Is $1,200 USD a fair price for a customized Electra Amsterdam Royal 8?

Old March 1st 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

Default Is $1,200 USD a fair price for a customized Electra Amsterdam Royal 8?

Welcome to the latest installment of 'Jay's all-weather Chicago commuter
bike'. Here is the quote I have received from Rapid Transit Cycleshop. Is
this a fair price? I don't think I am getting much credit for the stock
parts I am rejecting (in favor of my spec'ed parts).

I want to use the same pedals as I am currently using on my folder, so I can
wear the same bike shoes, whichever bike I decide to ride that day.

Is that Brooks saddle price a bit high?

I think I want to go wider tire in back, narrower tire in front, because of
the weight distribution.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Amsterdam Royal 8 -- $850

Shimano M520 clipless pedals (comes with cleats) -- $55
Brooks B17 Black Champion Flyer w/steel rails and copper rivets -- $145
Pletscher 2 leg kickstand (silver or black?) -- $56.88
Ergon GP1 grips Men's large -- $42
Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700 x 35? 37? -- 2 x $45.87 = $91.74

Subtotal -- $1240.62
25% discount off swapped items (pedals, saddle, kickstand, grips and tires)
Subtotal after discount -- $1142.97
Tax -- $102.87
Total -- $1245.84

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for any info - J.

Old March 1st 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Jay" wrote:

[...]

Well, they're throwing in the labor of swapping pedals, seat, kickstand,
grips, and tires for free. That ought to figure into your equation.

The 25% discount is probably a reasonable maximum, considering how much
they will get for the OEM take-off parts.

I tend not to give most LBSen much stick for their pricing. If you are
concerned about the cost, well, more pricing information about the
Brooks B17 Champion Flyer can be found on the Web. It's more than Harris
charges, for example, but they stock and specialize in those saddles.

I guess what I'm saying is that they're not egregiously ripping you off.
Only you can decide if what they're offering is worth the price.

Old March 1st 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
"Jay" wrote:

[...]

Agreed. I seriously doubt that Rapid Transit is gouging Jay.

Old March 1st 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute

On Mar 1, 12:28*am, "Jay" wrote:
[...]

Around 1250 USD is around 850 Euro. For that in Dutch city bikes in
The Netherlands you get onto the bottom step of the elite class of
bikes. Though the parts of say a Gazelle will be most pleasing, that
price doesn't include a Brooks saddle or Ergon grips or special
pedals. Seems like you're getting good value for your money, given
only that the Electra Amsterdam is well made.

I have 700x37 Marathon Plus on my Gazelle and the very similar
Bontrager Satellite Elite Hardcase on my Trek. It's not a fat tyre in
any sense of the word; you inflate the hell out of them for hybrid
tyres, or I do anyway, so you get a pretty skinny rolling patch. I
wouldn't go for smaller at the front; I think that's just looking for
odd handling.

HTH.

Andre Jute
Little old intellectual on a bike -- please drive considerately
Old March 1st 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 29, 6:28 pm, "Jay" wrote:
[...]

I purchased my most dear city bike at Rapid Transit and have nothing
but good things to say about them. Even if they're 25% more than the
competition (they're not), the service is worth it. I dare to say that
they'd get Sheldon approval. I remember rolling in one day for a pair
of fresh grips and as I'm browsing the selection, I glance behind me
and see a wrench crimping a cable end onto a bare wire on my bike--
without even asking--very neighborly. Ha!

They're the kind of shop that can build you what you need if you come
in with a rusty spoke that you think is particularly handsome.

Tell 'em hi from Max who used to work at the old Artful Dodger.
Old March 1st 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Jay" wrote in message
. ..
Welcome to the latest installment of 'Jay's all-weather Chicago commuter
bike'. Here is the quote I have received from Rapid Transit Cycleshop. Is
this a fair price?

Thanks guys,

I pulled the trigger on this purchase. RTC says they will have the bike in ~
2 weeks. I know now, this is the bike I should have bought two years ago,
instead of my BF folder. But there was really no way to have known that at
the time. Thanks to the RBT bike experts, I have a much better idea, what a
year-round Chicago bike commuter needs. And I have experienced 1st hand,
daily maintenance of an exposed derailleur system. The cold, for me, is not
a limiting factor. It is the salt/sand/crud. And a folding bike, generally
speaking, is not intended for a 210lb rider, + 30lb cargo. I only found out
recently, BF is mostly selling folding toys to retired people, who want to
fold their bike, and then jet to a vacation in a national park. Not serious
year-round bike commuters in the northern plains, the heartland.

J.

Old March 1st 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Jay wrote:
"Jay" wrote in message
. ..
Welcome to the latest installment of 'Jay's all-weather Chicago commuter
bike'. Here is the quote I have received from Rapid Transit Cycleshop. Is
this a fair price?

Thanks guys,

I pulled the trigger on this purchase. RTC says they will have the bike in ~
2 weeks.

This is a memorable moment. ;-)

Lou

Old March 1st 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message
.. .
Jay wrote:
"Jay" wrote in message
. ..
Welcome to the latest installment of 'Jay's all-weather Chicago commuter
bike'. Here is the quote I have received from Rapid Transit Cycleshop.
Is this a fair price?

Thanks guys,

I pulled the trigger on this purchase. RTC says they will have the bike
in ~ 2 weeks.

This is a memorable moment. ;-)

Lou

I certainly agree, Lou; RBT regulars might want to mark their digital
calendars, for 1-Mar-2008. Jay has begun his 'faux-Dutch-bike' era. And as
everyone knows by now, I tend to share pics of my cycling experience. But
not just crummy snapshot cell-phone pics. I fuss over my digital camera
pics, even though they sometimes appear to be orphan Internet dreg. I am
working on that. I certainly need proper studio lighting, already discussed.
And maybe an Electra studio backdrop? But I fear, I am no where near their
target customer, also already discussed. Electra seems to target Hollywood
customers, based on their online catalog.

I am still pining for Andre's authentic Dutch bike. If the USD ever
recovers, perhaps I will be able to afford one. But now, I feel I need to
settle for a CA bike. Much like years ago, wine lovers had to settle for CA
wine, because French wine was just too pricey.

J.

Old March 1st 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Jay wrote:
"Lou Holtman" wrote in message
.. .
Jay wrote:
"Jay" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I come over in September. Shall I bring one with me?
Dutch bikes are so boring over here. ;-)

Lou
Old March 1st 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message
.. .

I come over in September. Shall I bring one with me?
Dutch bikes are so boring over here. ;-)

Lou

My friend LO says Dutch bikes are considered appliances. That is what I
want. A boring thing that gets me to/from work, and the grocery store,
whatever. I do not enjoy bike maintenance.

I am building a stable of bikes. I may never buy another car. Long, boring
story.

J.