Newbie Questions

Old February 26th 05, 03:19 PM
eagleeye1200

Default Newbie Questions

Hello to all;

Want to upgrade my riding and my bicycle this spring. I have a Specialized
Hard Rock Sport that I use for errands around town and light trail riding
and I love this bike. I also have an older model church yard-sale Matsuishi
10 speed that I use for longer road rides. This is the bike I want to
upgrade. I usually use this bike for 10-15 mile rides a couple times a week
for fun and exercise and want to upgrade.

I hope to extend the road rides to 20-25 miles or so and would like some
recommendations on a bike. I am about 5'11 210 lbs, so I need something
that is strong enough and comfortable enough for someone my size. Not into
racing, just riding to get a little sweat and have some fun.

Would like to spend no more than $500-$600 and get something that I am not
going to want to upgrade again.

New to this group, so please point me in the right direction if there is a
bette place to post or a web site where I could find some useful info in
making my decision.

thanks

Old February 26th 05, 04:27 PM
Arthur Harris

"eagleeye1200" wrote:
Want to upgrade my riding and my bicycle this spring.

I also have an older model church yard-sale Matsuishi
10 speed that I use for longer road rides. This is the bike I want to
upgrade. I usually use this bike for 10-15 mile rides a couple times a
week
for fun and exercise and want to upgrade.

I hope to extend the road rides to 20-25 miles or so and would like some
recommendations on a bike. I am about 5'11 210 lbs, so I need something
that is strong enough and comfortable enough for someone my size. Not
into
racing, just riding to get a little sweat and have some fun.

Would like to spend no more than $500-$600 and get something that I am not
going to want to upgrade again.

I'm a little confused by your wording. Do you want to upgrade or replace the
"Matsuishi?" Upgrade generally means making changes to an existing bike.

If you're already doing 10-15 mile rides on that bike, I don't see why you
can't do 20-25 miles. What specifically don't you like about the bike? What
do you want from a new bike that this one can't deliver? There may be good
reasons for switching to a different bike, but you have to give us more
info.

See:
http://www.sbraweb.org/choose.htm

Art Harris

Old February 26th 05, 08:29 PM
Ken

"eagleeye1200" wrote in
I also have an older model church
yard-sale Matsuishi 10 speed that I use for longer road rides. This is
the bike I want to upgrade. I usually use this bike for 10-15 mile rides
a couple times a week for fun and exercise and want to upgrade.

Really hard to recommend upgrades without seeing the current bike. I would
start by upgrading parts that affect your fit and comfort on the bike
(saddle, stem, etc.). Next would be tires and brake pads.
Old February 26th 05, 09:14 PM
David

In article gs0Ud.65284$8a6.50887@trndny09, eagleeye1200
wrote:

[...]

What you are probably looking at is a better fitting bike than what
you've got now? Usually, 20-25miles isn't undoable if you've done
10-15 miles, except if both of your bikes are giving you pain and you
can't ride further than 15 miles. If that's the case, let us know what
kind of discomfort you're experiencing.
Or go to a good bike shop for some good bike fitting advise..

Remember, expensive bikes don't make good bikes if they don't fit you
right and brand name is irrelevant since different maker have different
sizing requirements.

David.
Old February 26th 05, 10:27 PM

Arthur Harris wrote:

See:
http://www.sbraweb.org/choose.htm

Nice article, Art.

Old February 27th 05, 12:51 AM
eagleeye1200

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
"eagleeye1200" wrote:
[...]

Art;

thanks. My newbie is showing for sure. I said "upgrade", which I now
understand
means replacing components on an existing bike. What I had in mind was
purchasing
a new bike. I also mis-stated the type of bike. It is a Marushi Road Race
RX3. Anyone ever heard of this bike? Got it a church yard sale for $10 and
have made no changes except new tires, lube, adjust. Bike is fine,
but a bit tall for me as I have short legs for my height. Think I would
also like thumb shifters rather than the old style shift levers on the stem
like this one has.

thanks,

eagleeye1200

Old February 27th 05, 03:31 AM
Gooserider

"eagleeye1200" wrote in message
[...]

If you want to spend $600 on a new bike you have a lot of choices. I think
Trek, Bianchi, Cannondale, Giant, and the other big makers all have entry
level road bikes at that price point. Of course, if you know what you want
and what size you need, you can do very well on eBay.

Old February 27th 05, 01:29 PM
Arthur Harris

"eagleeye1200" wrote:

What I had in mind was purchasing
a new bike. I also mis-stated the type of bike. It is a Marushi Road
Race
RX3. Anyone ever heard of this bike? Got it a church yard sale for $10
and
have made no changes except new tires, lube, adjust. Bike is fine,
but a bit tall for me as I have short legs for my height. Think I would
also like thumb shifters rather than the old style shift levers on the
stem
like this one has.

If the bike doesn't fit properly, that IS a good reason to replace it. But
if you can straddle the frame with your feet flat on the ground and at least
1/2" of clearance it MAY not be too big. The top tube length is actually
more important. And since you suggest that your torso is proportionally
longer than your legs, a long top tube might be good.

If the bike has stem mounted shifters, it's probably a low-end model. It may
even have steel rims, and other undesirable features.

As for paying $500-600 for a new bike and never wanting to upgrade again,
well, you can never tell. If you start to really get into road riding, you
may find yourself wanting to ride more than 20-25 miles. And then you might
want to move up again. But it's best to find out your biking preferences
before committing to a big purchase.

For now, may want to look into a hybrid bike. Hybrids are a cross between a
road bike and a mountain bike. They have upright handlebars, but wheels more
like a road bike (but with somewhat wider tires). Hybrids are usually less
expensive than a road bike, and can handle dirt and gravel roads in addition
to pavement. They're good for distances up to 25-30 miles or so. Beyond that
they tend to get uncomfortable due to the lack of multiple hand positions on
the bars and the extra weight supported by the saddle as a result of the
upright position.

Road bikes are lighter/faster and put you in a more aerodynamic position.

I would suggest you test ride some hybrids and road bikes, and see which you
prefer. And above all, find a shop that will get you on the right size frame
and set you up on it properly.

Art Harris

Old February 27th 05, 02:42 PM
Paul Cassel

eagleeye1200 wrote:

New to this group, so please point me in the right direction if there is a
bette place to post or a web site where I could find some useful info in
making my decision.

I'm fairly new myself. I had the good luck of knowing a fellow who spent
years working in a bike shop plus was a semi pro racer himself. He
pointed me in the right direction which was, somewhat surprising,
fitmet. I suggest you get yourself to a bicycle fit Web site or visit a
good local bike shop to be fitted properly. IMO, and what I've been
told, if the fit is right, then the other stuff, up to a point, are
details. If the fit is wrong, the bike that Armstrong uses won't work
for you.

Also get yourself a set of bicycle pants. Clipless or clip pedals really
help too (I have clipless). Part of the reason for using clipless pedals
is the change in shoe from a running shoe makes a big diff. We hear tons
about how a Dura-Ace such and such is terrific, but folks don't
understand that we newbies don't know that proper shoes make more diff
to an efficient ride than the shifter model.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

-paul
Old February 27th 05, 08:14 PM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:42:09 -0700, Paul Cassel wrote:

fitmet. I suggest you get yourself to a bicycle fit Web site or visit a
good local bike shop to be fitted properly. IMO, and what I've been
told, if the fit is right, then the other stuff, up to a point, are
details.

Very good advice.

Also get yourself a set of bicycle pants.

It's actually the shorts he's referring to, with the padding in the butt
and the tight fit. These are essential for your comfort. The pad should
be a clear benefit. The tight fit ensures that you won't sit on a
fold of fabric that will irritate you after a few miles. Stick to black
shorts for a host of reasons.

Clipless or clip pedals really
help too (I have clipless). Part of the reason for using clipless pedals
is the change in shoe from a running shoe makes a big diff.

Another good bit of advice. Bike shoes have very stiff soles, since we
don't want our feet bending around the pedal. Also, being secured to the
pedals is extremely important. You get better power that way, and it is
safer. Don't worry about not being able to get your foot out in a crash.
For one, having a leg dangle about in a crash is just something else to
break.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong

I am a total newbie... I have questions, please be gentle! blah General 9 October 13th 04 06:17 AM
Last few newbie questions... (coaster, drum, S-RAM/Nexus, etc...) Lobo Tommy General 5 April 23rd 04 02:42 AM
Newbie questions Adam Bender General 3 August 28th 03 07:29 AM
Newbie fork questions cyclist101 Techniques 4 July 22nd 03 01:41 AM
Newbie Questions... John Wordsworth Mountain Biking 2 July 12th 03 03:52 PM