spoke calc/hub ID/Ambrosio Excelitle

Old July 27th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ernie

Default spoke calc/hub ID/Ambrosio Excelitle

I've been playing around with Damon Rinard's spoke calc. I'm having
problems identifying my classic Specialized hubs. I've narrowed it
down to 3. The one that is "126mm" (rear obviously) and the others are
described as "old" and "older". The difference in the latter 2 being
only the distance from center of wheel to either hub flange.

I've actually eliminated the one that is "126" since the spoke bolt
circle is not right, but was wondering if by describing it as "126" is
implying that the "old" and "older" were not 126 spacing.

In short how can I check the distance to the hub flange? Or is there
some other data base that might help. (eventhough spokecalc seems very
complete)

Anyone have the ERD on Ambrosio Excellite rim? That one was not in
Spokecalc data base and Ambrosio website is no help. Any opinions on
this rim?

thanks,
Ernie

Old July 27th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ernie
did you search tech archives for spoke calc?
do this now. then defecate

obtain a solid straight and true well seasoned 2x4 or better 4x4 of 1
foot more than your rim diameter

drill a hole in the middle for the axle. find an extra long axle-think
machine shop

shim the 4x4 up from your working surface with blocks of whatever to
the distance from outside axle nut to center rim minus 1/2 rim width

place rim on blocks

jam axle/hub into center whole [you can fudge this if no extra length
axle is found but try to find-it's easuer]

you now have a reference to measure spoke length so measure

buy 8 of that length, lace at 1/4 rim points and then proceed to buy
more of that length
or adjust length upward or downwards

this is from frank barto. thanks frank!

Old July 29th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

this is from frank barto. thanks frank!

FRANK BERTO.
thanks frank, you're the greatest!

Old July 29th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee

http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spoca...asureHubAndRim

--
daveornee

Old July 30th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

"Ernie" wrote in news:1154018538.998932.94630
@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

SNIP

Anyone have the ERD on Ambrosio Excellite rim? That one was not in
Spokecalc data base and Ambrosio website is no help. Any opinions on
this rim?

The Excelight has a profile 0.7mm taller than the
Excellence/Evolution/Excursion, which all have an ERD of 606mm. I'd use an
ERD of 604.6 mm. If that's off, it won't be off by enough to matter.

Old August 1st 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ernie

Thanks Frank, you ARE the greatest, I was finishing my defaction

Ernie
wrote:
this is from frank barto. thanks frank!

FRANK BERTO.
thanks frank, you're the greatest!

spoke squeezing test [email protected] Techniques 3 May 23rd 06 12:17 AM
two odd wheel-building techniques [email protected] Techniques 63 August 26th 04 03:08 PM
MA3 rim failure, where to now jt UK 481 October 10th 03 10:20 PM
MA3 rim failure, where to now B Techniques 258 October 10th 03 08:46 PM