Tic/Tinkle Noise From Loose Ball Hubs??

Old August 22nd 05, 01:36 AM
A Muzi

Default Tic/Tinkle Noise From Loose Ball Hubs??

Ed Ness writes:
I have a low mileage set of Dura Ace 7700 hubs laced to Open Pro
rims. My rear wheel rolls nice and smooth but emits a non rhythmic
"tic/tinkle" noise as the wheel spins. This noise occurs regardless
of load and it even occurs if I spin the axle while holding the rim
stationary!
The noise seems to be coming from the loose ball bearings as they
bang into one another (Dura Ace hubs do not have a cage to space the
balls apart from one another). Repacking the hub with grease
reduces the noise but it always comes back after a handful of miles.
This particular wheel has made this noise since new. I know the
noise is in the hub so please don't say this is the "Open Pro
Click". I adjusted the cones so when the wheel is clamped in the
frame there is no side to side play at the rim.

-snip-
wrote:
By the way, bearing cages cost nothing in
performance while being a great convenience for maintenance. That way
the balls come out as a unit and go in that way even without grease.

jim beam wrote:
are you advocating the use of a bearing cage for cup & cone axles? if
so, it shows that you've never actually serviced a wheel bearing
contrary to all your "expert advice" on this subject because if you had,
you'd know that it would be impossible to get the bearing balls in or
out if they were held with a cage.

There are plenty of hub designs which ship with caged balls,
from XMart steel hubs to Campagnolo's new "big bearing'
hubs. I haven't seen any inherent issues - that can be done
well or badly.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old August 22nd 05, 01:39 AM
Jasper Janssen

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:26:21 -0700, jim beam wrote:

er, even that pathetic straw clutching exercise supports what i've been
saying. the fact that the [shimano] dust cap gets damaged on removal
/requires/ an aftermarket replacement. as you'd know if you'd ever tried.

That is *also* an *exception to the rule*, which is why people *mention it
explicitly*.

For ****'s sake.

Jasper
Old August 22nd 05, 03:24 AM
jim beam

jim beam wrote:

are you advocating the use of a bearing cage for cup & cone axles? if
so, it shows that you've never actually serviced a wheel bearing
contrary to all your "expert advice" on this subject because if you
had, you'd know that it would be impossible to get the bearing balls
in or out if they were held with a cage.

There are plenty of hub designs which ship with caged balls, from XMart
steel hubs to Campagnolo's new "big bearing' hubs. I haven't seen any
inherent issues - that can be done well or badly.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with bearing ball cages - they're used
in countless cartridge bearings all across the planet, bottom brackets,
headsets, etc., and work just fine. the question was whether you could
retrofit a loose ball hub with them to stop the noise...

Old August 22nd 05, 04:29 PM
41

jim beam wrote:

A selection from the JIMBEAMBOT's greatest misses:

dust caps are thin & weak. they are not designed for removal. attempts
to do so damage or destroy them. as you'd know if you'd ever bothered
to try.

but let's imagine for a moment that you actually /did/ bother. what
next - it's all dented & messed up! where are you going to get spares
from?

so what about shimano? techically, yes we can remove the dust caps here
too. all we do is chemically dissolve the hub body away from the race
and dust cap, extract from solution, re-cast, re-forge and re-machine.

the fact that the [shimano] dust cap gets damaged on removal /requires/
an aftermarket replacement.

Firts you suggest you'll never be able to get a spare, then you say
that the fact that you can easily get a spare, moreover one which is
removeable without any special precautions for later servicing, proves
that you are right. First you say all dust caps can't be removed, then
you say only Shimano, and this proves you are right. First you say that
it requires chemical dissolution of the hub to get the dust cap out,
then you say the fact that you can get easily removable and replaceable
aftermarket spares proves again that you are right. And you still
ignore the fact that the Shimano is an exceptional hub, the vast
majority of hubs have dust caps more or less easily removed but still
removable without damage and without your hysterics and boorishness.
And you stil haven't explained how it is that people still manage to
succeed in the Shimano freehub, with or without the Morningstar tool
available specifically for this purpose, without an aftermarket spare,
where you fail:

http://tinyurl.com/6rwzl
http://tinyurl.com/8maek
http://tinyurl.com/aem6m

and http://tinyurl.com/agzxu

And most importantly, again all without your hysterics and boorishness.

You really need to check the parameters on the bot you use to churn out
your replies. It's completely unhinged..

Old August 22nd 05, 09:29 PM
Sandy

Dans le message de
oups.com,
41 a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
jim beam wrote:

A selection from the JIMBEAMBOT's greatest misses:

dust caps are thin & weak. they are not designed for removal. attempts
to do so damage or destroy them. as you'd know if you'd ever bothered
to try.

but let's imagine for a moment that you actually /did/ bother. what
next - it's all dented & messed up! where are you going to get spares
from?

so what about shimano? techically, yes we can remove the dust caps

Well, a couple of guys get hot over a nitty-picky question, and you go for
the prose record here. No, wait, that's not all.

Read what you quoted from JB. Did that ? Then read the lies and
exaggerations you composed (words carefully chosen, and you can't escape the
facts of what you wrote right here). Geez, it's hard to figure who's got it
in for whom here. Take it to Hollywood already.
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine

La vie, c'est comme une bicyclette,
il faut avancer pour ne pas perdre l'équilibre.
-- Einstein, A.

Old August 22nd 05, 09:35 PM
41

Sandy wrote:
it's hard to figure who's got it
in for whom here.

No, really you always make it quite easy.

Swiss/Exercise Ball Glenn General 6 October 16th 05 07:55 AM
Small lange vs. large flange hubs [email protected] Techniques 0 August 9th 05 09:25 PM
nasty noise from crank - What is it? danielstevens UK 2 August 19th 04 03:08 PM
Ticking noise from wheels Keith Boone Techniques 7 September 16th 03 02:02 AM