Sustrans Connect2 projects, vote early vote often!

Old February 14th 07, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

Default Sustrans Connect2 projects, vote early vote often!

The Sustrans Connect2 project is a bid for National Lottery money to
implement various schemes around the country, using the theme of connecting
people & communities together. There are 140 individual cycling projects
under consideration by Sustrans, who will pick a short list and then use
that list in the bid for the Lottery "The People’s Millions" competition
to be voted by the general public next winter.

Part of the Sustrans evaluation is popular vote via a dedicated website:
http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/

Of course I wouldn't want to influence the voting in any way (pfff!), but
there is one of them that I'm involved with, and if you have nothing local
and don't want to let your vote go to waste, errrr, well, nudge nudge,
wink wink. Here are the brief details at Connect2 including the vote
link:
http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/p...tail.php?id=44

and there's a lot more about it he
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/69/article7.html

Or, if you come to the Cambridge Cycling Campaign monthly meeting on
Tuesday 6th March I'll be describing the scheme in detail.

Vote! Vote! Vote!

Mike
Old February 14th 07, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Mike Causer wrote on 14/02/2007 20:50 +0100:

Part of the Sustrans evaluation is popular vote via a dedicated website:
http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/

Is there a button to vote for them to stop producing lots of rubbish
routes for cyclists?

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old February 15th 07, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:01:43 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:

Is there a button to vote for them to stop producing lots of rubbish
routes for cyclists?

So far I have only talked to the local Sustrans rangers, not the head
office types, but from the outside (I'm not a member...) it looks as if
the problem is that Sustrans accept anything that the local authority
propose. Probably they point out what's wrong, maybe they don't, I can't
tell. But in reality if the local authority hold the purse-strings they
will get their way.

We have Howard Peel's testimony to the way that some authorities regard
their own Cycling Officers (now offline, can we have it back Howard
please?), which makes me wonder whether they listen to _anyone_ if they
don't listen to people whom they pay to know how to do it properly.
Cambridgeshire's recent record is poor too, ignoring their own cycling
audits (or not doing them at all).

The good news is that this project actually belongs to the National Trust,
who have listened to and acted on advice they've been given, and I have
high confidence that there won't be anything totally stupid on it. There
will be places where there will have to be compromises though, building
three new bridges and refurbishing two more is not cheap, nor is laying
down 8km of hard surface over what is currently grass or ploughed field.
The not so good news is that this route is more for leisure than commuting
or long distance touring.

So I admit that it won't be perfect, but I'll be pushing to make it as
good as realistically possible.

Mike
Old February 15th 07, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Geller

Mike Causer wrote:
The Sustrans Connect2 project is a bid for National Lottery money to
implement various schemes around the country, using the theme of connecting
people & communities together. There are 140 individual cycling projects
under consideration by Sustrans, who will pick a short list and then use
that list in the bid for the Lottery "The People’s Millions" competition
to be voted by the general public next winter.

Part of the Sustrans evaluation is popular vote via a dedicated website:
http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/

One smart thing that Sustrans have done here is bundle a lot of projects
from around the country together. In the past projects have been
proposed that are specific to a particular area, and only people from
that area are likely to vote for them. Once this gets to the Lottery
stage projects will have been prioritised locally, and people have an
opportunity to get behind the programme nationally. Clever stuff!

On the subject of the quality of Sustrans routes, people always remember
the crap bits and forget the good stuff don't they? Here are some
examples of really good Sustrans Routes that I know of: Manchester
Cycleway, Bristol-Bath, Derby - Market Harborough, York - Selby, North
Wales Coast, Fishguard - Camarthen (both braids) There are 10,000 miles
of Sustrans route in the UK - don't tar it all with the same brush.

Personally I'm gunning for the Sheaf Valley bridge in Sheffield:
http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/p...ail.php?id=127

Simon

--
"Just because the world's getting hotter, you can't pin that on global
Warming!
Old February 15th 07, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark W

Would add Sustrans 51, the bit from the A1 at Sandy to Bedford. Far
better than the equivalent roads (more direct, flatter and less
traffic ! - it follows the old railway line). In the towns its self
its a bit naff though (and completely useless through Kempston - I
recommend being highly assertive and taking your chances in the
traffic).

Old February 15th 07, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MJ Ray

Mike Causer
Part of the Sustrans evaluation is popular vote via a dedicated website:
browse http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/

The SQL error message below, displayed by using the Project Search on the
Projects page is not a good advert for Focus New Media or Sustrans. First
of all, basic testing should have found that; secondly, the site shouldn't
spew SQL errors to viewers - the programming should have some error
handling. Finally, they should have used PATH_INFO or Rewriting to make
http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/p...ail.php?id=148
something more friendly like
http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/projects/detail/148

SQL error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
'LIMIT 0,5' at line 1 =SQL= SELECT * FROM Projects WHERE LIMIT 0,5 =SQL=

If Sustrans Connect 2 does get lottery money, will Sustrans continue to
waste it on bad web sites?
--
MJR/slef

Old February 21st 07, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mike Causer

handling. Finally, they should have used PATH_INFO or Rewriting to makehttp://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/projects/project_detail.php?id=148
something more friendly likehttp://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/projects/detail/148

SQL error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
'LIMIT 0,5' at line 1 =SQL= SELECT * FROM Projects WHERE LIMIT 0,5 =SQL=

IfSustransConnect 2 does get lottery money, willSustranscontinue to
waste it on bad web sites?
--
MJR/slef

I would thank Mike Causer ,first of all, for his post encouraging
people to visit the www.sustransconnect2.org.uk website. Connect2 is
very much aimed at benefiting communities and it's important we get an
indication of how people feel about the proposed routes. His efforts
to promote the project are much appreciated.

As to the comments about SQL errors on the site, I would say that
Sustrans welcomes direct, constructive feedback on the Connect2
website and proposed projects which is why we clearly signpost how to
get in touch with the Connect2 team and provide comments. We have
raised the issue that was helpfully reported by MJ Ray with our
developer.

We would like to encourage all of those who are interested in finding
out more about Connect2 to visit www.sustransconnect2.org.uk and
discover how Connect2 aims to work with communities and partners
around the UK to overcome long-standing barriers such as busy roads,
railways or rivers that are dividing communities and making it
difficult for people to travel by foot or bike as part of their
everyday lives.

Old February 22nd 07, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MJ Ray

wrote:
As to the comments about SQL errors on the site, I would say that
Sustrans welcomes direct, constructive feedback on the Connect2
website and proposed projects which is why we clearly signpost how to
get in touch with the Connect2 team and provide comments. We have
raised the issue that was helpfully reported by MJ Ray with our
developer.

Will I get a direct reply at any point? Usenet is very unreliable -
I almost missed this response.

We would like to encourage all of those who are interested in finding
out more about Connect2 to visit
www.sustransconnect2.org.uk and
discover how Connect2 aims to work with communities and partners
around the UK to overcome long-standing barriers such as busy roads,
railways or rivers that are dividing communities and making it
difficult for people to travel by foot or bike as part of their
everyday lives.

I think Sustrans could make as much difference by doing something
about the inadequate crossings that are already on Sustrans routes.
For example, Hewish railway bridge has NCN 3 signs around it (although I
can't find it marked on the online map, but there are numerous omissions,
such as the lanes along the B3440) and seems to often let oncoming
traffic go before cyclists have cleared the bridge!

I can't find anywhere to report these to Sustrans, I can't find local
Ranger details and so on and so forth. If I get time during the day,
I'll phone and try to find out, the same as I did in Norfolk, but this
sort of information really should be readily available.

Good to see someone from Sustrans on uk.rec.cycling, though!

Regards,
--
MJR/slef
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/

Vote? Martin Bulmer UK 1 August 15th 06 08:11 PM
Go here and vote Jim Flom Racing 2 January 1st 06 06:59 AM
Now there's a party to vote for.. David Martin UK 8 May 3rd 05 12:47 PM
Time to Vote Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 7 February 1st 05 05:08 PM