Google self driving bicycle

Old October 18th 16, 07:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Google self driving bicycle

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 5:19:23 AM UTC+1, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 10-17-2016 19:01, Andre Jute wrote:
Thanks for the links to gyrobikes -- or should that be gyrobykes?
The truth is that I'm considerably more stable on my bike than
on my feet, for some unknown reason, no doubt weird and wonderful;
I'll ask one of the physicians who ride with me if there is something
about the inner ear and blood pressure. I'm sure Jobst would have
come up with some inpenetrable but inevitably correct mechanical
theory about "precessional velocity" or some such, and we could
all have enjoyed the flame war while the little people tried
to nibble on his ankles.

In motion, the wheels have gyro effect.

--
Wes Groleau

I thought that likely, but probably not enough, even with hefty Big Apple Balloons and tubes, to keep something like an eighth of a short ton upright. On the other hand, when during an experiment to see how low I could pressurize balloons I had an instantaneous blowout at just under 50kph on a bump or a pothole at the bottom of a hill, I was at the top of the next hill from pure momentum before I thought it wise to apply brakes. Wrecked the tube and tyre, of course, but the rim was good as new after a fairy pass with a piece of sandpaper.

Andre Jute
Not that I actually know what a short ton is, but it has to be less than a long ton, which leads to an inconvenient fraction

Old October 18th 16, 08:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 23:19:20 -0500, "W. Wesley Groleau"
wrote:

On 10-17-2016 19:01, Andre Jute wrote:
Thanks for the links to gyrobikes -- or should that be gyrobykes?
The truth is that I'm considerably more stable on my bike than
on my feet, for some unknown reason, no doubt weird and wonderful;
I'll ask one of the physicians who ride with me if there is something
about the inner ear and blood pressure. I'm sure Jobst would have
come up with some inpenetrable but inevitably correct mechanical
theory about "precessional velocity" or some such, and we could
all have enjoyed the flame war while the little people tried
to nibble on his ankles.

In motion, the wheels have gyro effect.

Read http://tinyurl.com/cjjhfa2
for a discussion of why a bicycle stays upright :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 18th 16, 12:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Andre Jute wrote in
:

Not that I actually know what a short ton is, but it has to be less
than a long ton, which leads to an inconvenient fraction

You're likely having us on, but I'll spell it out for the audience at home.
A short ton is 2,000 pounds and the standard in the U.S. The long ton is 20
hundredweight (2240 pounds). Just to confuse us, the metric tonne is 2204
pounds.

Don't ask a mariner what a "ton" is, 'cause he'll start talking about
volume.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old October 18th 16, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 10-18-2016 06:44, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Don't ask a mariner what a "ton" is, 'cause he'll start talking about
volume.

Short answer: weight of the seawater the vessel can displace.

--
Wes Groleau (ex-sailor)
Old October 18th 16, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/embed/LSZPNwZex9s

Last time a cop demanded to know why I was riding on the footpath - I simply
replied; "homicidal car drivers".

He wasn't too happy, so I had to point out that he can't just pick and
choose which laws he could be bothered enforcing - If he CBA enforcing the
laws that keep the roads safe; he'll have to put up with cyclists on the
footpath.

Old October 18th 16, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 15:04:32 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

I like my bicycles and I enjoy riding them, bereft of modern
'features' though they remain.

A lily gilded is no longer a lily at all IMHO.

I believe we've had this discussion once before. I don't think there
are any readers of rec.bicycles.tech that would be considered
customers for the strange concept bicycles, weird accessories, and odd
ideas which I have been excavating from obscurity or contriving for
the occasion. The most likely audience are those that want something
different, unique, weird, ostentatious, or which solves a specific
problem.

While bolt on accessories might be considered gilding, they do
constitute a substantial part of the bicycle business and are unlikely
to disappear at the mere mention of minimalist cycling. Besides,
we've already experienced a minimalist reaction to excessive bicycle
features in the form of the fixie. Like all such pendulum swings
towards any extreme, they tend to overshoot, such as bicycles without
brakes:
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2008/mar/09/green

Gyro stabilized bicycles are certainly not going to take over the
cycling market. I had hoped they would become an expansion of the
Segway "personal transporter", where a gyro and reversible electric
power might make a bicycle do some rather useful tricks. For example,
following the walking owner while standing on its rear wheel, or
operating safely in reverse.

I'm also watching a slow creep of motorcycle technology find its way
into bicycles, mostly via eBikes. For example:
https://techcrunch.com/2011/02/11/segway-2-0-german-bicycle-on-steriods-comes-to-the-us/
http://www.maketechx.com/erockit-green-bike-project/

I've suggested this before, but might as well try again. Put a modern
concept bicycle or the most atrocious example of a stylistic
bicycle-like machine in your showroom.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=concept+bicycles
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=molded+plastic+bicycle
If that's too much, maybe a life size poster hanging from the wall.
You might sell one to someone with more money than common sense, but
you will get into many conversations with gawkers and loafers, whom
you can then steer in the direction of a more conventional bicycle.
That's why auto dealers have red convertibles in their show rooms.
Nobody buys them, but they attract quite a bit of attention from
middle aged drivers wanting to relive their youth. Gadgetry is a
customer magnet.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 18th 16, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 17:01:11 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

Thanks for the links to gyrobikes -- or should that be gyrobykes?

Ummm... I think I see a different problem with gyrobike:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=gyro

Old October 18th 16, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 12:44:44 PM UTC+1, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Andre Jute wrote in
:

Not that I actually know what a short ton is, but it has to be less
than a long ton, which leads to an inconvenient fraction

You're likely having us on,

Not at all. I may have known once, but I'm very efficient about uncluttering my mind, not letting irrelevant facts interfere with essentials; I have no problem admitting to not knowing something, including something I may have known last week or last decade. There's always someone who has reason to know and is happy to share.

but I'll spell it out for the audience at home.

I admire that. My mother was a teacher, from a family of teachers and preachers.

A short ton is 2,000 pounds and the standard in the U.S. The long ton is 20
hundredweight (2240 pounds). Just to confuse us, the metric tonne is 2204
pounds.

Aha! it must have been the metric tonne I was thinking of which leaves an inconvenient fraction.

Thanks for taking the time to straighten me out.

Andre Jute
Profundity enabled by the net
Old October 18th 16, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

Thanks for the links to gyrobikes -- or should that be gyrobykes?

Ummm... I think I see a different problem with gyrobike:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=gyro

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Make mine pastrami on rye.

I'll eat it at the drawing board while I think up a new name.

Andre Jute
Sigh
Old October 19th 16, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

THE CONCEPT advanced to fruition is a for sale transportation system covering a small city area.

The Company selling electric vehicles (Topo, linked Topo ), road equipment and computers/software to the small city.

So, you would have a commuter plan in the system, get in Topo, press a button n wait for a spot then zooom zooom zooom off to the place of work.