Logo-less King Headsets!

Old August 2nd 05, 12:47 AM
Kinky Cowboy

Default Logo-less King Headsets!

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:17:03 -0600, Llatikcuf
wrote:

Maybe this is old news, but-

Peter White sells Chris King Headsets without the King logo.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headsets.asp

-n

You've spent a ton of money on your headset, pretty much everybody
agrees you've got the best one going, why wouldn't you want the logo?
:-)

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old August 2nd 05, 02:21 AM

if i sold frames without decals since the late 70s, i think i'd
continue to sell them as such.

kcg sold logo-less headsets for about 20 plus years; that's the issue
here.
e-RICHIE©™®

Old August 2nd 05, 03:56 AM
41

bfd wrote:
Why not? Its good marketing.

Not so good because I and others wouldn't buy one for that reason. The
high price doesn't hurt either but I wouldn't buy one at nearly any
price, whereas I would pay enough for something I liked.

The problem is not the presence of the logo per se. Campagnolo headsets
were fine, as were Suntour and many others. These were tastefully done.
The problem is THE BIG FLAMING SILK SCREENED LOGO shouting out
"fashion/marketing victim & dork" from as far away as you can read the
bazillion point type.à

Old August 2nd 05, 01:44 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

wrote:

Maybe this is old news, but-

Peter White sells Chris King Headsets without the King logo.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headsets.asp

-n

You've spent a ton of money on your headset, pretty much everybody
agrees you've got the best one going, why wouldn't you want the logo?
:-)

bing, bing, bing, we have a winner. I WANT eople to know I have a
Merckx and a king HS, it is the best and I want to sell more. Does
Richard really think he would sell as many of his really beautiful
frames w/o his name on them? His name is part of which makes it
beautiful.

Still don't get the sweat of having a maker's name on something on a
bike.

Old August 2nd 05, 04:20 PM
41

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Does
Richard really think he would sell as many of his really beautiful
frames w/o his name on them? His name is part of which makes it
beautiful.

Still don't get the sweat of having a maker's name on something on a
bike.

How about if he had them RICHARDSACHS RICHARDSACHS RICHARDSACHS
RICHARDSACHS...
in bazillion-point all caps italic all around every tube?

Old August 2nd 05, 04:25 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

41 wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Does
Richard really think he would sell as many of his really beautiful
frames w/o his name on them? His name is part of which makes it
beautiful.

Still don't get the sweat of having a maker's name on something on a
bike.

How about if he had them RICHARDSACHS RICHARDSACHS RICHARDSACHS
RICHARDSACHS...
in bazillion-point all caps italic all around every tube?

It just doesn't bother me. I counted Merckx 17 times on the last frame
we got...so what. This is a headset afterall.

Old August 2nd 05, 05:41 PM
bfd

Yes, King or kcg as you call them, may have been selling headsets for
20 years, but it really wasn't until everybody started going to
threadless that its "name" sold.

With threaded headsets, there was always competition from Campy and
Shimano for high end, "top-of-the-line" headsets. However, when
threadless forks started becoming popular back in the early 90s, at
that time, neither Campy nor Shimano offered one. In fact, Shimano
refuses to pay royalties and to this day still doesn't offer its
headset as a threadless. This opened the door for King as it became
*THE* headset, for those seeking "quality" and are willing to pay the
price. Thus, it is now a "name" product.

Because of that, thousands of riders use King and many prefer the
larger logo to let people know what they got. After all, it is only a
headset, but hey, YOU want people to now what ya got.....btw, I have a
king threadless headset, but its one of the logo-less ones (or at least
the logo is so small you have to really look close to see).

Old August 2nd 05, 06:19 PM
bfd

Yow, the above should have read:

"YOU want people to KNOW what ya got.....

Old August 2nd 05, 08:06 PM

i never said _it mattered_ , i only said the drill has been that
it was offered both ways through the past 20? years and
all of the sudden the option ceased. i use the marked ones
as well. kapeesh?
e-RICHIE©™®

Mountain Bikers Do $10,000 of Damage to King County, WA, Park SuperG Mountain Biking 1 July 5th 05 08:26 AM
King of all holidays [email protected] General 0 March 14th 05 07:32 AM
Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day History Quiz! Ray Sersharp Racing 0 January 18th 05 05:02 AM
handlebar height n crowley General 35 April 19th 04 07:12 PM
Say it aint so Shimano ... PART 2 Donald Gillies Techniques 64 September 4th 03 06:46 PM