Brake handle on T7?

Old December 13th 08, 10:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

Default Brake handle on T7?

I'm considering to add a Magura brake to my 36" which has a T7 handle.
The brake handle will likely have a spooner on it.

Now, I have my left hand almost always on the left-hand tube of the T7,
so the brake handle MUST be there or it's useless. But it also MUST be
far enough backwards so that it doesn't hit the road, because I know I
will fall. But I'm not sure if there's enough room.

Maybe people have done this already? E.g., if there is not enough room,
would it be possible to make an extension to the T7? Maybe a curved
piece of tube, like an upside-down U that extends forwards and connect
the two handle halves, in a not-too-ugly way? Welding is probably ideal,
but otherwise something that uses screws or seat clamps could be OK.

--
Klaas Bil
Old December 13th 08, 11:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

You can mount the brake lever on the T7 without any problems. If you're
worried about braking it on a upd just don't tighten it too much, so it
can move when it hits the ground. The spooner doesn't make much sense
there though IMHO. I have to warn you about the T7, mine lasted only
about 7 months. It might be a good idea to have it reinforced before it
cracks...

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old December 13th 08, 01:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

yes my hs33 fits snugly so that it cant touch the road. A spooner would
probably stick out too far, and would e of little use as you can squeeze
with your fingersround the handle in the way you would on a bike.

--
kington99

Dave

Old December 13th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

kington99;1148773 wrote:
yes my hs33 fits snugly so that it cant touch the road. A spooner would
probably stick out too far, and would e of little use as you can squeeze
with your fingersround the handle in the way you would on a bike.

Maybe I should forego the spooner then. Can you post a side-view
picture? If possible include the wheel so that I can judge how far it
stays from the road in case of a fall.

--
Klaas Bil
Old December 13th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

will get out and shoot a couple of photos for you this afternoon

--
kington99

Dave

Old December 13th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
samwii

Heres a pic of the lever, this was before I put the brake on though. It
does not hit the road when you UPD, so I wouldn't worry too much
[image:
http://file042b.bebo.com/8/original/...61694186o.jpg]

EDIT: I don't think there is too much difference between a standard
brake lever and a maggie brake lever is there? Mine is just a V-brake

--
samwii

_ [ C O L O R = \ \ " Y E L L O W \ \ " ] B R I N G _ B A C K _ T H E _
R O U N D C R O W N _ F R A M E S ! [ / C O L O R ] _
I'm getting one...
Old December 14th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CoreTechs

I don't think you would need a spooner on the T7. When you brake, it is
natural to put two fingers around the lever from the side and pull. The
spooner would be more useful if you were mounting the handle directly to
the seat using a break handle mount.

--
CoreTechs

UNICYCLE FOR CHRIST

In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti

)--21stOverall-RTL2008-O
)--18thCriterium-RTL2008-O
Old December 14th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

OK, no spooner then. Samwii, that's a rather short lever isn't it? Also
the black thingy that connects the lever to the T7 seems to recess it
somewhat more so that the lever is in a safe place. Are those two parts
standard Magura stuff?

Kington, you didn't post a picture. Is your brake lever setup similar
to Samwii's?

--
Klaas Bil
Old December 15th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CoreTechs

My lever seemed to be that long. I've since put it on my muni, but
here's the only good-ish side view of it on the T7.

|Filename: IMG_0136crop.jpg |

Old December 15th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

Case closed folks. Thanks to all of your input, I managed to get it
right, see pic. The leeway will depend on how much I angle the seat
upward, but with almost a cm to spare I should be safe.

|Filename: brake_lever_and_T7.jpg |

Klaas Bil