Should SUV Driving amount to Drunk Driving?

Old December 11th 07, 10:44 PM posted to alt.scooter,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

Default Should SUV Driving amount to Drunk Driving?

"Jack May" wrote in message
. ..

"Pat" wrote in message
On Dec 10, 7:42 pm, "Jack May" wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

Oil will NEVER run out. That is a common fallicy. Eventually it will
get scare and with scarcity comes a higher price. As prices get
higher, substitutes become economical. Then the substitutes take over
the demand.

As gas prices rise, bio-diesel, ethenol, etc. become more viable. At
some point they will take over and replace oil. It's just a matter of
time. Meanwhile, the last of the prohibitively expensive oil will sit
in the ground.

Certainly true.

There are reports though that we are late already and the alternative
energy sources will not be ramped up in time. Of course shortages will
cause a lot of alternative fuel production to ramp up quickly. Maybe we
will make the transition by the thinnest of margins without shutting down
the US economy. It will be a cliff hanger.

The thing is, if we insist on developing and traveling in the most wasteful
manner possible, the sheer amount that will have to be produced to fill the
gap will be much larger. If we can do some things now to rein in our own
wastefulness, the task will be much easier.

Old December 11th 07, 11:41 PM posted to alt.scooter,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Jack May" wrote:

"donquijote1954" wrote in message

What's wrong with the idea of HAVING OPTIONS? Or do you want an
America where all drive SUVs?

The problem with options is that Government often spends far more
money than can be justified to support those options.

Even after the California legislator gutted transit funds in the
budget this year, the Bay Area is still spending two thirds of it
transportation funds for four and a half percent of the travelers and
only a third of its money on the 90% plus of travelers using personal
vehicle.

The increase of funds for personal vehicles if from the $40B bonds
the voters approved to partially repair the damage done to California
by the foolish spending on transit over the last decades.

Having options is the brain dead cliché used by people that don't
understand that funds are limited and options are often far more
expensive than main stream transportation. Options usually carry far
too few people to be of any real value.

Better that than the brain-dead notion you espouse, that trillions of
dollars should be spent subsidizing the use of one car for every
commuter.

Now, you're right in that the quixotic one is a ****wit, but don't join
him in the ranks of ****wits.
Old December 11th 07, 11:43 PM posted to alt.scooter,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Jack May" wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

Nope, it's too late. The window of opportunity is closed. Oil wars are
the trend of the future. Buckle up. The US economy will be ****ed
beyond all recognition. But it it's any consolation, so will the
Chinese economy.
Old December 11th 07, 11:45 PM posted to alt.scooter,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article ,
John Everett wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 21:04:13 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:

Jack May wrote:

The last I saw, the average MPG did not change over the last
couple of decades with the introduction of SUV's.

You weren't paying attention, then. The corporate MPG requirements
specifically excluded "light trucks", which is why SUV's exist.
They are classified as trucks, thus don't count in the CAFE
statistics.

Ah yes, the old law of unintended consequences.

Hardly. The real unintended consequence is the slow-motion collapse of
the Big Three due to their failure to perceive reality for what it is.
It may be too late for them. What's your excuse?
Old December 11th 07, 11:47 PM posted to alt.scooter,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"George Conklin" wrote:

People switched to SUVs because the small cars made by GM and Japan were
so damn miserable to drive people got sick of it.

Yeah, that's why those miserable small cars outsell SUVs and the Big
Three are sucking sewage. But no, blame it on the unions! Yeah, that's
the ticket!
Old December 11th 07, 11:50 PM posted to alt.scooter,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Jack May" wrote:

"donquijote1954" wrote in message

Bicycles though are the ultimate weapon against Climate Change and
safer roads...

1- They are cheap, so they are DEMOCRATIC.

2- They are healthy, so we keep the Medical Industry on a diet.

3- They are here now, not sometime in the future.

Since the food used to power bikes is air shipped from all over the
world, it is an energy hog.

Not if you shop with a modicum of awareness. It's easy to minimize the
foods you buy from other parts of the world, and it's easy to buy
(relatively) local. Well, at least if your grocery store is also paying
a modicum of attention. Fortunately mine does (currently all the food
in my fridge, with the exception of condiments, was produced within 200
miles of my home).
Old December 12th 07, 01:57 AM posted to alt.scooter,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
In article ,
"George Conklin" wrote:

People switched to SUVs because the small cars made by GM and Japan were
so damn miserable to drive people got sick of it.

Yeah, that's why those miserable small cars outsell SUVs and the Big
Three are sucking sewage. But no, blame it on the unions! Yeah, that's
the ticket!

Your complaint was that there are too many SUVs. Now you say there are not.
In fact, people don't like those miserable small cars.

Old December 12th 07, 01:58 AM posted to alt.scooter,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

"Dane Buson" wrote in message
In rec.bicycles.misc George Conklin wrote:
"Jack May" wrote in message

Having options is the brain dead clich? used by people that don't
understand that funds are limited and options are often far more
expensive than main stream transportation. Options usually carry far
too few people to be of any real value.

But, as you have noted, transit riders tell us they are morally,
culturally and intellectually superior to people in cars, who are
isolated, lonely and, yes, as this thread says, basically drunk.

Oh no George! You've forgotten that people who use sensible
transportation (i.e., not cars) are also hipper, more sexually
desirable, fitter, and all around just more Fabulous!

Just thought I'd help you out that little bit!

Such people also enjoy sleeping on the subway cars, since it gives them
extra warmth on a cold night.

Old December 12th 07, 01:59 AM posted to alt.scooter,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
. ..

"Jack May" wrote in message
. ..

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

The saved oil will be happily used in India and China.

Old December 12th 07, 01:59 AM posted to alt.scooter,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jack May" wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

Why don't you buy the mule your grandfather rode and solve all the
world's problems?

Should SUV Driving amount to Drunk Driving? donquijote1954 General 278 December 29th 07 11:12 PM
Should SUV Driving amount to Drunk Driving? Jack May Social Issues 121 December 21st 07 02:10 AM
Courier Mail: Drunk cyclist is banned from driving Donga Australia 17 March 7th 06 03:41 AM
Drunk Driving Penalties BIKE AU Racing 0 May 12th 05 04:41 AM
True drunk driving story. Simon Mason UK 48 May 25th 04 12:48 AM