Photos and video from a tour of Santa Barbara.

Old October 27th 04, 10:04 PM
terminaut

Default Photos and video from a tour of Santa Barbara.

Several days of rain earlier in the week, coupled with last Saturday's
excellent weather in Santa Barbara created riding conditions perfect
as can be. Four of us began early in the morning and rode till
darkness set in. Our leisurely photo-taking pace barely allowed us to
finish all three trails that we were interested in... Cold Springs,
Tunnel, and San Ysidro. None of us had ridden San Ysidro before and
it turned out to be a great way to end the day. The top portion was
flowy unlike anything else I've ever been on, then it transitioned to
some fun techie sections towards the bottom.

The video was done entirely with clips from our digicams and the (lack
of) quality sort of shows as the terrain looks relatively smooth
compared to reality.

More photos:
http://www.fooriders.com/webmain/ind...ate=thumbnails

88MB WMV video:
http://www.fooriders.com/videos/sb.wmv

The video was done entirely with clips from our digicams and
unfortunately the (lack of) quality makes the terrain look
deceptively smooth and flat.

It was beautiful blue skies for most of the day.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/set2_087.jpg

A vista of Santa Barbara's coast.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/set2_016.jpg

We parallel the road a bit to get to the Cold Springs trailhead.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8908.jpg

Smooth singletrack typical of the trails at the top.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8911.jpg

The terrain starts to get interesting after a few minutes.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8914.jpg

DrewDawg dabs as Andy aka Rut (eventually) rides cleanly by.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8921.jpg

DrewDawg takes another stab at the section and cleans it.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8924.jpg

DrewDawg rolling through.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8927.jpg

Andy aka Rut getting a little air time.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8928.jpg

Steve on a low-level flyover.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8929.jpg

Pull up, pull up!!!
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8930.jpg

Plush Turner comfort barely feels the bump.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8931.jpg

Most hikers enjoy sticking around to watch us ride, particularly on
really rough sections.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8932.jpg

Steve descends through a small channel.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8934.jpg

Andy aka Rut, with Santa Barbara below.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8936.jpg

A tricky switchback that none of us were able to clean.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8940.jpg

There were many paragliders and hang-gliders out.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8942.jpg

DrewDawg weaves through.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8944.jpg

Tight squeeze.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8947.jpg

DrewDawg, attempting to thread through the rocks.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8950.jpg

Water flow wasn't unusually high as one might have expected.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/set2_027.jpg

A very tricky section.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8956.jpg

Directly to Andy's right is a 60 foot vertical drop to death. This
section was scary to attempt to clean.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8961.jpg

Lots of rocky sections like this on Tunnel.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8968.jpg

Andy crossing a waterbar.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8971.jpg

Entry to a fun tech section.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8977.jpg

And the exit... much trickier than it appears in the photo.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8982.jpg

Riders amidst Santa Barbara's greenery.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8985.jpg

Fun twisties.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8988.jpg

Tunnel in its glory.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg8991.jpg

After a while, the rocks really wear on your arms.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg9000.jpg

Steve navigates his 5-Spot through with ease.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg9002.jpg

Andy on the waterfall section.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg9005.jpg

DrewDawg on his 1-gear-Spot.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg9007.jpg

Tunnel is sometimes relentless with the rocky stuff.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/set2_059.jpg

Big boulders to avoid.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/set2_066.jpg

Steve perfects the line.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/set2_067.jpg

Rough, rough, rough.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/set2_068.jpg

DrewDawg rolls to the left.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/set2_078.jpg

..and I follow through to the right.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/set2_079.jpg

Steve wonders where the derailleur is on DrewDawg's bike.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg9009.jpg

Just lots more of trail photos follow...
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg9010.jpg
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg9013.jpg
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg9014.jpg
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg9015.jpg
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/set2_022.jpg
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/cimg9023.jpg
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...r/set2_023.jpg

Peace.
http://www.fooriders.com/images/ride...ur/set2_08.jpg

View this thread with images inline he
http://www.fooriders.com/webmain/ind...=69956#699 56

Old October 28th 04, 12:27 AM
Ride-A-Lot

terminaut wrote:
Several days of rain earlier in the week, coupled with last Saturday's
excellent weather in Santa Barbara created riding conditions perfect
as can be. Four of us began early in the morning and rode till
darkness set in. Our leisurely photo-taking pace barely allowed us to
finish all three trails that we were interested in... Cold Springs,
Tunnel, and San Ysidro. None of us had ridden San Ysidro before and
it turned out to be a great way to end the day. The top portion was
flowy unlike anything else I've ever been on, then it transitioned to
some fun techie sections towards the bottom.

The video was done entirely with clips from our digicams and the (lack
of) quality sort of shows as the terrain looks relatively smooth
compared to reality.

Snipping a fantastic trail

Wow! That looks like fun! I think the tunnel impressed me the most.
Note to self: plan a work related conference in SB!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old October 28th 04, 01:05 AM
Chris Brown

terminaut Wrote:
Several days of rain earlier in the week, coupled with last Saturday's
excellent weather in Santa Barbara created riding conditions perfect
as can be. Four of us began early in the morning and rode till
darkness set in. Our leisurely photo-taking pace barely allowed us to
finish all three trails that we were interested in... Cold Springs,
Tunnel, and San Ysidro. None of us had ridden San Ysidro before and
it turned out to be a great way to end the day. The top portion was
flowy unlike anything else I've ever been on, then it transitioned to
some fun techie sections towards the bottom.

View this thread with images inline he
http://tinyurl.com/6c47d

Wow, very neat pictures, and lots of them. The singlespeeder was cool,
and the water bar drop had me remembering amb-id o2 when Jim M biffed
one of those right in front of me, broke some ribs, and it just got fun
from there.

cb/paladin

--
Chris Brown

Old October 28th 04, 09:01 PM
Westie

terminaut wrote:
Several days of rain earlier in the week, coupled with last Saturday's
excellent weather in Santa Barbara created riding conditions perfect
as can be.

Looks like a fantastic trail, and a fantastic ride. Nice pics too. I'm
envious.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Old October 28th 04, 09:25 PM
JD

lid (terminaut) wrote in message ...
88MB WMV video:
http://www.fooriders.com/videos/sb.wmv

I don't think I could ever ride with a group that seems to never shut
up and just ride. All of that "woohoo" stuff is quite a joke. It
sure took away from what looks like a fantastic trail in a (normally)
serene setting. Enjoy your crowd, someone has to.

JD
Old October 28th 04, 11:04 PM
small change

terminaut wrote:
Several days of rain earlier in the week, coupled with last Saturday's
excellent weather in Santa Barbara created riding conditions perfect
as can be. Four of us began early in the morning and rode till
darkness set in. Our leisurely photo-taking pace barely allowed us to
finish all three trails that we were interested in... Cold Springs,
Tunnel, and San Ysidro. None of us had ridden San Ysidro before and
it turned out to be a great way to end the day. The top portion was
flowy unlike anything else I've ever been on, then it transitioned to
some fun techie sections towards the bottom.

The video was done entirely with clips from our digicams and the (lack
of) quality sort of shows as the terrain looks relatively smooth
compared to reality.

comment on video:
1. just the music please. The peanut gallery is sort of like the instrcutor
singing along in spin class.
2. Helmet cam.

Old October 28th 04, 11:06 PM
terminaut

Ride-A-Lotwrote:

Note to self: plan a work related conference in SB!

It's a nice area to ride, especially in the winter when it's not too
hot/dry. Your trip to AZ substitutes very nicely, though.

Old October 28th 04, 11:06 PM
terminaut

JDwrote:

I don't think I could ever ride with a group that seems to never

shut up and just ride.
JD

My aren't we feeling self-important? I don't believe any of us gives
a rat's ass whether you could ride with us, but thanks anyways.

Old October 28th 04, 11:09 PM
bri719

terminaut wrote:

My aren't we feeling self-important? I don't believe any of us gives
a rat's ass whether you could ride with us, but thanks anyways.

heh.

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old October 28th 04, 11:16 PM
fooriders

"small change" wrote in message
comment on video:
1. just the music please. The peanut gallery is sort of like the
instrcutor
singing along in spin class.
2. Helmet cam.

Thanks... I'm going to remove the running-commentary by Andy for the public
version of the vid; nobody likes to hear him hootin' I guess. LOL. It's his
first time out with his digicam in action so he's quite enthusiastic.

As for a helmet-cam, I've got a setup that I've sometimes used, but fear of
mangling myself in a rockpile kept the camcorder at home so our small
cheapie digicams had to suffice. Here's a long-ish helmet-cam video I put
together of some L.A. riding...

http://www.fooriders.com/uploaded/videos/redbox1k.mp4