More noise from my campy cassette and DT hub

Old October 28th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff[_4_]

Default More noise from my campy cassette and DT hub

Glad it's solved. A Ti bike is so nice. It is like you said: dead silent.
;-)
Lou

I may have spoken too soon. So here's the new situation - a continuation of
my posts about my creaking new campy record crank. I thought the noise was
the crank, but it ended up being the rear-hub/cassette. I have a new DT
Swiss 240 hub with a 11-21 campy record cassette (less than 500 miles so
far). I pulled the cassette off, cleaned it, put a good bit of finish-line
grease on both the freehub body and the contact points where the cassette
meets the freehub. I also greased the lockring and threads of the lockring.
Torqued the lockring to the recommended 50 nm. Rode it around last night and
all was silent. ...took it out today and all was silent for about 80 miles
or so. ...then it started back up again at the end of the ride. ...not quite
as bad as before, but it seemed to be getting worse.

I don't get it. The noise is clearly from the contacts between the cassette
and the hub, since my disassemble/reassemble solved the problem temporarily,
but I don't know what else to do to keep this quiet. I suppose I could try
antiseize instead of grease, but I don't know why I'm getting this type of
noise on components of this quality that would require me to fiddle with
various ways to keep this quiet.

Any ideas?

Old October 28th 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Jeff wrote:

[...]

The record cassettes have some sprockets riveted together on a carrier.
Drip some White Lightning (or other dry lube) between the sprockets and
the carrier and between the rivets and the carrier.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)
Old October 28th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Oct 27, 7:04 pm, "Jeff" wrote:
[...]

Could be the cogs moving on the aluminum spiders. Not unheard of with
Campag casettees. Does the noise abate when you are on the loose cog
section of the casette?

Old October 28th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff[_4_]

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote in
message ups.com...

Could be the cogs moving on the aluminum spiders. Not unheard of with
Campag casettees. Does the noise abate when you are on the loose cog
section of the casette?

If I remember correctly, the cogset only has the largest 2 or 3 cogs on the
spider (...don't remember) (the ti ones) and the others are all loose with
individual spacers. I don't think that the noise stops on any of them.

Right now, I have finish line grease on all contact surfaces - between the
spacers and cogs, under cogs in contact with freehub body etc. Lou was
suggesting dry lube instead. I'll give anything a try. ...could it be that
the grease attracts dirt that will eventually cause the noise to start in as
soon as 100 miles? ...hard to imagine, but I suppose it's possible. I have
some dry wax lube - will give it a try if other things don't work.

I'm also going to try the B tension screw adjustment. I can't see how this
matters for noise, but I don't know.

Jeff

Old October 28th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Jeff wrote:

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote in
message ups.com...

Could be the cogs moving on the aluminum spiders. Not unheard of with
Campag casettees. Does the noise abate when you are on the loose cog
section of the casette?

If I remember correctly, the cogset only has the largest 2 or 3 cogs on
the spider (...don't remember) (the ti ones) and the others are all
loose with individual spacers. I don't think that the noise stops on any
of them.

No there are 2 or 3 sets on a spider, depends what cassete you have.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)
Old October 29th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff[_4_]

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

No there are 2 or 3 sets on a spider, depends what cassete you have.

Lou

I just checked. This is a 2008 campy record 11-21 cog set. The largest 2
sprockets are bound together and the next 2 sprockets are bound together.
The remaining 6 are individual sprockets. I may be using the term spider
wrong? ...but this description is correct.

I messed with this again tonight and can get the noise to quiet down a small
amount (I think), but it is still quiet loud and annoying, especially for
high end equipment. I never had problems with any Shimano cogsets.

I disassembed and noticed that there are two spacer types. The spacer that
goes between the 1st set of bound sprocket and the 2nd set (in other words
between the 2nd and 3rd sprocket) apparently needs to go on properly as it
can be flipped upside down without really noticing. Put on the wrong way, it
looks like it might add a fraction of a mm to the width of the cogset
(because the one part fits into the next sprocket set in the one direction
but not the other). ...but this wasn't the problem as the noise persisted
regardless of which way the spacer faced.

I removed all grease, cleaned, and reassembled. This time I used a liberal
amount of antiseize on the freehub and all contact points on the sprockets
and spacers. ...it seemed to be a bit quieter, but the noise is still there.
I looked at the speedometer a bit more and noticed that I do get the noise
at lower speeds if I'm pushing somewhat (and it didn't take all that much).

....any other ideas?

Jeff