Trikes for women?

Old December 8th 04, 11:13 PM
Pat

Default Trikes for women?

While waiting for my car to get its wheels aligned today, I was thumbing
through an old issue of U.S. News and World Report. It think it was from
last September. I came to an article about the "new enthusiasm" for
recumbent trikes. One of the quotes was that "these trikes are perfect for
women because so many of them never learned to ride a bicycle." Groan.
Another stereotype. Then, it went on to wonder if men would ever ride
trikes, seeing as how trikes are associated with women.....Zing! another
stereotype! And this from supposedly a NEWS magazine!

Sheesh!

Pat in TX

Old December 8th 04, 11:19 PM
Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:13:43 -0600
"Pat" wrote:

While waiting for my car to get its wheels aligned today, I was thumbing
through an old issue of U.S. News and World Report. It think it was from
last September. I came to an article about the "new enthusiasm" for
recumbent trikes. One of the quotes was that "these trikes are perfect
for women because so many of them never learned to ride a bicycle."
Groan. Another stereotype. Then, it went on to wonder if men would ever
ride trikes, seeing as how trikes are associated with women.....Zing!
another stereotype! And this from supposedly a NEWS magazine!

Heck, some people look at my SWB like it's a wheelchair. Successful
design willing, i hope to weld up a suspended tadpole next year, what on
earth will people think of me then . . . .
Old December 8th 04, 11:22 PM
Pat

:
:
: Heck, some people look at my SWB like it's a wheelchair. Successful
: design willing, i hope to weld up a suspended tadpole next year, what on
: earth will people think of me then . . . .

A friend and I rode our LWB bikes in a charity ride this summer and a guy on
an upright bike passed and said, "Look at that guy riding a lawnchair!"

Pat in TX

Old December 8th 04, 11:24 PM
FloridaBent

Eric Jorgensen said:

Heck, some people look at my SWB like it's a wheelchair.

Faced with the inevitable question, "Wot's THAT thing?" I have actually told
some apparent morons that my EZ-1 is a wheelchair.

Bill, riding bent in Florida
(hence the screen name)

I may be old and fat, but by golly,

I'm Slow!

To e-mail, remove undies
Old December 8th 04, 11:31 PM
Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:22:11 -0600
"Pat" wrote:

:
:
: Heck, some people look at my SWB like it's a wheelchair. Successful
: design willing, i hope to weld up a suspended tadpole next year, what
on: earth will people think of me then . . . .

A friend and I rode our LWB bikes in a charity ride this summer and a guy
on an upright bike passed and said, "Look at that guy riding a
lawnchair!"

I think some of Tim Smith's home-built bikes and trikes have *actual
lawn chair seats on them . . . .
Old December 9th 04, 01:00 AM
Tom Sherman

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

... i hope to weld up a suspended tadpole next year, what on
earth will people think of me then . . . .

To eliminate pogo, use a jackshaft at the suspension pivot (e.g. Earth
Cycles Dragonflyer).

--
Tom Sherman - Rock Island County Illinois
Tetrahedral carbon lattices are not forever.

Old December 9th 04, 01:02 AM
Tom Sherman

Pat wrote:

While waiting for my car to get its wheels aligned today, I was thumbing
through an old issue of U.S. News and World Report. It think it was from
last September. I came to an article about the "new enthusiasm" for
recumbent trikes. One of the quotes was that "these trikes are perfect for
women because so many of them never learned to ride a bicycle." Groan.
Another stereotype. Then, it went on to wonder if men would ever ride
trikes, seeing as how trikes are associated with women.....Zing! another
stereotype! And this from supposedly a NEWS magazine!

Bill Cook [1] must have taken all the institutional cycling knowledge
with him when he retired from the magazine.

[1] http://www.barcroftcycles.com/

Old December 9th 04, 01:45 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Pat wrote:

While waiting for my car to get its wheels aligned today, I was thumbing
through an old issue of U.S. News and World Report. It think it was from
last September. I came to an article about the "new enthusiasm" for
recumbent trikes. One of the quotes was that "these trikes are perfect
for
women because so many of them never learned to ride a bicycle." Groan.
Another stereotype. Then, it went on to wonder if men would ever ride
trikes, seeing as how trikes are associated with women.....Zing! another
stereotype! And this from supposedly a NEWS magazine!

Bill Cook [1] must have taken all the institutional cycling knowledge with
him when he retired from the magazine.

Women should of course stay at home and work in the kitchen, the nursery and
go to church. I believe the Germans call this the three K's. Why are women
gallivanting about anyway? Maybe the Taliban has it right and women should
be confined in closed spaces and not paraded about in the world of us men.
There is absolutely nothing more destructive to the tranquillity of the
universe than a woman who is out of control cycling and making a spectacle
of herself.

These women cyclists are especially destructive to the likes of Larry Varney
who lose all perspective and go nuts at the sight of them in their skimpy
cycling outfits. I myself am horrified at the sight of them and avert my
eyes as I pray to the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is ever thus with us Saints -
the whores of Babylon are always diverting us from our prayers and
meditations on the Holy Eucharist.

--
Regards,

Saint Edward - Order of the Perpetual Miseries - Minnesota

Old December 9th 04, 02:43 PM

New low BB fully faired (with viewing slot) USS recumbent: "The
Burkha". Colors: black and blue. Includes tailbox childseat
(capacity up to 8 infants) and underseat bag for sanitary supplies.
Warning: may not be used on campuses, public roadways or buildings, or
other ex-purdah locations. One speed (cautious). One pedal. Option:
trailer for farming and housecleaning tools. Ask your husband to read
this ad to you and to order one for each of his wives, today!

C.C.