Challenge Taifun, Boom extension question

Old September 16th 05, 08:00 PM
Call me Bob

Default Challenge Taifun, Boom extension question

So, the front boom on my Challenge Taifun, how much do I need to leave
inside the main frame tube?

I want to extend the reach outwards, perhaps a couple of inches or
more, but I'm not happy about how much will be left to support the
boom and pedaling forces. Examining the boom itself I can find no
minimum insertion mark, which rather surprised me, I expected one for
sure. Any Challenge owners reading, should there be one?

I'm 6' 1" and I can't believe that's the maximum the bike can cope
with, yet even with my (not especially long) legs I could definitely
do with more extension.

I bought the bike second hand and didn't get a manual with it, but
then perhaps one doesn't exist because there's no download available
from the Challenge website.

I suppose it's possible the previous owner cut the boom down, to save
a little weight, but it doesn't look like he did. Besides, he didn't
ride the bike very much and I doubt he tinkered with that sort of
thing.

Perhaps I'm sitting too low in the seat, so my hips are too far
forward leaving me needing extra reach? Not sure about that, I'm just
thinking aloud. I do think I sit quite low, but then that's where the
seat seems to want my back and neck, but I'm not experienced with this
kind of bike so I could have that wrong The seat is apparently the
long model, for taller riders, but I don't have any way to confirm
that, it's just what I was told at time of purchase (no reason to
doubt this).

Sitting in the bike, I feel comfy and the seat cradles me well. I find
I do need to sit down a bit so the boney, errr, bone, at top of
spine/bottom of neck lays below the top of the seat frame. Am I too
low there, should that part of my spine be above the seat back?

Most grateful for your thoughts, opinions or idle speculation.

"Bob"

Old September 16th 05, 11:13 PM
JW

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:00:50 +0000, Call me Bob wrote

I suppose it's possible the previous owner cut the boom down, to save
a little weight, but it doesn't look like he did.

I'm betting that's almost certainly the case. The Taifun is a Dutch bike
after all; most Dutchman aren't as "vertically challenged" as you and I.
(I'm a runtlike 6'3"). On my spanking new Taifun, I had to remove about
five inches of boom to keep from feeling silly about how much overlap
there was.

A full-size boom shouldn't be all that expensive.

Jim Wilson
Gainesville, FL
Old September 17th 05, 02:43 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Call me Bob wrote:
So, the front boom on my Challenge Taifun, how much do I need to leave
inside the main frame tube?

I want to extend the reach outwards, perhaps a couple of inches or
more, but I'm not happy about how much will be left to support the
boom and pedaling forces. Examining the boom itself I can find no
minimum insertion mark, which rather surprised me, I expected one for
sure. Any Challenge owners reading, should there be one?

I'm 6' 1" and I can't believe that's the maximum the bike can cope
with, yet even with my (not especially long) legs I could definitely
do with more extension....

The average Dutch HPV designer is 2 meters tall, so you are a midget by
their standards (although taller than Dries Baron [1]).

[1] Designer of the Optima Baron. [2]
[2] How did that bike get its name?
--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
"Abnormal would be a mountain lion speaking English." - M.V.

Old September 20th 05, 01:44 PM
Call me Bob

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:13:13 -0400, JW
wrote:

I suppose it's possible the previous owner cut the boom down, to save
a little weight, but it doesn't look like he did.

I'm betting that's almost certainly the case. The Taifun is a Dutch bike
after all; most Dutchman aren't as "vertically challenged" as you and I.
(I'm a runtlike 6'3"). On my spanking new Taifun, I had to remove about
five inches of boom to keep from feeling silly about how much overlap
there was.

Yes, you were right, it seems certain now that the boom was cut down.
I've emailed Challenge to ask their opinion on exactly how much boom
overlap I need to be safe, and if I don't have enough available I'll
spring for a new one.

A full-size boom shouldn't be all that expensive.

I've been quoted £80 ($145 US).

"Bob"