WTF: Repair of a Ti road frame

Old August 5th 05, 03:55 PM
mrbubl

Default WTF: Repair of a Ti road frame

Want to find someone who can weld a cracked Ti frame (GT brand, no
warranty due to their bankruptcy). Cracked on the seat tube near the
BB. Ideally should be fixed in a frame jig to assure alignment.

TIA
Old August 5th 05, 06:24 PM

A seat tube crack is possibly the most expensive fix possible - I
assume they would want to replace the seat tube as every frame I have
broken they have simply replaced the broken tube and some manufacturers
simply consider the frame a loss if the tube is the seat tube.

www.ticycles.com does almost anything Ti related and was recommended to
me by Litespeed for out of warranty modifications.

Old August 5th 05, 07:54 PM
Leo Lichtman

wrote: A seat tube crack is possibly the most
expensive fix possible (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The frame is undoubtedly of welded construction. Unless the crack is more
of an ugly tear, I would expect that welding would be possible without
replacing the tube. But, not by just anybody! Titanium needs to be
shielded with inert gas for welding, including the INSIDE of the tube. It's
called "back purging." Anyone who builds titanium frames would be set up to
do this, and would also understand the need for clamping that you may
require.

Old August 5th 05, 11:05 PM
Eagle Jackson

I used Ti Cycles for frame work on a Ti frame and they did an amazing
job.

I had Kona Haole (Sandvik made) with very little tire clearance under
the rear brake bridge. A 23mm tire would rub. I had them raise the
bridge to provide more clearance. They did such a good job -- evidence
of the change was not discernable visually.

Old August 6th 05, 05:44 PM
Kovie

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

wrote: A seat tube crack is possibly the most
expensive fix possible (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The frame is undoubtedly of welded construction. Unless the crack is more
of an ugly tear, I would expect that welding would be possible without
replacing the tube. But, not by just anybody! Titanium needs to be
shielded with inert gas for welding, including the INSIDE of the tube.
It's called "back purging." Anyone who builds titanium frames would be
set up to do this, and would also understand the need for clamping that
you may require.

Although I bought my Ti road frame elsewhere I live just a few miles from Ti
Cycles in Seattle and had them give my built-up bike a final once-over, and
felt quite comfortable with their level of service and professionalism. I
asked them about their Ti frames and was told that they were built by a
local master Ti framebuilder who works out of his house (this was 2 years
ago, maybe he's moved to bigger quarters since), who has and uses all the
appropriate equipment, including all the jigs and O2-free chambers required.
So I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call and see what they can do with
this frame.

--
Kovie
zen