Grease is Good

Old July 28th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBAFromNY

Default Grease is Good

Over the past week or so, a clicking sound on the same spot in every
pedal revolution on the right side was driving me crazy. I tightened
the crank fixing bolt. I played around with every adjustment I could
find on the pedal and cleat. I checked the saddle and seatpost.
Tightened the chainring bolts. Adjusted the derailleurs. Concluded
there was something wrong with the pedal, just as Nashbar announced a
pedal sale. Just to be sure, I swapped out the noisy pedal for an old
one I had lying around. The noisy pedal was surprisingly easy to
remove. Not loose, per se, put very little wrench effor required.
Threads were dry, too. Hmm. Took a spin around the block, and the
substitute didn't click. Hmm. Put back the clicker back, this time
tightening it hard. No click. Double hmm. Took it out again, and
put it back with some grease. Then said to self, "self, maybe you
should grease and re-tighten a bunch of other fasteners that have been
clicking and creaking, too". I now have a stealth bike. Better keep
your eyes open, because you won't hear me coming any more.

Grease is good,
John

Old July 28th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

JBAFromNY wrote:
[...]

If it has threads, it needs grease.....

Old July 28th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dukester

"JBAFromNY" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Brilliant! I've had the exact same problem (well not really a problem, just
annoying as hell) for the last 2 weeks, and ended up taking apart the
chainring and pedals with no success. Tonight - greasy threads!

Cheers!
Dukester

Old July 28th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris Nelson

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
JBAFromNY wrote:
[...]

Speaking of which, does Shimano make that green stuff anymore? It
seemed to work well for me but I can't seem to find it anymore. Any
other recommendations?

Chris

Old July 28th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

JBAFromNY wrote:
[...]

I'm using the off-white Castrol marine grease and liking it. Not as pretty as
white lithium, but more water resistant and just about as good for revealing
contamination. Great consistency, no seperation and far beyond any needed
technical spec for bike use.

Ron
Old July 28th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBAFromNY

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
JBAFromNY wrote:
[snip tale of noise and grease]

If it has threads, it needs grease.....

I'll never doubt again.

John

Old July 28th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

JBAFromNY wrote:

Grease is good,

To parody Spike Milligan:

Grease is a wonderful beast
Oil is slicker,
But grease is thicker
Old July 28th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Friday

JBAFromNY wrote:
[...]

We had a greaser at the power station where I work. His name was Stan
and he spoke with a thick Polish accent. Stan always used to say that,
"A little bit of grease is better than no grease at all!"
So as soon as we hear a squeak we all chorus Stans saying.

Friday
Old July 31st 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:

If it has threads, it needs grease....

What about tapered press fits? .

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

Snow Damage fcwegnm0b Unicycling 17 November 3rd 05 07:17 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. Iwant to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or Carl Pearson Marketplace 0 April 25th 05 04:59 AM
BICYCLE grease [email protected] Techniques 2 February 16th 05 01:58 PM
grease DJ Australia 3 January 28th 05 08:01 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM