To cycle is to live dangerously...[

Old October 31st 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default To cycle is to live dangerously...[

On 10/31/2017 9:35 AM, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 1:07:53 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 12:47:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 9:32:05 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 8:51:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 7:09:00 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 9:59:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 12:00:37 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 8:36:50 PM UTC, wrote:

The White Anglo Saxon majority loved her so much that the government funded Planned Parenthood which are almost entirely in or on the fringes of minority neighborhoods to kill off those that they see not fit to live.

The vast majority of the abortions today are of Black and Hispanic children. Planned Parenthood is an outright white-supremacist organization. The feminists who lobby and march for abortion ditto.

Or you could cast it as a class war, rather than as a race war.

Asians and middle- and upper-class whites tend to marry and have stable families and not have abortions. But they are ofttimes the same people who lobby for abortion and Planned Parenthood (which they neither need nor use) which kills the children mainly of Black and Hispanic mothers, who don't have stable families, or any families at all (the absent father syndrome). That's definitely a class war.

One wonders how self-styled progressives can wander so far away from their vaunted multicultural humanitarianism, unless it was never sincere to begin with.

The problem with blacks is pretty clear - they have been taught by their black leaders to look for approval from the white man. They haven't any racial pride. They have a wino's outlook on life.

No matter how many great black achievers there are the media always points out the blacks kneeling in a football stadium. It wouldn't do for blacks to get the idea that blacks can do anything that whites can.

"Oh please great white man, be nice to me because what you think is the beginning and ending of my world."

Do you know that after WW II the black race ALMOST made it back to humanity? That in the war blacks learned that no one cared what color you were. That the only thing that counted was that you were an American and would cover your back?

But black leaders could see money signs in their eyes by playing the race card and achieved the re-development of racism beyond their wildest imagination.

Blacks are the only racial group that have had their own achievements hidden by their own leaders. Dr. King, who actually had self appreciation, in his speech before the million man march noted that a third of the marchers were whites who wanted to express their disgust with the white establishment. This as if the only thing that counted was the approval of whites and not the blacks making their own mark.

I am old enough to remember when blacks had to sit in the back of the bus. In Oakland of all places. Why was that? BECAUSE that was the way it always was. Almost none of the whites questioned it but none of them could care less where a black sat. I was on the Key System bus when a old black lady got on the bus with a load of groceries. She looked towards the back of the bus and just couldn't face walking back there. It was a common working white man, himself weary from a day of work, that jumped up and offered that lady his seat. The black driver wouldn't move the bus because it was against regulations and he didn't want to get himself in trouble. It was the other white passengers that cried for him to go on. Almost instantly that was the end of segregation on a bus system.

Perhaps that was bad. Perhaps the blacks should have cleared that matter up themselves. Later I read that it was really a movement of old black ladies but I was there and I saw what happened. It was one lady and it was the common working man who had had it up to the necks with a white establishment who were set in their ways.

There was a recent movie (Calculators or some such) about three black women who were mathematicians with NASA in Florida. There was a complaint by a white manager that the blacks were late to meetings to which one of them (finally) pointed out that the bathrooms were segregated and she had to go clear across the campus to use the facilities. As should have been the case the manager picked up a shovel took everyone out and knocked down that "whites only" sign. No one complained. But of course the movie insinuated that there was grumbling among the whites. Unlikely. The only reason that there were segregated bathrooms was because of the post civil warm anger that 440,000 soldiers of the Confederacy were killed and the Union blamed it upon slavery instead of the true cause of taxation of farm produce that didn't apply equally to the industrialized north.

If the blacks are EVER going to end their own racism it is going to be by taking pride in their own racial achievements. Only as a passing comment they explained in the movie that those three black ladies made great achievements an moved up the ranks of NASA not because they were black but because they were competent. Why wasn't that the centerpiece of the movie instead of making it look like whites stood in their way their entire careers?

Andre - what would be your reaction to someone being promoted in front of you? Would you immediately think that it was some sort of discrimination or some natural process? I was promoted from technician to jr. engineer, to full engineer and then to project manager and then section manager.

They wouldn't promote me beyond that because those above were like Frank and valued "formal education" over ability. So I began taking college classes. Sitting in classrooms after working an 8 hour day to hear someone telling me what I already knew. Finally I said screw this and let them eat cake.

How is that job application going?

- Frank Krygowski

Which one? I could get a dozen jobs were I to move from California. Since my wife won't go for that I have to watch Silicon Valley dissolving in the belief that you need a formal education to perform tasks that a technician could do.

Abbot Laboratories hasn't called yet. They are offering half the wage that their position would require. Do you suppose that is a serious job or an "it would be nice" position?

The electric car company to offer competition to Tesla seems to be falling apart now. They have advertised for engineering staff but never seem to hire anyone. They too have your really intelligent mindset that you need a formal education in order to screw everything you touch up.

Several other medical instrument companies cannot even read my resume because the headhunters will not submit a resume of someone that hasn't worked in three years. Again you cannot perform simple duties without a formal education.

Where did that get you again?

Where did education get Frank? Is that the question? (Hand shooting up at back of class). Me, me! I can answer that one!

Uh, it got Frank a nice retirement free from concern over the cost of beef and a house in a village -- which sounds nice so long as its not The Village.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ffr1U7KMY From what I can tell, it means no roving hordes of illegals and thugs. It sounds like he's got a pretty good life, except for riding lane center all the time without a helmet. Plus, Ohio is too cold for me.

Do you mean by not using his formal major but instead becoming a teacher with much greater retirement benefits? Had I stayed a BART technician my retirement would presently be three or four times what I am presently making.

So that is no argument at all.

Yes, but the position requiring a college education may have produced a retirement benefit ten times what you are making. If your existing 401K is only paying $500 a month, ten times that would be $60K/year, which is well within range for a PERS retirement benefit for a management employee/teacher and probably below the benefit paid to a professor.

If you went into private employment, you might make more or less, and in some employments you would have been exposed to some pension fund risk, but generally speaking, a college education will net you more income during and after your work life. http://www.frbsf.org/economic-resear...tuition-wages/

There are very few jobs in which you could make more than I was making at the height of my career.

Then you must have made some really bad decisions, based on your
complaints about your present life and finances.

The real question now is why do they not even consider someone without a degree when a resume shows experience far and away more than necessary to fulfill a position?

First, I'll note that I don't think we should be pushing college degrees
as necessary for every person and every job. I think we should be giving
higher social status to skilled workers like machinists, technicians,
etc. with practical certificates and training.

But for certain positions a college degree requirement makes sense to
those doing the hiring. As I stated earlier, in addition to a certain
minimal foundation and depth of knowledge, it demonstrates a certain
amount of discipline. It also generally correlates with at least a bit
of culture and civility.

Regarding knowledge, let's pick a neutral discipline as an illustration.
Say two flute players apply for a position in some orchestra. One
application lists a bunch of bands he's played with, several recordings
he's on, a few nice sounding events at which he's played. The other
lists the same, but also a degree or two in music performance.

An orchestra's leadership would be much more confident that the latter
was capable of playing many types of music, could play in every possible
key, and would fit in socially with other players - that is, with those
who had taken courses in music appreciation, composition, theory, music
history, not to mention things like English literature, basic math and
maybe even business.

Sure, for some jobs that wouldn't matter. A ten second flute passage in
the key of D behind a TV commercial? A gig with a punk band? Touring
with the Grateful Dead? No degree necessary. Heck, I have one friend who
toured nationally with a well-known Nashville-based singer, and my
friend doesn't even read music.

But for other positions, it's reasonable to give preference to someone
with a degree. And in situations where there may be hundreds of
applicants, employers can reasonably make it a requirement.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 31st 17, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/31/2017 9:39 AM, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 3:26:44 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 11:51:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the places you've applied to want a formal education.

That's not illogical, you know. Yes, you tell us (and probably them) that you
are wonderfully smart and a high-performing worker. But they may reasonably
suspect that if you never earned a degree, you're not as smart or as motivated
as you claim.

Yes, I know there are exceptions. But based on what you say here, you're no
Bill Gates.

Where did that get you again?

:-) It got me a very interesting and satisfying career, lots of respect,
opportunities for interesting travel, and a good retirement in a desirable
community. I've had (and still have) opportunities to contribute to the
community. I've provided well for my family. And hey, I can even afford ground
beef!

- Frank Krygowski

Bill Gates? Let me guess - you think that he a Jobs were technical people.

:-) You should learn to stop guessing.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 31st 17, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 1:45:23 PM UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 6:35:58 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 10:54:39 PM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
And I thought my magpies are psycho. Short video:
http://hub.chainreactioncycles.com/l...ombing-cyclist

Andre Jute
The revenge of Rachel Carson

Just a reminder of what this thread is about. -- AJ

Crows are a lot more likely to be dive bombing you and there are a hell of a lot more crows around here than eagles. Not to mention if you go over to San Francisco - "Fire at Will".

Magpies. I have them right outside my study window as I write this. Vicious creatures. We have lots of crows but they don't nest in my trees. What makes the magpies dangerous is numbers and proximity, and ancient resentments festered by my wife's cats on the patio under the eucalyptus both groups consider their territory.

Andre Jute
We ain't got no stinkin' eagles*

*We ain't got no stinking' Bolsheviks. We ate them a few years ago." Response by a woman outside Asheville to a question by a market researcher. I sent more researchers who uncovered the startling fact that she thought Bolsheviks were a breed of pig.
Old October 31st 17, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi writes:

Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 8:36:50 PM UTC,
wrote:

snippy snip snip

There are very few jobs in which you could make more than
I was making at the height of my career.

Then you must have made some really bad decisions, based on
your complaints about your present life and finances.

more snip

I happen to know a few other people who have suffered crippling
accidents. Financial and psychological devastation is the rule and the
mere fact that Tom is able to compose in English and plunk a keyboard
at all is miraculous. Even without brain injury, a year or two
horizontal ruins lives more often than not.

Agreed 100%. On the flip side, it's unseemly to spend too much time
patting oneself on the back for one's own good fortune, and the
superstitious part of me screams that it's just got to be bad luck.

Old October 31st 17, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 8:36:50 PM UTC,
wrote:

snippy snip snip

There are very few jobs in which you could make more than
I was making at the height of my career.

Then you must have made some really bad decisions, based on
your complaints about your present life and finances.

more snip

I happen to know a few other people who have suffered
crippling accidents. Financial and psychological devastation
is the rule and the mere fact that Tom is able to compose in
English and plunk a keyboard at all is miraculous. Even
without brain injury, a year or two horizontal ruins lives
more often than not.

Ping Tom -- when did you have your concussion, and which fall caused it? I was never clear on that.

I know Tom had several fork failures, but then he had a succession of crashes -- I recall he hit a wall at 25mph, but I don't know if that was a fork failure. I thought all this misfortunes were post-retirement. I'm telling you, retirement is dangerous. Don't do it Muzi!

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 31st 17, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 8:36:50 PM UTC,
wrote:

snippy snip snip

[...]

1936 National Track Champion Harvey Speigelhoff, when asked
in 2007 (still milking the cows before riding every morning)
about retirement,

"I knew some guys who retired. They died."

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 31st 17, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 6:35:29 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

There was a time when, in Silicon Valley, and as far as I can tell only there, when a lack of degree was almost a badge of honor, a la steve wozniak. That time has passed.
Old October 31st 17, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 7:22:41 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

What happened? You should be happily retired and not hunting around for employment.

The real question now is why do they not even consider someone without a degree when a resume shows experience far and away more than necessary to fulfill a position?

Who knows. Maybe its a way to reduce a huge applicant pool. Every employer uses some blunt tool for screening, and depending on the employment, a college degree may be a reasonable screen. It may be a convenient way of not hiring an old curmudgeon without violating the ADEA.

Because of the wages they are offering they have been completely unable to find anyone that meets their rather extreme requirements. I have the head hunter asking me if I know the federal standards on Blue Tooth.

You BUY a blue tooth chip and just transmit or receive on it. It has the standard communications protocol built into the damn thing and you don't have to know what it is.

I really am annoyed at the questions that this head hunter is asking. This isn't what he is interested in - this is what Abbot Laboratories is asking for. They have no idea what they're looking for and so ask for the best person possible while offering wages that a technician would turn down. The ONLY reason I'm interested is because it is close and would offer me a recent job when I go looking for the real thing. Sandia Laboratories did the same thing - they emailed me and then were asking questions that appear to me to be nothing more than designed to annoy you to the point that you didn't finish the application.

Yes, I had a Secret security clearance and yes it probably has lapsed but since this job doesn't require a security clearance and that stuff is on the other side of a 200 acre lot why are you asking me this?
Old October 31st 17, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

With or without a degree, they really *don't* want someone with experience
"far and away more than necessary". It's called being overqualified, and
the fear is that such an employee will not be satisfied, will want more
money, and will leave at the first chance.

One would think that, but companies are going bust a mile a minute around here because they are not hiring competent people.