Hands hurting

Old January 11th 12, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael[_10_]

Default Hands hurting

On long rides, my hands start hurting quite a bit. I wear a decent pair of padded Bontrager gloves. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
Old January 11th 12, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tad McClellan

Michael wrote:

On long rides, my hands start hurting quite a bit. I wear a decent pair of padded Bontrager gloves. Any other suggestions?

You haven't even told us what type of bike you have...

Do you use drop bars?

Can you use Ergon grips on flat bars?

Have you tried pushing your elbows out rather than leaning straight down.

What form of hurting? Actual pain? Tingling/pins and needles. Something else?

Nobody will be able to help you much when you are withholding so
many important details...

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
Old January 12th 12, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Michael" wrote in message
On long rides, my hands start hurting quite a bit. I wear a decent
pair of padded Bontrager gloves. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Use a level and check your seat tilt. If it's even slightly nose-down,
it's pushing you forward, and you're using your hands/arms/shoulders to
push back to maintain position. There are many other possibilities, but
check this one first, since it's easy and responsible for a lot of sore
hands & shoulders.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 12th 12, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ian field

"Michael" wrote in message
On long rides, my hands start hurting quite a bit. I wear a decent pair of
padded Bontrager gloves. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Get your BG checked - could be T2 diabetes causing bad circulation to the
extremities.

Old January 13th 12, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael[_10_]

Thanks, Mike. I did move the nose of my saddle down a bit because of numbness down there. I'll raise it back up and see what happens.

Mike
Old January 13th 12, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Michael" wrote in message
Thanks, Mike. I did move the nose of my saddle down a bit because of
numbness down there. I'll raise it back up and see what happens.

Mike

Looking forward to hearing the results! In general, if you have to nose
the saddle down for comfort in that area, you may have issues better
addressed with a higher bar position or different saddle. There are
very specific applications where it might make sense to nose the saddle
downward slightly; some tri saddles are designed that way, but in their
case, your arms are resting on the elbow pads so the downward tilt is
actually helping to achieve a more-forward position (good for saving the
hamstrings for running) without undue stress.

Old January 13th 12, 08:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael[_10_]

Hey, Mike. I have a Madone 5.2 2006, and it's not 100 percent apparent to me how to raise the handlebars on my bike. Any thoughts? Is this a job for the LBS?

Thanks,

Mike
Old January 13th 12, 11:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
M5usr[_2_]

On 01/12/2012 05:59 PM, Ian Field wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message
On long rides, my hands start hurting quite a bit. I wear a decent pair of
padded Bontrager gloves. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Get your BG checked - could be T2 diabetes causing bad circulation to the
extremities.

Is it a reason developed condition? or has it hurt since 2006?

Have you ridden long distance before without problems? and just for my
curiosity what is long ? If you ride long distance on cobbles your hands
will hurt, trust me

If it is a cold weather issue, Even all mentioned could be the issue ,
have you try to dress a bit warmer on your body ? How is your feet?

hope you can enjoy riding a bike soon again.

Old January 13th 12, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael[_10_]

These are good questions. I do have some problems with hand pain when I ride outside, but the problem has increased now that I'm spending a lot of time on my Kreitlers. I tend to pedal and keep my hands on the bars the entire time I ride indoors, and my hands become problems after about an hour. I'm not one of those who can ride without hands on rollers.

Thanks,

Mike
Old January 13th 12, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
M5usr[_2_]

On 01/13/2012 04:50 PM, Michael wrote:
These are good questions. I do have some problems with hand pain when
I ride outside, but the problem has increased now that I'm spending a
lot of time on my Kreitlers. I tend to pedal and keep my hands on the
bars the entire time I ride indoors, and my hands become problems
after about an hour. I'm not one of those who can ride without hands
on rollers.

Thanks,

Mike

I believe anybody in just a fair shape should be able to ride for 1 hour
without noticeable pain (unless you are going for the hour record ,
and since you do it indoor it cannot be related to chill.
I think I would stick to what the other good people already has
suggested . A Doctor check is always a good thing , even for superman.
Since you have no problems with aerodynamics when riding on a roll , you
might be able to twist the handlebar upwards so you get a more upright
position? Actually you might also have to move the brake leavers so you
can get a firm grip. Finally - it is not just because you got yourself a
habit for squeezing the handlebars hard?

Helmet saves boy from hurting his knee Simon Mason UK 43 August 30th 11 10:59 AM
cankles hurting unizipster Unicycling 5 May 30th 06 05:49 PM
Knee hurting with 110mm cracks unicycleboy Unicycling 0 December 28th 05 08:13 PM
IS CRITICAL MASS HELPING OR HURTING US? thegaybicyclist Social Issues 15 August 11th 05 07:49 PM
Leg hurting while gliding litldude2 Unicycling 7 May 31st 05 03:49 AM