Wipperman chains

Old November 17th 07, 01:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

Default Wipperman chains

"Damien" wrote:

Maybe not worth it anyway. I bought one of the reusable ($10) 8 speed
connex links, and it came apart climbing a hill after about 500 kms.
Gave all the cars behind me a laugh, I ended up at work late and
bloody. I'm now using $2 KMC links on my 8 speed, and sram on my 9
speeds. Complained to my LBS, and all they could say was I probably
fitted it upside down. Considering there were no instructions
provided with the link it is entirely possible, but safety-related
parts like this should be foolproof!!

I have only once ever had a Connex link come apart, and that was on a
remarkably dusty MTB race, shifting on a steep pinch at low revs.

The link can cause problems if the link is upside down - apparently jumping
on your 11T cog. The slot should look like "/\" on the lower run of your
chain. This is shown in the *very* comprehensive instructions that came in
the small box my Connex link was packaged in. If you didn't get the box, the
LBS has taken them out of the packaging.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old November 17th 07, 02:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"TimC" wrote:

Bah.

Oh well, connexchain.com seems to imply that the connex link fit on
the 800, and I was just about to put an order in on
chainreactioncycles.com.

The better quality chains (808, 908) all come with the reusable link. It can
be used quite readily on Shimano chains also. The Sram Powerlink is also a
good link, reusable and secure. I have one of these on one of my bikes -
haven't tried to remove it yet though. Hopefully it's as easy as the Connex.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old November 19th 07, 04:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

John Henderson wrote:
Damien wrote:

Maybe not worth it anyway. I bought one of the reusable ($10)
8 speed connex links, and it came apart climbing a hill after
about 500 kms. Gave all the cars behind me a laugh, I ended up
at work late and bloody. I'm now using $2 KMC links on my 8
speed, and sram on my 9 speeds. Complained to my LBS, and all
they could say was I probably fitted it upside down.
Considering there were no instructions provided with the link
it is entirely possible, but safety-related parts like this
should be foolproof!!

I was reluctant to report a sample size of 1, but one of my sons
had a conneX Master Link break as well (a side plate snapped).
I wasn't the last person to do it up, so I can't guarantee it
was all hooked together properly.

John

I've had a SRAM Powerlink on my Shimano 9-speed chain for about 6 months
and it works well. It's extremely handy for regular cleaning. I do the
Sheldon method with kero in a bottle and the hippy shake. A friend
bought a Connex for his Dura-Ace chain and broke it within a few weeks.
I think he's too powerful!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying