Wrong way round lighting in Twickers

Old November 28th 03, 02:23 PM
Dave Kahn

Default Wrong way round lighting in Twickers

Cycling through darkest Twickenham last night I saw a bike coming
towards me showing a flashing red light at the front. I wondered what,
if anything, he would have on the back so after we'd crossed I craned
the old neck round to have a good look. Flashing yellow. Leaving aside
the issue of whether a flashing yellow light is appropriate for the
front, I can't recall having seen anyone put their lights on the wrong
way round before. Maybe he thought he needed to swap them over for the
return leg of his journey. :-)

--
Dave...
Old November 28th 03, 05:46 PM
Pete Biggs

Dave Kahn wrote:
Cycling through darkest Twickenham last night I saw a bike coming
towards me showing a flashing red light at the front. I wondered what,
if anything, he would have on the back so after we'd crossed I craned
the old neck round to have a good look. Flashing yellow. Leaving aside
the issue of whether a flashing yellow light is appropriate for the
front, I can't recall having seen anyone put their lights on the wrong
way round before. Maybe he thought he needed to swap them over for the
return leg of his journey. :-)

Are you sure he wasn't riding backwards?

I've seen a white light put on the rear befo most annoying to have that
in yer eyeballs when trying to get a draft!

~PB

Old November 28th 03, 09:31 PM
Danny Colyer

Dave Kahn wrote:
I can't recall having seen anyone put their lights on the wrong
way round before.

I met someone on the Bath-Bristol cyclepath a few years ago with a red
light on the front of his bike. He complained about being dazzled by my
lights (6W flood aimed at the ground in front of my bike, 10W spot aimed
further ahead), I pointed out that if had displayed a white light on the
front of his bike then I'd have known there was someone coming towards
me and would have turned the 10W light off.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Old November 28th 03, 10:56 PM
Jon Martin

Dave Kahn was sufficiently re-animated to talk about Wrong way round
lighting in Twickers
Cycling through darkest Twickenham last night I saw a bike coming
towards me showing a flashing red light at the front. I wondered what,
if anything, he would have on the back so after we'd crossed I craned
the old neck round to have a good look. Flashing yellow. Leaving aside
the issue of whether a flashing yellow light is appropriate for the
front, I can't recall having seen anyone put their lights on the wrong
way round before. Maybe he thought he needed to swap them over for the
return leg of his journey. :-)

I drive when it's cold; there's some person onna bike comes down the
road just as I'm trying to back out. He has a red flashing light on the
front. I watch for him now, but he ~damn~ near got knocked off by me
once or twice. The problems a
1) As I look up the road, I assume that red lights are facing /
travelling away from me. Not to mention that in this case, there are
usually plenty more red lights who are stopped at the lights 200 yds up
the road, into which he disappears.
2) Cos it's flashing, as previously discussed on this NG, it's very
difficult to locate and/or tell which way he's going due to the lack of
a continuous visual cue. So my brain has no reason to disbelieve (1)

One day, I'll be out of work a bit late and have a chance to grab (well,
call) him as he goes past.

Cheers,
Jon
--
Why does everything nice I buy at the moment keep @##*%ing breaking?
NOT!! nospam=defblade
Old November 28th 03, 11:17 PM
Richard Goodman

"Dave Kahn" wrote in message
om...
Cycling through darkest Twickenham last night I saw a bike coming
towards me showing a flashing red light at the front. I wondered what,
if anything, he would have on the back so after we'd crossed I craned
the old neck round to have a good look. Flashing yellow. Leaving aside
the issue of whether a flashing yellow light is appropriate for the
front, I can't recall having seen anyone put their lights on the wrong
way round before. Maybe he thought he needed to swap them over for the
return leg of his journey. :-)

Never seen that, although from other comments it seems not that uncommon. W
h y would anyone do that? It just seems like gobsmacking stupidity. Are
they so lacking in intelligence they haven't managed to pick up a clue about
which way round they're supposed to go by observation, or just so lacking in
intelligence that they can't realise why it's important for their own safety
that they conform to the norm?

Rich

Old November 29th 03, 02:21 PM
Simonb

Jon Martin wrote:

he ~damn~ near got knocked off by
me once or twice.

You didn't learn the first time?

1) As I look up the road, I assume that red lights are facing /
travelling away from me.

What about stopped/reversing cars?

2) Cos it's flashing, as previously discussed on this NG, it's very
difficult to locate and/or tell which way he's going due to the lack
of a continuous visual cue.

In which case it might make you drive a bit more carefully?

Simonb

Old November 29th 03, 07:29 PM
Danny Colyer

Simonb criticised:
1) As I look up the road, I assume that red lights are facing /
travelling away from me.

with:
What about stopped/reversing cars?

Stopped cars will at least not be travelling towards the OP. Reversing
cars are legally required to display white reversing lights, which offer
a pretty good clue to the direction of travel.

2) Cos it's flashing, as previously discussed on this NG, it's very
difficult to locate and/or tell which way he's going due to the lack
of a continuous visual cue.

In which case it might make you drive a bit more carefully?

How do you know that the OP needs to drive more carefully? Flashing
lights not backed up by a continuous light *are* difficult to locate and
track. As a motorist, I hate them. As a cyclist, I hate them even
more. When I'm coming up behind someone, I want to see a steady light
so that I can always see where they are. I can't usually rely on street
lighting and it's nice to be able to see someone before they get into
range of my front lights.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Old November 29th 03, 08:04 PM
Tony W

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message

Reversing
cars are legally required to display white reversing lights,

Are they? Mine passed its MOT recently without working reversing lights.
(They are fixed now).

Old November 29th 03, 10:22 PM
Danny Colyer

I wrote:
Reversing
cars are legally required to display white reversing lights,

To which Tony W responded:
Are they? Mine passed its MOT recently without working reversing
lights. (They are fixed now).

I shall eat my words at this point, because I've just checked the Road
Vehicle Lighting Regulations [1] and could find no requirement for
reversing lamps. In fact they are covered under "Optional lamps,
reflectors, rear markings and devices".

[1] http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/