Foldable BikeE

Old March 24th 04, 05:30 AM
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

Default Foldable BikeE

Don B. wrote:
Has anyone tried sawing a BikeE frame in half to fit it into a
standard suitcase? If so, did the disassembled bike fit entirely in a
suitcase, or in a suitcase and a half (with room for a few clothes and
vacation supplies)? Also, how did you fabricate a connector for the
two frame sections? I suppose I should also ask if the operation was a
success.

YIKES! Wouldn't you prefer getting a Sat R Day bike from Bike Friday?

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Old March 24th 04, 11:02 AM
Torben Scheel

"Don B." wrote in message
om...
Has anyone tried sawing a BikeE frame in half to fit it into a
standard suitcase? If so, did the disassembled bike fit entirely in a
suitcase, or in a suitcase and a half (with room for a few clothes and
vacation supplies)? Also, how did you fabricate a connector for the
two frame sections? I suppose I should also ask if the operation was a
success.

In short - a connector won't work for a single tube frame. Apart from that,
the connector solution (as in S&S couplers) is for high end bikes, as it's
really expensive.

But if it's a matter of life or death, You could weld (or bolt?) the frame
together with a kind of sleeve over the cut. Not a desirable solution in my
humble opinion.

Regards, Torben

Old March 24th 04, 11:11 AM
Dave Larrington

It's /possible/ that the hinge arrangement from one of the old rectangular
frame Bickerton folders might do the trick, but the chances of finding a
Chocolate Bickie[1] still in one piece are probably slim.

1 - so called as they had the structural rigidity of a chocolate digestive
/after/ it's been dunked in ones tea...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/