Make this your New Year resolution...

Old December 19th 03, 01:52 PM
Howard

Default Make this your New Year resolution...

Hi there,

Another thread brought up the issue of cyclists failing to speak up in
their own interests, especially when local authorities ignore all the
'Best practice' advice they are supposed to follow and so make the
roads even more 'cycling unfriendly' then they are already.

The important point was made that whilst most LA's have 'Cycle Forums'
these are usually regarded by council officers as being 'talking
shops' to keep the local cycling zealots quiet and to meet their
statutory responsibility to consult. In addition, those dedicated
cycle campaigners most people leave campaigning work to are often seen
as being unrepresentative of 'normal' cyclists or even just 'nutters',
even when those campaigners are doing nothing more then quoting from
offical design guidelines. (For example, it seems many LA's actually
believe that 'cyclists' want narrow badly surfaced 'cycle paths' where
the cyclist has to give way every few metres and that most cyclists
have no problems at all with 'pinchpoints' and roundabouts...)

What is really needed is more cyclists getting of their backsides and
expressing their concerns to LA's and other bodies, perhaps taking the
time to find out just what their LA is supposed to be doing, what road
schemes are under consideration and so on.

Given the way cyclists are being ever more marginalised how about a
few more cyclists standing up for themselves and making the resolution
that:

'Where I see the interests of cyclists being ignored by central
government, local authorities or others, or cyclists unfairly vilified
in the press, I will take the time to stand up for my own and other
cyclists interests by at least writing to object.'

That't it, if every cyclist did this only 3 or 4 times a year we just
might have a chance of getting more attention paid to cyclists needs.
I am sure plenty of people here are not adverse to wring the odd
letter to their MP's but I have no doubt plenty of people don't. Let's
heed the words of a speaker at the Mass Cyclists protest held in Hull
in 1935,

'only by continually protesting and acting could cyclists maintain
their place on the roads of Great Britain'.

A happy New Year!
Old December 19th 03, 02:30 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

"Howard" wrote in message
om...
Hi there,

Another thread brought up the issue of cyclists failing to speak up in
their own interests, especially when local authorities ignore all the
'Best practice' advice they are supposed to follow and so make the
roads even more 'cycling unfriendly' then they are already.

Good idea. I'll write next time I see something that bothers me / would make
my life easier if it were done.

In fact, I'll write to the manager of the local supermarket and ask why they
don't have bikestands (well, they have some wheelbenders loosely bolted into
the wall by the cashpoints, but...)

Cheers,

Old December 19th 03, 05:11 PM
David Martin

On 19/12/03 1:30 pm, in article ,
"Ambrose Nankivell" wrote:

In fact, I'll write to the manager of the local supermarket and ask why they
don't have bikestands (well, they have some wheelbenders loosely bolted into
the wall by the cashpoints, but...)

I just wheel the bike straight in and do my shopping using the basket on the
front. No one bats an eyelid.

...d

Old December 19th 03, 08:40 PM
Howard

In fact, I'll write to the manager of the local supermarket and ask why they
don't have bikestands (well, they have some wheelbenders loosely bolted into
the wall by the cashpoints, but...)

Cheers,

Hi there,

What supermarket is it? If it is ASDA they are supposed to have
adopted a policy of installing Sheffield stands. If the store has been
there less the 5 years or so the local authority should, and might
well have, made the use of Sheffield stands a condition of the
planning consent.

I went though all this with a new ASDA store in Hull and eventually
got Sheffield stands installed, even though I did have to provide
details of the relevant guidelines and even find a supplier. (Hull
City Council had made the use of Sheffield stands a condition of the
planning consent but brought no real pressure to bear on ASDA when
they didn't bother putting them in...) If it is ASDA e-mail me and I
will provide the contact details for their specification manager. Good
luck! It only too a year for ASDA to sort of the stands I requested!
Old December 20th 03, 12:26 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

In om,
Howard typed:
In fact, I'll write to the manager of the local supermarket and ask
why they don't have bikestands (well, they have some wheelbenders
loosely bolted into the wall by the cashpoints, but...)

Cheers,

Hi there,

What supermarket is it? If it is ASDA they are supposed to have
adopted a policy of installing Sheffield stands. If the store has been
there less the 5 years or so the local authority should, and might
well have, made the use of Sheffield stands a condition of the
planning consent.

Thanks. I'm afraid it's a Morrison's and it's been there about 10-15 years,
I think. I guess it's important to find out what they're obliged to have
before writing to the manager, so I'll do so.

Old December 22nd 03, 01:42 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Thanks. I'm afraid it's a Morrison's and it's been there about 10-15 years,
I think. I guess it's important to find out what they're obliged to have
before writing to the manager, so I'll do so.

Morrison's in Dereham in Norfolk has *excellent* cycling provision - loads of
stands under the eaves of one side of the building, all securely concreted into
the ground. Unlike Tesco in Dereham which has a piddling couple of triple
stands which are *not* secured to the ground and where a letter to the manager
asking for them to be secured to the ground has been ignored. I shall do a
follow-up letter post Christmas and if that is also ignored, I shall be
permanently taking my custom elsewhere.

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old December 22nd 03, 05:24 PM
Pete Whelan

Thanks. I'm afraid it's a Morrison's and it's been there about 10-15 years,
I think. I guess it's important to find out what they're obliged to have
before writing to the manager, so I'll do so.

Morrison's in Dereham in Norfolk has *excellent* cycling provision - loads of
stands under the eaves of one side of the building, all securely concreted into
the ground. Unlike Tesco in Dereham which has a piddling couple of triple
stands which are *not* secured to the ground and where a letter to the manager
asking for them to be secured to the ground has been ignored. I shall do a
follow-up letter post Christmas and if that is also ignored, I shall be
permanently taking my custom elsewhere.

This would appear to be standard Tesco policy, Quite often the three
slice toast rack is positioned so that only two cycles can use it, instead
of the six it is designed for. They certainly can't fit a tandem and
trailer in them.
We also tried complaining to Tesco (copied to their insurers) about the
grannite cobbles they use on the approach road into the car park, as the
spaving is such that it will easily trap a 23mm tyre. It was sent as an
official letter from the Suffolk CTC, stating that if any of our members
had an accident due to these cobbles, then they had been forwarned, and
their insurance would probably be invalid. So far we have not had need
to claim against them.

--
Pete

interchange 12 for 21 to reply

Old December 22nd 03, 05:51 PM
Tony Raven

Pete Whelan wrote:
We also tried complaining to Tesco (copied to their insurers) about the
grannite cobbles they use on the approach road into the car park, as the
spaving is such that it will easily trap a 23mm tyre. It was sent as an
official letter from the Suffolk CTC, stating that if any of our members
had an accident due to these cobbles, then they had been forwarned, and
their insurance would probably be invalid. So far we have not had need
to claim against them.

Which is probably fortunate because any claim would probably be met with the
counterclaim that you were already well aware they might trap a tyre and
therefore riding across them despite that was contributory negligence.

Tony

Old December 23rd 03, 08:44 AM
Pete Whelan

Tony Raven wrote:
Pete Whelan wrote:

We also tried complaining to Tesco (copied to their insurers) about the
grannite cobbles they use on the approach road into the car park, as the
spaving is such that it will easily trap a 23mm tyre. It was sent as an
official letter from the Suffolk CTC, stating that if any of our members
had an accident due to these cobbles, then they had been forwarned, and
their insurance would probably be invalid. So far we have not had need
to claim against them.

Which is probably fortunate because any claim would probably be met with the
counterclaim that you were already well aware they might trap a tyre and
therefore riding across them despite that was contributory negligence.

Tony

But first time users wouldn't necessarily be aware of such a problem.
Our approach to this kind of problem worked with Sainsburys. We got a
copy from their insurance company saying they had a certain period of
time to get things in order or they wouldn't be covered.

Emma Speaks B. Lafferty Racing 26 June 15th 04 02:25 PM
HOW TO TURN $6 INTO $6000 AnthonyT12341234 Marketplace 2 January 7th 04 08:51 PM