Street/Flat Pedal Idea

Old August 14th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kilian

Default Street/Flat Pedal Idea

Today I started learning footplants and about 1/3 of the time I can't
complete it because my pedal flips around to where it would be very
hard to jump back on the unicycle. The same thing can happen with
unispins and just about every move you do with your feet off the
pedals.

What I thought about was putting a small magnet on the inside edge of
both pedals on both sides of the axel, so that when your feet left the
pedals the magnet would be attracted to the crank and the pedal would
stay flat. While you were riding you would probably have to put a tiny
bit more pressure on the pedal to move, but such a small amount that it
wouldnt really matter.

What do you think?

--
Kilian

maestro8 wrote:
I wear a sleeveless unitard for trials and I muni in a camouflage tu-tu.

harper wrote:
The pope rides a wooden unicycle?

warlord14 wrote:
we need to build are numbers up then we can start on are way to unicycle
domination.

skrobo wrote:
i can pee while riding backwards

Old August 14th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oneisenough

or you could put a small weight on the bottom of the pedal...similar to
this:

[image:
http://www.cyclesportandfitness.com/...ser_Pedal.jpg]
you wont need the straps, but that thing on the bottom keeps it so the
pedal stays upright. And I know these pedals wouldn't work good, but a
similar but better design may.

--
oneisenough

Plaeze x-cuze mi spelin' (If its wrong)
'Youtube' (http://www.youtube.com/user/RookieFilming) 'Vimeo'
(http://www.vimeo.com/user496125)

The UniSLAB wrote:
Go big or go home, don worry about those little clown tricks called
flips and wrap arounds. We don't dance with our uni's, we jump em

2nd Place*)---', 6ft Static Gap
Old August 14th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pedrotejada

oneisenough wrote:
or you could put a small weight on the bottom of the pedal...similar to
this:

[image:
http://www.cyclesportandfitness.com/...ser_Pedal.jpg]
you wont need the straps, but that thing on the bottom keeps it so the
pedal stays upright. And I know these pedals wouldn't work good, but a
similar but better design may.

The magnet is lighter I think... If this system works well, I would buy
or make one...

--
pedrotejada

*BUT*

Brazilian Unicycling Team
Old August 14th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kilian

For crankflips I think if you got within 30-40 degrees it would still be
landable.

The wieght idea would work but I think it would prevent you from
grinding.

EDIT:Unless someone comes up with a major reason this wouldnt work I
will try it and report back.

--
Kilian

Old August 14th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Any Terrain

oneisenough wrote:
or you could put a small weight on the bottom of the pedal...similar to
this:

[image:
http://www.cyclesportandfitness.com/...ser_Pedal.jpg]
you wont need the straps, but that thing on the bottom keeps it so the
pedal stays upright. And I know these pedals wouldn't work good, but a
similar but better design may.

This would not work actually.

It would just make the pedal horizontal at all times. Not alligned with
the cranks.

--
Any Terrain

'The Great Chicago Meet-up Thread'
Old August 14th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

Or you could practise. No one takes up unicycling because it's easy.

A bad workman blames his tools.

--
Mikefule

Either you understand the concept of a false dichotomy perfectly, or you
don't understand it at all.
Old August 14th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kerv

Kilian wrote:
The wieght idea would work but I think it would prevent you from
grinding.

If the weight that was attached to the bottom of the pedal was a grind
plate, it would improve grinding.

--
Kerv
Old August 14th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Michaelgoround

I had a grind plate on the bottom of my uni and I took it of cause I
thought it was annoying(Every once and awhile my foot would land on the
plate).

--
Michaelgoround
Old August 14th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kilian

@ mikefule i could practice a ton so that my pedals never moved but it
would be much easier just to apoxy some magnets on my pedals
ie: you could practice a ton so that you didnt need pinned pedals but
it is much easier to get pinned ones

grindplate: i'm to lazy to build a grindplates for my pedals... much
easier just to glue on magnets and they r way lighter

--
Kilian

Old August 15th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

Kilian wrote:
ie: you could practice a ton so that you didnt need pinned pedals but it
is much easier to get pinned ones

Meh. You would still want to keep going over bigger and bigger
obstacles. I could stand on a waxed grind plate to do pretty much
everything I could do 6 months ago, but that doesn't mean I don't like
pinned pedals.

I think the magnets would make it feel freaky to do certain things. I
really wouldn't want to use that setup.

--
hobo_chuck