Bike maintenance course in Melbourne?

Old August 7th 06, 12:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Walrus

Default Bike maintenance course in Melbourne?

Does anyone know of a bike maintenance course in Melbourne? I see adds
for classes in other countries and I'd love to learn some of the basic
skills from someone who knows. eg. groupset replacement, wheel
trueing, cassette change etc. I realise some of these things can be
learned from books and trial and error...but there's nothing like
actually seeing someone do it up close.

--
Walrus

Old August 7th 06, 12:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Walrus wrote:
Does anyone know of a bike maintenance course in Melbourne? I see adds
for classes in other countries and I'd love to learn some of the basic
skills from someone who knows. eg. groupset replacement, wheel
trueing, cassette change etc. I realise some of these things can be
learned from books and trial and error...but there's nothing like
actually seeing someone do it up close.

Check this lot out :

http://www.bv.com.au/inform.php?a=6&b=187&c=440

Old August 7th 06, 12:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Walrus wrote:
Does anyone know of a bike maintenance course in Melbourne? I see adds
for classes in other countries and I'd love to learn some of the basic
skills from someone who knows. eg. groupset replacement, wheel
trueing, cassette change etc. I realise some of these things can be
learned from books and trial and error...but there's nothing like
actually seeing someone do it up close.

Monash Short Courses. I did this and was very happy with it. I believe
CERES also do a similar course.

http://www.shortcourses.monash.edu.au/diy.html

DaveB
Old August 7th 06, 01:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Walrus

Thanks guys, they look perfect.

--
Walrus

Old August 7th 06, 01:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"Walrus" wrote:

Does anyone know of a bike maintenance course in Melbourne? I see adds
for classes in other countries and I'd love to learn some of the basic
skills from someone who knows. eg. groupset replacement, wheel
trueing, cassette change etc.

Also try CERES in Northcote.
www.ceres.org.au/community/onsitegroups.html#bg

A friend of mine, John Harland is involved with BrunsBug in the running of
their bicycle recycle shed at CERES and often runs classes on various bike
maintenance aspects. He has previously conducted his own bike maintenance
course via the Council of Adult Education.
--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old August 7th 06, 01:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Peter Signorini wrote:
"Walrus" wrote:
Does anyone know of a bike maintenance course in Melbourne? I see adds
for classes in other countries and I'd love to learn some of the basic
skills from someone who knows. eg. groupset replacement, wheel
trueing, cassette change etc.

Also try CERES in Northcote.
www.ceres.org.au/community/onsitegroups.html#bg

A friend of mine, John Harland is involved with BrunsBug in the running of
their bicycle recycle shed at CERES and often runs classes on various bike
maintenance aspects. He has previously conducted his own bike maintenance
course via the Council of Adult Education.

Yep John was the one that did the Monash Short Course I mentioend in the
other post. Knows his stuff.

DaveB
Old August 7th 06, 03:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Walrus

Dave, could you run through what they covered in the Monash course?
Their site is a bit light on for detail.

--
Walrus

Old August 7th 06, 04:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Walrus wrote:
Dave, could you run through what they covered in the Monash course?
Their site is a bit light on for detail.

basics like cleaning, brake pads, tyres
Puncture repairs
Brake and gear cables
gear maint
cluster removal
brake adjustments
hub overhaul
BB overhaul
steering overhaul

Best part was you do it all on your own bike so you make sure you
understand how it all relates to you. I reckon it paid for itself on the
first service.

DaveB