DIY degreaser

Old July 8th 04, 08:25 AM
davek

Default DIY degreaser

Jeremy Collins:
Has anyone got a recipe for a DIY version? There can't
be that much to it...

Vinegar. It's the best degreaser there is and you can buy a 5 litre flagon
from your local cash & carry for under a quid. I've never actually used it
on my bike and I'm not sure if there would be any detrimental side effects,
but it might be worth a try.

d.

Old July 8th 04, 08:40 AM
Succorso

Jeremy Collins wrote:
Hi all,

I bought some Halfords citrus degreaser recently, and was
pleasantly surprised at how well it works. But at 10 quid
a litre, I can't help feeling that someone somewhere is
having a chuckle at my expense ;-)

Has anyone got a recipe for a DIY version? There can't
be that much to it...

Cheers,

There is a formulation for it he

http://www.butchers.com/msds/4324.pdf

Citrus Oil (d-Limonene) is the magic ingredient. Look for a source of
that, and do some garden shed experiments.

--
Chris
Old July 8th 04, 09:00 AM
MSeries

Jeremy Collins wrote:
Hi all,
I bought some Halfords citrus degreaser recently, and was pleasantly
surprised at how well it works. But at 10 quid a litre, I can't help
feeling that someone somewhere is having a chuckle at my expense ;-)
Has anyone got a recipe for a DIY version? There can't be that
much to it...
Cheers,
--
jc
Remove the -not from email

If you want something cheaper to clean you chain with try Diesel, 79.5p
per litre and very readily available.

Old July 8th 04, 09:17 AM
Frank X

"Jeremy Collins" wrote in message
Hi all,

I bought some Halfords citrus degreaser recently, and was
pleasantly surprised at how well it works. But at 10 quid
a litre, I can't help feeling that someone somewhere is
having a chuckle at my expense ;-)

Has anyone got a recipe for a DIY version? There can't
be that much to it...

Cheers,

Whats wrong with white spirit?

Old July 8th 04, 09:49 AM
Martin Wilson

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 07:25:59 +0000 (UTC), "davek"
wrote:

Jeremy Collins:
Has anyone got a recipe for a DIY version? There can't
be that much to it...

Vinegar. It's the best degreaser there is and you can buy a 5 litre flagon
from your local cash & carry for under a quid. I've never actually used it
on my bike and I'm not sure if there would be any detrimental side effects,
but it might be worth a try.

d.

I'm not sure submerging a chain into what came out of a flie's
backside is a good idea.
Old July 8th 04, 09:56 AM
Simonb

Martin Wilson wrote:

I'm not sure submerging a chain into what came out of a flie's
backside is a good idea.

What's a flie? And what does it have to do with vinegar?

The only problem I can envisage using vinegar would be the smell.

Old July 8th 04, 10:19 AM
Richard Bates

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:14:11 GMT, in
, Jeremy Collins
wrote:

Hi all,

I bought some Halfords citrus degreaser recently, and was
pleasantly surprised at how well it works. But at 10 quid
a litre, I can't help feeling that someone somewhere is
having a chuckle at my expense ;-)

Has anyone got a recipe for a DIY version? There can't
be that much to it...

No but degreaser can be reused. Degreaser works by dissolving grease
(surprise) which has the lovely side effect of making all the crap on
your chain come free. The crap does not get dissolved in the degreaser
and can subsequently be removed from it by filtering it through a
coffee filter paper or simply by decanting it.

The rescued solvent can be used many times before it becomes too
saturated for further use.

I don't recommend using recycled degreaser in mechanical
chain-cleaners since any crap still remaining from its previous use
could be abrasive. It is no problem for a cocktail clean though (stick
chain in scre-top container with degreaser and shake like mad)

HTH Rich x

--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with.
Old July 8th 04, 10:25 AM
Martin Wilson

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:56:20 +0100, "Simonb"
wrote:

Martin Wilson wrote:

I'm not sure submerging a chain into what came out of a flie's
backside is a good idea.

What's a flie? And what does it have to do with vinegar?

The only problem I can envisage using vinegar would be the smell.

Ok fly then. Vinegar=output from fly's backside.
Old July 8th 04, 10:26 AM
Julesh

wrote:

Jeremy Collins:

Has anyone got a recipe for a DIY version? There can't
be that much to it...

Vinegar. It's the best degreaser there is and you can buy a 5 litre flagon

from your local cash & carry for under a quid. I've never actually used it

on my bike and I'm not sure if there would be any detrimental side effects,
but it might be worth a try.

d.

I'm not sure submerging a chain into what came out of a flie's
backside is a good idea.

So that's where British vinegar (aka non-brewed condiment) comes from!
As opposed to proper vinegar, which you make by introducing wine to
vinegar bacteria. I'd always thought it was made in a chemical works
somewhere.

What's this Flie thing look like then? :-)

Jules