody760 wrote:
Planning a trip to the Normandy area of France next May, about 10 days
cycling. Have been on some ferry sites and the prices they charge are
ludicrous and bikes do not go free anymore. I live in South Wales so
have access to the trains - Cardiff - to the South. What is my
cheapest non flying option? It is in my mind somewhere that a ferry
does go from somewhere on the south coast at a very reasonable cost.

All help appreciated.

www.transmancheferries.com

sadly the only route left Newhaven- Dieppe; not fast but cheap, and
convenient for Normandy. Subsidised by the French government who care
about not letting their once thriving sea ports wither and die.

Old November 23rd 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:19:12 GMT, nobody760 wrote:

Planning a trip to the Normandy area of France next May, about 10 days
cycling. Have been on some ferry sites and the prices they charge are
ludicrous and bikes do not go free anymore. I live in South Wales so
have access to the trains - Cardiff - to the South. What is my
cheapest non flying option? It is in my mind somewhere that a ferry
does go from somewhere on the south coast at a very reasonable cost.

All help appreciated.

I've just looked at Brittany Ferries Portsmouth-Caen in May and it looks
like about £40 each, bike free of charge. That's not ludicrous.
--
Michael MacClancy
Old November 23rd 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

nobody760 wrote:

Planning a trip to the Normandy area of France next May, about 10 days
cycling. Have been on some ferry sites and the prices they charge are
ludicrous and bikes do not go free anymore. I live in South Wales so
have access to the trains - Cardiff - to the South. What is my
cheapest non flying option? It is in my mind somewhere that a ferry
does go from somewhere on the south coast at a very reasonable cost.

All help appreciated.

I see you would travel from Cardiff, which of course means the direct
line to Portsmouth is probably the most convenient - I tell a lie.
The Wessex trains are usually jam-packed two-carriage jobs and you will
need to book which will undoubtedly be the most nerve-racking part of
your trip.

I have often used the Brittany Ferries service from Portsmouth, usually
to Caen (which is actually several miles away from Ouistreham where the
boat arrives).
IMO that's the most pleasant place to start a tour of Normandy - its
great getting straight off the boat and ddrectly into the countryside.
You can also take the off-road cycle route along the river/canal all the
way to Caen itself.
It is a tad pricy - IIRCC it was around £75 return last time I went but
it does depend on time of year and time of day. I do like the overnight
ferries as it means leaving around 11pm after a pint or two in a local
pub :-) then arriving at 6am-ish for croisants and coffee after a
reasonable kip. No cycling time is lost :-)

There is a ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe which I've used just once and
the crossing is shorter. it is also cheaper, but you don't have an
overnight sleep opportunity. Newhaven would be pretty difficult from
Cardiff by train I suspect.

ISTR there was a 'basic' ferry that ran from Poole, but I don't think it
still exists.
There is also supposed to be a replacement for the P&O service from
Portsmouth by a company called LD Lines, but I don't know anything more.

Whatever, enjoy your trip. its a great area for quiet cycling and well
worth the ferry fare;-)

John B
Old November 23rd 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wafflycat wrote:

"nobody760" wrote in message
Planning a trip to the Normandy area of France next May, about 10 days
cycling. Have been on some ferry sites and the prices they charge are
ludicrous and bikes do not go free anymore. I live in South Wales so
have access to the trains - Cardiff - to the South. What is my
cheapest non flying option? It is in my mind somewhere that a ferry
does go from somewhere on the south coast at a very reasonable cost.

All help appreciated.

Varies according to time of year and operator. We went to Normandy in May
and at that time, car with three occupants & three bikes on rear
towbar-mounted bike carrier, the cheapest was via the tunnel. In the past
we've also used Norfolk Line and the Sea Cat. It just depended upon costings
at the time.

I think he means to go as a cyclist ;-)

John B
Old November 23rd 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

John B wrote:
wafflycat wrote:

"nobody760" wrote in message
Planning a trip to the Normandy area of France next May, about 10 days
cycling. Have been on some ferry sites and the prices they charge are
ludicrous and bikes do not go free anymore. I live in South Wales so
have access to the trains - Cardiff - to the South. What is my
cheapest non flying option? It is in my mind somewhere that a ferry
does go from somewhere on the south coast at a very reasonable cost.

All help appreciated.

Varies according to time of year and operator. We went to Normandy in May
and at that time, car with three occupants & three bikes on rear
towbar-mounted bike carrier, the cheapest was via the tunnel. In the past
we've also used Norfolk Line and the Sea Cat. It just depended upon costings
at the time.

I think he means to go as a cyclist ;-)

John B

just been doing a bit of surfing; as it is That Time of Year;
Dover-Calais day trip £6 with a bike (now all I need is a trailer!),
but they don't take foot passengers. And Hoverspeed has folded up on
that route too. Things are looking grim. How come the tunnel is in such
dire staits when there is so little competition?