Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

Old February 28th 04, 05:40 AM
G.T.

Default Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

"Paladin" wrote in message
om...
"Dan Volker" wrote in message

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" wrote in

message
news
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:08:40 -0500, "Dan Volker"
wrote:

Some friends I ride with in Ocala are moving to the side of Las Vegas

that
has good mountain biking. My girlfriend and I will be visiting them

for
at
least a week by mid summer. The idea will be to mountain bike each

day,
and
I can imagine going as far as Sedona---but I don't really know what

the
most
worthwhile trips from there would be yet...
Any suggestions ?

Oh yes.

Given your extensive experience on the highly technical trails in
Florida, the Bootleg Canyon DH trails (30 mins South of Vegas) should
be like a cruise through the park.

Just to clarify, I am forced by my geography, to ride highly technical

crap
I'd rather not ride, but "can" and do ride.
I did a search on Bootleg Canyon, and it does look like a place I will

want
to ride, but I'm not planning on doing many 7 foot drops--2 to 3 footers

are
plenty, and I'll do some 5 foot drops if I can do them with good speed.

Big
drops ( over 3 feet) are "not" part of the obstacle practice we have in

S.
Florida, that I spend much time with.
Our trails have plenty of big ramps for people who want serious air and
don't mind flat landings. To me, going off ramps when the trail does not
require it, makes very little sense---it goes with enjoying ruining your
bike every few months ;-)
But it looks like if I want to ride Bootleg, I need to get there before

June
or after September...

Dan V

The Red Rocks, Cottonwood Canyon and Bootleg would give you lots of
riding. AMB-ID 04 will have some technical riding this summer, and we
might have a couple singlespeeders.

Add the Elvis Presta trail network, my favorite L.V. area.

Greg

Old April 11th 04, 09:20 AM
mojo deluxe

"Stephen Baker" wrote in message
Dan V says:

What I'd like to know, is why I should be takig the word of a bunch of NG
posters on ss bike exploits, over many years of what I have seen.

I thought you'd only been mountain biking for a few months. Or did I miss
something here?

Was that chain slap issue ever resolved?

Old April 12th 04, 12:25 PM
Dan Volker

"mojo deluxe" wrote in message
. ..

"Stephen Baker" wrote in message
Dan V says:

What I'd like to know, is why I should be takig the word of a bunch of

NG
posters on ss bike exploits, over many years of what I have seen.

I thought you'd only been mountain biking for a few months. Or did I

miss
something here?

Was that chain slap issue ever resolved?

Yes, thanks. I got one of the tensioners used for downhill bikes...Although,
I found later that the mechanic who assembled my bike and did the tuning had
done a terrible job of it, and this was most likely the real cause of the
slapping.

Dan V

Old April 13th 04, 01:51 AM
mojo deluxe

"Dan Volker" wrote in message
. ..

"mojo deluxe" wrote in message
. ..

"Stephen Baker" wrote in message
Dan V says:

What I'd like to know, is why I should be takig the word of a bunch

of
NG
posters on ss bike exploits, over many years of what I have seen.

I thought you'd only been mountain biking for a few months. Or did I

miss
something here?

Was that chain slap issue ever resolved?

Yes, thanks. I got one of the tensioners used for downhill

bikes...Although,
I found later that the mechanic who assembled my bike and did the tuning

had
done a terrible job of it, and this was most likely the real cause of the
slapping.

I sometimes get a little chain slap, but only when I go over something
really rough with the HT.

Old April 13th 04, 06:24 AM
S o r n i

mojo deluxe wrote:
I sometimes get a little chain slap, but only when I go over something
really rough with the HT.

That what you kids call it these days?

Bill "thought you were gonna say '...but only after a few drinks' " S.