Changing brake side for (modern) Campagnolo Record

Old December 7th 11, 11:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim Bradshaw

Default Changing brake side for (modern) Campagnolo Record

I'm contemplating buying a new bike which has mostly Record bits I
think (certainly the brake levers/shifters are), presumably from
2009/2010 or so. It has the brakes on the "wrong" side ("right" side
for me is back brake / right hand, since the first proper bike I had I
bought in continental Europe).

How hard is it likely to be to swap? Previously I've done this just by
taking the bar tape off & swapping cables over, which is pretty easy.
I can't remember if I've ever needed a new cable (I didn't most
recently, but that was a single-speed bike, and my memory is dim before
that). I guess the real question is: is there anything about
Campagnolo bits which would make it unusually hard or expensive to do
this, as I might not buy the bike in that case.

(I can't look at it to work it out as it's hundreds of miles away,
hence lazy question).

Thanks

--tim

Old December 7th 11, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 7, 5:54*am, Tim Bradshaw wrote:
I'm contemplating buying a new bike which has mostly Record bits I
think (certainly the brake levers/shifters are), presumably from
2009/2010 or so. *It has the brakes on the "wrong" side ("right" side
for me is back brake / right hand, since the first proper bike I had I
bought in continental Europe).

How hard is it likely to be to swap? *Previously I've done this just by
taking the bar tape off & swapping cables over, which is pretty easy.

Yes. You'll need a couple new cable ends. I believe those cost less
than $50 USD.
Old December 7th 11, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Dec 7, 11:54*am, Tim Bradshaw wrote:
[...]

If the bar taping is good, you can save retaping by cutting the cable
outers just after they emerge from the tape. If you want, use shrink
wrap tubing to keep the new joint (where you swap the cables) tight.
You still need to pull the inner wires first, and swap them around.
Old December 7th 11, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

You can easily swap cables and housing between left and right Ergo
levers. No changes necessary. Not sure what the other person is
talking about when he says "You'll need a couple new cable ends." You
will need nothing new. Just swap them from one side to the other.
Old December 7th 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

russellseaton wrote:

You can easily swap cables and housing between left and right Ergo
levers. *No changes necessary. *Not sure what the other person is
talking about when he says "You'll need a couple new cable ends." *You
will need nothing new. *Just swap them from one side to the other.

I think landotter was talking about cable tip crimp caps. Those will
probably be necessary.

Chalo
Old December 7th 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Dec 7, 12:00*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

will need nothing new. *Just swap them from one side to the other.- Hide quoted text -

The crimped cable ends may or may not be reused, depending on how
squished they are. LO's price estimate was facetious.
Old December 7th 11, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim Bradshaw

Phil W Lee wrote:
dangerous wear in the inner wires passing through them.

It takes a special kind of idiot to render the bike dangerous and
wreck a set of cable outers in order to preserve a bit of bar tape.

It's OK, I wasn't worried about replacing the tape, more about some
gratuitous handednes in the brake levers
Old December 11th 11, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m Sherm@n

On 12/7/2011 3:11 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
considered Wed, 7 Dec 2011 09:31:34
-0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

On Dec 7, 11:54 am, Tim wrote:
[...]

Do not follow this advice.
It is dangerous.
If you are crazy enough to cut the outers, you will need to put
something like a barrel adjuster between the ends to keep them
properly aligned and stop the cut ends from causing hidden and
dangerous wear in the inner wires passing through them.

It takes a special kind of idiot to render the bike dangerous and
wreck a set of cable outers in order to preserve a bit of bar tape.

Perfectly good advice for the alternate universe Trevor lives in. For
the rest of us, Mr. Lee is correct.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old December 12th 11, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m Sherm@n

On 12/7/2011 2:08 PM, Hank wrote:
On Dec 7, 12:00 pm, "
wrote:
On Dec 7, 5:54 am, Tim wrote:

[...]

Maybe landotter buys cable end crimps by the thousand?

Old December 12th 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Dec 7, 9:11*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:
thirty-six considered Wed, 7 Dec 2011 09:31:34
[...]

Bull****. As long as the housing remains in line and is cut neat
there is no problem. The use of lined cables makes it even more
obvious how satisfactory this repair is without requiring the use of a
ferrule.