A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Racing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fractured collar bone



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 21st 04, 09:15 AM
Bob Smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fractured collar bone

I originally posted this on rec.sport.rowing but it was suggested that
cyclists have a lot more experience in this area. I hope someone can
help.

I fractured my collar bone last August and the last two pieces joined
up at the beginning of January. Two weeks ago they separated again.

The two ends overlap by just over an inch.

There seem to be three options:

1. Do nothing and just live with the non-union
2. Have the bone pinned in its current position
3. Have the bone ends trimmed and fixed end to end with a plate

If possible I would like to contact some people who have experienced
one (or more) of these options.

Currently my favourite is option 2 because I know that while the
collar bone was joined I was able to use the ergometer without
discomfort, although obviously with very low effort, and most of my
shoulder mobility had already returned. With option 1 I suspect I
would be reluctant to apply full effort to any shoulder work. Option 3
seems to be more complex and with a greater risk of failure for mainly
cosmetic benefits.

All helpful suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Ads
  #2  
Old February 21st 04, 08:51 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fractured collar bone



Bob Smith wrote:

I originally posted this on rec.sport.rowing but it was suggested that
cyclists have a lot more experience in this area. I hope someone can
help.

I fractured my collar bone last August and the last two pieces joined
up at the beginning of January. Two weeks ago they separated again.

The two ends overlap by just over an inch.

There seem to be three options:

1. Do nothing and just live with the non-union
2. Have the bone pinned in its current position
3. Have the bone ends trimmed and fixed end to end with a plate

If possible I would like to contact some people who have experienced
one (or more) of these options.

Currently my favourite is option 2 because I know that while the
collar bone was joined I was able to use the ergometer without
discomfort, although obviously with very low effort, and most of my
shoulder mobility had already returned. With option 1 I suspect I
would be reluctant to apply full effort to any shoulder work. Option 3
seems to be more complex and with a greater risk of failure for mainly
cosmetic benefits.

All helpful suggestions welcome.

Thanks.


I assume you had a non-union of the fracture. If it is a new
fracture, I think most doctors would just let it heal.
I fractured my left clavicle 10 years ago, at age 42. Certainly my
healing was slower than the young pups, but it did heal. I have the
typical step deformity of this kind of fracture.
I believe the doctors are a little concerned about tissue damage to
the surrounding area (including some very major blood vessels) if you have
free bone ends. Either way, your shoulder mobility shouldn't be affected
much.
Your doctor will be better prepared to discuss the risks of doing
nothing.
The other issue is which type of repair is less likely to have postop
problems. Certainly pinning in the current position sounds much easier
than trying to line up and fuse the fractured ends, and it may have a
better chance of achieving a stable union.

Good luck,
Steve


--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
http://www.dentaltwins.com


  #3  
Old February 22nd 04, 09:22 AM
Dashi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fractured collar bone


"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" wrote in message
...


Bob Smith wrote:

I originally posted this on rec.sport.rowing but it was suggested that
cyclists have a lot more experience in this area. I hope someone can
help.

I fractured my collar bone last August and the last two pieces joined
up at the beginning of January. Two weeks ago they separated again.

The two ends overlap by just over an inch.

There seem to be three options:

1. Do nothing and just live with the non-union
2. Have the bone pinned in its current position
3. Have the bone ends trimmed and fixed end to end with a plate

If possible I would like to contact some people who have experienced
one (or more) of these options.

Currently my favourite is option 2 because I know that while the
collar bone was joined I was able to use the ergometer without
discomfort, although obviously with very low effort, and most of my
shoulder mobility had already returned. With option 1 I suspect I
would be reluctant to apply full effort to any shoulder work. Option 3
seems to be more complex and with a greater risk of failure for mainly
cosmetic benefits.

All helpful suggestions welcome.

Thanks.


I assume you had a non-union of the fracture. If it is a new
fracture, I think most doctors would just let it heal.
I fractured my left clavicle 10 years ago, at age 42. Certainly my
healing was slower than the young pups, but it did heal. I have the
typical step deformity of this kind of fracture.
I believe the doctors are a little concerned about tissue damage to
the surrounding area (including some very major blood vessels) if you have
free bone ends. Either way, your shoulder mobility shouldn't be affected
much.


I disagree with this. My shoulder mobility was affected very much, so much
in fact that I was unable to raise my arm above shoulder level.

Diagnosis: Frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis.

Very bad stuff, took me six months of physical therapy to get well.

Dashi



Your doctor will be better prepared to discuss the risks of doing
nothing.
The other issue is which type of repair is less likely to have postop
problems. Certainly pinning in the current position sounds much easier
than trying to line up and fuse the fractured ends, and it may have a
better chance of achieving a stable union.

Good luck,
Steve


--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
http://www.dentaltwins.com




  #4  
Old February 22nd 04, 09:25 PM
Bob Smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fractured collar bone

Steve and Dashi

Thanks for your comments.

It was the same fracture that separated rather than a fresh fracture.
The problem with doctors is they all have different opinions - that's
where the three options came from, so I think I have to decide what I
want and then find someone to do it. This is why I am trying to
discover how other people have been affected.

I'm also a bit concerned about healing being slower with age if it's
left to heal itself as I will be 57 in May and want to be competing
again this year rather than next year.

Thanks again.

Bob
  #5  
Old February 23rd 04, 02:24 AM
Dashi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fractured collar bone


"Bob Smith" wrote in message
m...
Steve and Dashi

Thanks for your comments.

It was the same fracture that separated rather than a fresh fracture.
The problem with doctors is they all have different opinions - that's
where the three options came from, so I think I have to decide what I
want and then find someone to do it. This is why I am trying to
discover how other people have been affected.

I'm also a bit concerned about healing being slower with age if it's
left to heal itself as I will be 57 in May and want to be competing
again this year rather than next year.
Bob


Happened to me when I was 58, no problem with the collar bone healing, but
the Adhesive Capsulitis was a terrible experience, never want that to happen
again.

Dashi


  #6  
Old February 23rd 04, 04:42 AM
Steven Bornfeld
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fractured collar bone



Dashi wrote:
"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" wrote in message
...


Bob Smith wrote:


I originally posted this on rec.sport.rowing but it was suggested that
cyclists have a lot more experience in this area. I hope someone can
help.

I fractured my collar bone last August and the last two pieces joined
up at the beginning of January. Two weeks ago they separated again.

The two ends overlap by just over an inch.

There seem to be three options:

1. Do nothing and just live with the non-union
2. Have the bone pinned in its current position
3. Have the bone ends trimmed and fixed end to end with a plate

If possible I would like to contact some people who have experienced
one (or more) of these options.

Currently my favourite is option 2 because I know that while the
collar bone was joined I was able to use the ergometer without
discomfort, although obviously with very low effort, and most of my
shoulder mobility had already returned. With option 1 I suspect I
would be reluctant to apply full effort to any shoulder work. Option 3
seems to be more complex and with a greater risk of failure for mainly
cosmetic benefits.

All helpful suggestions welcome.

Thanks.


I assume you had a non-union of the fracture. If it is a new
fracture, I think most doctors would just let it heal.
I fractured my left clavicle 10 years ago, at age 42. Certainly my
healing was slower than the young pups, but it did heal. I have the
typical step deformity of this kind of fracture.
I believe the doctors are a little concerned about tissue damage to
the surrounding area (including some very major blood vessels) if you have
free bone ends. Either way, your shoulder mobility shouldn't be affected
much.



I disagree with this. My shoulder mobility was affected very much, so much
in fact that I was unable to raise my arm above shoulder level.

Diagnosis: Frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis.

Very bad stuff, took me six months of physical therapy to get well.

Dashi


Sorry to hear this. I assume your fracture was fairly distal and
involved the AC joint? Did you have surgery? In any case you did
pretty much regain your shoulder mobility?
My fracture, BTW was about 2/3 of the way from my sternum to my AC joint.

Steve





Your doctor will be better prepared to discuss the risks of doing
nothing.
The other issue is which type of repair is less likely to have postop
problems. Certainly pinning in the current position sounds much easier
than trying to line up and fuse the fractured ends, and it may have a
better chance of achieving a stable union.

Good luck,
Steve


--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
http://www.dentaltwins.com






  #7  
Old February 23rd 04, 09:38 PM
Dashi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fractured collar bone


"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message
...


Dashi wrote:
"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" wrote in
message ...


Bob Smith wrote:


I originally posted this on rec.sport.rowing but it was suggested that
cyclists have a lot more experience in this area. I hope someone can
help.

I fractured my collar bone last August and the last two pieces joined
up at the beginning of January. Two weeks ago they separated again.

The two ends overlap by just over an inch.

There seem to be three options:

1. Do nothing and just live with the non-union
2. Have the bone pinned in its current position
3. Have the bone ends trimmed and fixed end to end with a plate

If possible I would like to contact some people who have experienced
one (or more) of these options.

Currently my favourite is option 2 because I know that while the
collar bone was joined I was able to use the ergometer without
discomfort, although obviously with very low effort, and most of my
shoulder mobility had already returned. With option 1 I suspect I
would be reluctant to apply full effort to any shoulder work. Option 3
seems to be more complex and with a greater risk of failure for mainly
cosmetic benefits.

All helpful suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

I assume you had a non-union of the fracture. If it is a new
fracture, I think most doctors would just let it heal.
I fractured my left clavicle 10 years ago, at age 42. Certainly my
healing was slower than the young pups, but it did heal. I have the
typical step deformity of this kind of fracture.
I believe the doctors are a little concerned about tissue damage to
the surrounding area (including some very major blood vessels) if you
have
free bone ends. Either way, your shoulder mobility shouldn't be affected
much.



I disagree with this. My shoulder mobility was affected very much, so
much in fact that I was unable to raise my arm above shoulder level.

Diagnosis: Frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis.

Very bad stuff, took me six months of physical therapy to get well.

Dashi


Sorry to hear this. I assume your fracture was fairly distal and involved
the AC joint? Did you have surgery? In any case you did pretty much
regain your shoulder mobility?
My fracture, BTW was about 2/3 of the way from my sternum to my AC joint.

Steve



Thanks for the note of sympathy but I am almost 100% now, 2 years after the
accident.

When I fell I landed on my right scapula which caused my collar bone to
shatter. I didn't go over the handlebars but off of the side of the mountain
bike.

I visited a surgeon once a month while in physical therapy (Air Force
hospital) so that he could guage my progress. He decided against surgery.

I believe that the collar bone fracture was secondary to the shoulder
injury.

I do believe in preventive medicine now, I don't do anything stupid on a
bike anymore. :-

Hope that you are fully recovered also.

Dashi




  #8  
Old February 23rd 04, 11:26 PM
Steven Bornfeld
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fractured collar bone

Dashi wrote:
"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message
...


Dashi wrote:

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" wrote in
message ...


Bob Smith wrote:



I originally posted this on rec.sport.rowing but it was suggested that
cyclists have a lot more experience in this area. I hope someone can
help.

I fractured my collar bone last August and the last two pieces joined
up at the beginning of January. Two weeks ago they separated again.

The two ends overlap by just over an inch.

There seem to be three options:

1. Do nothing and just live with the non-union
2. Have the bone pinned in its current position
3. Have the bone ends trimmed and fixed end to end with a plate

If possible I would like to contact some people who have experienced
one (or more) of these options.

Currently my favourite is option 2 because I know that while the
collar bone was joined I was able to use the ergometer without
discomfort, although obviously with very low effort, and most of my
shoulder mobility had already returned. With option 1 I suspect I
would be reluctant to apply full effort to any shoulder work. Option 3
seems to be more complex and with a greater risk of failure for mainly
cosmetic benefits.

All helpful suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

I assume you had a non-union of the fracture. If it is a new
fracture, I think most doctors would just let it heal.
I fractured my left clavicle 10 years ago, at age 42. Certainly my
healing was slower than the young pups, but it did heal. I have the
typical step deformity of this kind of fracture.
I believe the doctors are a little concerned about tissue damage to
the surrounding area (including some very major blood vessels) if you
have
free bone ends. Either way, your shoulder mobility shouldn't be affected
much.


I disagree with this. My shoulder mobility was affected very much, so
much in fact that I was unable to raise my arm above shoulder level.

Diagnosis: Frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis.

Very bad stuff, took me six months of physical therapy to get well.

Dashi


Sorry to hear this. I assume your fracture was fairly distal and involved
the AC joint? Did you have surgery? In any case you did pretty much
regain your shoulder mobility?
My fracture, BTW was about 2/3 of the way from my sternum to my AC joint.

Steve




Thanks for the note of sympathy but I am almost 100% now, 2 years after the
accident.

When I fell I landed on my right scapula which caused my collar bone to
shatter. I didn't go over the handlebars but off of the side of the mountain
bike.

I visited a surgeon once a month while in physical therapy (Air Force
hospital) so that he could guage my progress. He decided against surgery.

I believe that the collar bone fracture was secondary to the shoulder
injury.

I do believe in preventive medicine now, I don't do anything stupid on a
bike anymore. :-

Hope that you are fully recovered also.

Dashi




Pretty much. My orthopedist said I'd never model swimsuits anymore,
and damned if she wasn't right!

Steve
  #9  
Old February 24th 04, 09:43 AM
Bob Smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fractured collar bone

Steven Bornfeld wrote in message ...
Dashi wrote:
"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message
...


Dashi wrote:

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" wrote in
message ...


Bob Smith wrote:



I originally posted this on rec.sport.rowing but it was suggested that
cyclists have a lot more experience in this area. I hope someone can
help.

I fractured my collar bone last August and the last two pieces joined
up at the beginning of January. Two weeks ago they separated again.

The two ends overlap by just over an inch.

There seem to be three options:

1. Do nothing and just live with the non-union
2. Have the bone pinned in its current position
3. Have the bone ends trimmed and fixed end to end with a plate

If possible I would like to contact some people who have experienced
one (or more) of these options.

Currently my favourite is option 2 because I know that while the
collar bone was joined I was able to use the ergometer without
discomfort, although obviously with very low effort, and most of my
shoulder mobility had already returned. With option 1 I suspect I
would be reluctant to apply full effort to any shoulder work. Option 3
seems to be more complex and with a greater risk of failure for mainly
cosmetic benefits.

All helpful suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

I assume you had a non-union of the fracture. If it is a new
fracture, I think most doctors would just let it heal.
I fractured my left clavicle 10 years ago, at age 42. Certainly my
healing was slower than the young pups, but it did heal. I have the
typical step deformity of this kind of fracture.
I believe the doctors are a little concerned about tissue damage to
the surrounding area (including some very major blood vessels) if you
have
free bone ends. Either way, your shoulder mobility shouldn't be affected
much.


I disagree with this. My shoulder mobility was affected very much, so
much in fact that I was unable to raise my arm above shoulder level.

Diagnosis: Frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis.

Very bad stuff, took me six months of physical therapy to get well.

Dashi

Sorry to hear this. I assume your fracture was fairly distal and involved
the AC joint? Did you have surgery? In any case you did pretty much
regain your shoulder mobility?
My fracture, BTW was about 2/3 of the way from my sternum to my AC joint.

Steve




Thanks for the note of sympathy but I am almost 100% now, 2 years after the
accident.

When I fell I landed on my right scapula which caused my collar bone to
shatter. I didn't go over the handlebars but off of the side of the mountain
bike.

I visited a surgeon once a month while in physical therapy (Air Force
hospital) so that he could guage my progress. He decided against surgery.

I believe that the collar bone fracture was secondary to the shoulder
injury.

I do believe in preventive medicine now, I don't do anything stupid on a
bike anymore. :-

Hope that you are fully recovered also.

Dashi




Pretty much. My orthopedist said I'd never model swimsuits anymore,
and damned if she wasn't right!

Steve


I broke mine in a quad bike race when I hit a rut and rolled. Some
ribs broke too but they healed quite quickly, the collar bone was
complicated by having several pieces at the distal end. I'm not into
modelling either fortunately.

Anyway, I have decided that I will definitely have surgery, it's just
a choice now of which way to do it. And I've set myself the target of
beating my PB at the British Indoor Rowing Championship in November. I
probably won't race quad bikes again - they won't harm me but my wife
would kill me :-)

Bob
  #10  
Old February 24th 04, 05:18 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fractured collar bone



Bob Smith wrote:


I broke mine in a quad bike race when I hit a rut and rolled. Some
ribs broke too but they healed quite quickly, the collar bone was
complicated by having several pieces at the distal end. I'm not into
modelling either fortunately.

Anyway, I have decided that I will definitely have surgery, it's just
a choice now of which way to do it. And I've set myself the target of
beating my PB at the British Indoor Rowing Championship in November. I
probably won't race quad bikes again - they won't harm me but my wife
would kill me :-)

Bob


Hope that's a realistic goal--sounds like a lot of shoulder in that!
My wife also said she'd kill me if I crash again!

Steve


--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
http://www.dentaltwins.com


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fractured front cog? Badger_South General 9 July 6th 04 11:16 AM
OTB and broken collar bone Maciej Gałuszka General 4 May 16th 04 05:47 PM
OTB and fractured left end of clavicle Maciej Gałuszka Mountain Biking 5 May 12th 04 04:48 AM
Tyler's Bone Muddy Helmut Racing 1 July 24th 03 11:44 PM
Sit bone pain question Tom Sherman General 0 July 10th 03 10:09 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.