circa 2004 Campy Record FD adjustment problems

Old May 9th 09, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default circa 2004 Campy Record FD adjustment problems

Hello RBT! I've got a record 10 speed gruppo with the exception of an
FSA gossamer compact crank. I can't seem to adjust for the small
chainring/big cog combination (granny gear - chain nearest to frame)
because there is no more room on the FD limit screw to allow it to
come in any more. Over the last few years I've fiddled with it,
rotated the FD, etc... but inevitably still get chain rub.

IIRC, the same problem existed when the bike had the original campy
53/39 crank and BB. And IIRC, this has always been tough with any
campy FD I've had.

Any way to rework this FD to get more inner travel on the cage?

Could this be a chain line problem? (no spacers to speak of on the
mega exo BB)?

Recommendation for a nice all purpose clamp-on FD that will shift a
compact well and has lots of travel in both directions?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Old May 9th 09, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On May 8, 10:44*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

It's a frame issue. A combination of fat seattube and where they
placed the BB shell in relation. If it's a metal frame, smack an
indentation where the FD touches the frame. Some frame builders do
this.
Old May 9th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

P. Chisholm schreef:
On May 8, 10:44 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

In my case indentation would not have worked. The FD didn't hit the
seattube. I had to file some material away from the FD. The OP has to
look what limits the inward movement of the FD. Campagnolo really should
address this issue. The solution is very easy.

Lou
Old May 9th 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Frame is nothing too wierd: the seattube is 31 mm round Ti. I'd
rather not "smack an indentation"! How about another FD designed for
compacts with a wide swing range? Thanks.

Chris

Old May 9th 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brewster Fong

On May 9, 7:16*am, "
wrote:
Frame is nothing too wierd: the seattube is 31 mm round Ti. *I'd
rather not "smack an indentation"! *How about another FD designed for
compacts with a wide swing range? *Thanks.

As an alternative, take a look at IRD's front derailleur *designed* to
work with compact cranks:

http://www.interlocracing.com/cdfrtder.html

Further, Campy also makes a "compact specific" frt der, that's again
*designed* to work with compact cranks; here's a lower end model:

http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...742/22323?qb=1

Good Luck!
Old May 9th 09, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

Brewster Fong wrote:
On May 9, 7:16�am, "
wrote:
Frame is nothing too wierd: the seattube is 31 mm round Ti. �I'd
rather not "smack an indentation"! �How about another FD designed for
compacts with a wide swing range? �Thanks.

As an alternative, take a look at IRD's front derailleur *designed* to
work with compact cranks:

http://www.interlocracing.com/cdfrtder.html

Further, Campy also makes a "compact specific" frt der, that's again
*designed* to work with compact cranks; here's a lower end model:

http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...742/22323?qb=1

Good Luck!

shock! horror! actually using a device designed for the job??? c'mon
dude, this is r.b.t. all we do here is ****, moan and bull****.
Old May 10th 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 9, 9:54*am, Lou Holtman wrote:
schreef:

Frame is nothing too wierd: the seattube is 31 mm round Ti. *I'd
rather not "smack an indentation"! *How about another FD designed for
compacts with a wide swing range? *Thanks.

Chris

Compact has nothing to do with it. The horizontal travel for a compact
is the same as it is for a double. The shape of the cage is compact
specific. They missed something over there in Vicenca. I have a Campy
compact specific FD and a Record compact crankset. The seattube is 31 mm
* symmetric on the BB shell and I still had to file away some material
from the FD. Campy just f*cked up IMO.

Lou

Thanks Lou - where did you file away?

Chris
Old May 10th 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

schreef:

Frame is nothing too wierd: the seattube is 31 mm round Ti. *I'd
rather not "smack an indentation"! *How about another FD designed for
compacts with a wide swing range? *Thanks.

Chris

Compact has nothing to do with it. The horizontal travel for a compact
is the same as it is for a double. The shape of the cage is compact
specific. They missed something over there in Vicenca. I have a Campy
compact specific FD and a Record compact crankset. The seattube is 31 mm
* symmetric on the BB shell and I still had to file away some material
from the FD. Campy just f*cked up IMO.

Lou

Thanks Lou - where did you file away?

Chris- Hide quoted text -

Looking at a Record double FD I have in front of me right now, I'd
file off the right side of the inner link. There's a rounded portion
that hits the outer link when it's in all the way. If you file it
flush with the flat spot that the outer limit screw rests against, you
should get a couple mm of further inward travel, without thinning the
making the outside of the pivot too thin (since it's the same
thickness as the rest of that side, and much thicker than the other
side). Just unscrew the 3mm allen screw that holds it on the pivots
and slide it off. It will be apparent where the inner link rests
against the outer link.
Old May 10th 09, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Hank Wirtz schreef:

schreef:
[...]

Hank is correct. That is the place. I just flattened the rounded portion
a bit. I didn't take the FD apart, just used a thin file carefully.
English isn't my first language so I couldn't describe it as well as
Hank did. I post a photo later this day. First my sunday morning ride ;-)

Lou