WHY are cyclists riding at night ?

Old October 5th 14, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default WHY are cyclists riding at night ?

On 06/10/14 02:29, AMuzi wrote:

I bought my hub dynamo before I worked in a bike shop. Still throws out
electrons dependably.

I hope it sucks them back in again ;-)

--
JS
Old October 5th 14, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/4/2014 11:10 PM, Martin Riddle wrote:
On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 09:17:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

an evident obsession with dynamo generated electricity begs the question....

It's a blast?
Which brings up the question...
Is there cycling computer/speedo that has back light?

I have a Cateye Wireless that does. There are others.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 6th 14, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 11:29:49 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/4/2014 6:02 PM, wrote:

DUH......

yeah caws the sun went down.

no, why is the dynamo crew riding at night..

1. JB Portland commutes

2. Frank is a Vampire

3. Andrew Muzi owns an LBS

4. Holtman owns one of everything

5. ...........

I bought my hub dynamo before I worked in a bike shop. Still

throws out electrons dependably.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

BCBCBCBCBCBCBCB

not to change the subject but HOW OLD IS YOUR HUB DYNAMO an is there a photo ?

what's it made frum ? bronze ?

I commute for over 10 years . During rainy seasons in torrential downpors using the Cateye flashlight equipment . Yawl read my equipment discourse on yellow lenses and baseball cap ?

Riding here now during early fall at twilight is a wonderful ride. great sky colors, temps, ocean breeze and no traffic. Empty streets before the snowbirds head down from Home in Ohio

Real night riding at West palm beach Palm beach out for NASA shuttle launching seen from top of intercoastal bridge.

No traffic, quiet, ocean breeze off the Atlantic. Alone in the city. Well lit. Smooth pavement.

and I assume dangerous if done too often or Fri/Sat night or during bar closing rush hours and bar keeps home traffic.

Is night riding dangerous not only from potholes but oncoming bad guys ?
Old October 6th 14, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 8:09:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Snipped

Is night riding dangerous not only from potholes but oncoming bad guys ?

Only if tthe ocoming bad guy is a stealth bicyclist, has a bright front light shining in your eyes or has a bright flashing front light that blinds you. Of courses this does assume that you have adequate lights on your own bicycle.

Will be heading out soon for a quiet ride in the country. Sunday night, extremely quiet roads and really dark. With decent/good lights it's better than riding in the daytime - night time riding is extremely relaxing.

Cheers

Old October 6th 14, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 10:49:06 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, October 5, 2014 8:09:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Snipped

Is night riding dangerous not only from potholes but oncoming bad guys ?

Only if tthe ocoming bad guy is a stealth bicyclist, has a bright front light shining in your eyes or has a bright flashing front light that blinds you. Of courses this does assume that you have adequate lights on your own bicycle.

Will be heading out soon for a quiet ride in the country. Sunday night, extremely quiet roads and really dark. With decent/good lights it's better than riding in the daytime - night time riding is extremely relaxing.

Cheers

0000000000-

you can't see !
Old October 6th 14, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
brucear

The reason I ride at night is that the Auto Morons are fast asleep at Midnight.
For several years I went to bed at 9 PM and woke up and midnight for a 33 mile ride in 1 hour and 42 min. After the ride I would take a shower, go to bed and get up at 7 AM for work. I was in the best shape that I had been in for 30 years.
I also feel its much safer at night with all the lights I have on my bike..
You can make your self look like a Xmas tree going down the street if you feel you need to for your safety.
I also have reflective decals on my bike which adds much to my being seen after dark. I've had several drivers state that I was to first cyclist that they could really see at night.

Autos stay farther away from me at night because I'm so well lit up. They have no excuse to hit me as they do during the day.

I had a bad accident during a days commute and was out for 3 days in the hospital. It then took me several days to recover and feel steady on my feet again. At that time I stopped riding at night and gained a lot of weight back. Next year I'm planning on starting in again when the rain stops here in the north west.
The reason I started was doctors orders, I'm a diabetic and it put my diabetes into remission after several months of riding.

Remember they say that Americans shorten there quality of heath by 15 years because of sedentary life styles. Sedentary people also cost an extra 60% in medicare costs which is approaching 1 trillion dollars per year by 2020.

Half of all Americans will be diabetics by 2020 if we only sit on our butts.

We could pay for bike lanes and bike paths in a very short time if we would just get out of autos and ride a bike.

I get on my soap box often and tell people to not commute by auto.
Most people can work up to a 15 to 30 mile commute each day on a bike.

I'm over 50, if I can do it most people can. Bruce.
Old October 6th 14, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 10/4/2014 9:45 PM, wrote:

http://goo.gl/9zxNds

I doubt he'll get the reference.
Old October 6th 14, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 5:17:04 PM UTC+1, wrote:

Yo, Daniels, I'm used to Google offering me translations of what you fondly believe to be English, but I don't even get this question: "WHY are cyclists riding at Night ?"

Surely the question is, Why not?

Night riding The Bruiser Unicycling 20 November 4th 06 08:22 AM
Night riding tedward Unicycling 2 May 14th 06 11:43 AM
Riding at Night Tim Nunes General 14 January 21st 06 02:16 AM
Night riding. Callistus Valerius Racing 26 February 22nd 05 12:13 AM
Night riding... Absent Husband Australia 67 January 16th 05 07:44 PM