Self sealing inner tubes

Old April 19th 04, 11:56 AM
L'acrobat

Default Self sealing inner tubes

I'm looking for a set of self sealing inner tubes to go on a mountain bike I
intend to start using again for commuting.

Some years ago I used to commute by bike on a set of kevlar lined tyres,
backed by self sealing tubes (when commuting to and from work I believe in
getting there on time) and never had a problem.

I'd still carry a spare tube for disasters, but don't want the hassle of
changing it on the way to work if it can be avoided.

I don't like the add on "slime" as I watched a guy stuff a tube up whilst
adding it, but you used to be able to buy self sealing inner tubes.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Old April 27th 04, 06:42 AM
rhino

A few options for you

K-Mart sells thorn-proof tubes for ~$12 each, this is what trials rider
use to prevent flats

Hutchisan makes tubes calles 'Green" tubes, they are $25 each and ar
aimed at downhillers

Stans No-tubes are all the rage in the XC Circut, for around $100 yo
can turn your wheels in tubeless, with the added bonus of latex insid
that fixes flats as you ride. This is what I have used all year in th
MTB nationals round with no flats

Best option might be to start with the k-mart tubes and go u
from there

hope this help

-

Old April 28th 04, 04:30 AM
Mike

rhino wrote:
A few options for you.

K-Mart sells thorn-proof tubes for ~$12 each, this is what trials riders
use to prevent flats.

The LBS should have them too. They work (IME), but the catch is the
extra weight. Much more than self-seal or liners. And presumably
extra rolling resistance too?